Under 65 Insurance post election

If you are concerned about the Affordable Care Act you might find this article interesting:

http://fortune.com/2016/11/09/brainstorm-health-11-09-intro/

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

If you are concerned about the Affordable Care Act you might find this article interesting:

http://fortune.com/2016/11/09/brainstorm-health-11-09-intro/

No, no, no, you got it all wrong. Everything is going to change, if not on day one, then surly within the first 100 days! :)

At least 47% of the country believes that anyways. :(

But, yes, I totally understand, as everyone should, you can't just change things overnight. It also takes compromising to get things done.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

One analyst suggested that allowing insurance companies to cross state lines could happen right away which I think could be a good thing for our community

I heard that too, that would give us lots of options, the ability to shop around for the best product, value and price for our individual needs and potentially more options to permit less restricted travel. This will be a good thread to follow to share the products we find as they come available.

One analyst suggested that allowing insurance companies to cross state lines could happen right away which I think could be a good thing for our community

Isnt it the 10th Amendment that prevents insurance companies from crossing state lines?

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

Isnt it the 10th Amendment that prevents insurance companies from crossing state lines?

U.S. Constitution Tenth Amendment - Reserved Powers

Amendment Text

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

- See more at: http://constitution.findlaw.com/amendment10.html#sthash.gArEiqe3.dpuf

U.S. Constitution Tenth Amendment - Reserved Powers

Amendment Text

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

- See more at: http://constitution.findlaw.com/amendment10.html#sthash.gArEiqe3.dpuf

And since regulation of insurance was not one of the powers delegated to the Federal Government, that power is reserved for the states, hence, no selling of insurance across state lines. The same reason each state has it's own process of teacher certification.

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

I think for 2017 we are set but expect big changes for 2018.

Well, there's a relatively "slow" ACA demise predicted by the NY Times -- the end of all subsidies, the repeal of penalties for not signing up, etc.

Or, a fast death -- Washington Post 'nuclear option'.

We'll see.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

I don't doubt the nuclear option scenario (I suspect the filibuster is dead) but even if they immediately rescind I think they would be looking a year out or risk huge disruption in the marketplace. Right now people are signing up for 2017 coverage and will have that already in place and be paying premiums before Mr Trump takes office. So I do think they will do something fast but I don't think we will see immediate impact. It took Obamacare over 4 years to gear up. The Republicans now have the responsibility to actually govern and Mr Trump did campaign on repeal and replace. Yes, you could immediately repeal with the nuclear option but replacement will take a lot of time.

Dave and Lana Hasper

Immediate repeal of the ACA is very unlikely to happen.

For one much or most of ACA is a law passed by congress, so an actual law would have to be passed to terminate it. Not something that will happen quickly. Most likely not in the the first 100 days. I will be surprised if it happens in the first 6 months. And then it won't be implemented until open enrollment in late 2017.

Next, there is the fact that there are about 12 million people insured by ACA and another 8-9 million in associated programs implemented in the last 6 years.

Congress is not going to just tell 20 million people that, suddenly, on such and such a date in the first half of 2017, they will no longer have any insurance.

Additionally, insurance companies have a vested interest in insuring these people and having the income from them. They DO want to be able to make a profit from the insurance though. So they will lobby to have some sort of insurance continue and not loose the 12 million customers. Not to mention the employees and infrastructure the insurance companies have put into place to handle these customers. They really don't want to just terminate all the investment they made.

Like so much of what happens in politics, both on the right and the left, it is hype to get people vote for CHANGE.

Actually getting the change implemented is much different and difficult than talking about it.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

No, Terri, it was not the lack maternity coverage that made it "affordable". It was the fact that insurance campanies could pick and choose what was/wasn't covered and limit their coverage to those who were never sick. I'm an ovarian cancer survivor, and without group coverage through work, I would not have been able to get coverage except through extremely expense "high risk pool" because I had a 'pre-existing' condition.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Very true getting congressional change to happen quickly is rare but I believe any executive orders implemented to support ACA can be reversed quickly to start the process?

Source: http://www.healthline.com/health/consumer-healthcare-guide/how-does-the-affordable-care-act-work#1

What’s required under the Affordable Care Act?

The Affordable Care Act has requirements for both insurance companies and consumers. The law requires that insurers:

• not deny coverage to people due to pre-existing conditions
  • offer insurance policies to people of the same age and geographical locations, without considering gender or pre-existing conditions
  • provide patients with a plain language explanation of their benefits
  • stop setting lifetime and annual dollar limits on most benefits
  • increase covered preventive care

I think most people wanted the above when it came to healthcare reform? and would like to see that continued but the way it was paid for (see below) is the sticking point. My health insurance premiums have tripled since ACA was implemented and I would like them to go back to the rates before "reform".

The law also:

• establishes minimum standards for health insurance policies (this is where the maternity care coverage for all etc came in)
  • creates health insurance exchanges, where individuals and small businesses can compare and purchase healthcare plans
  • offers subsidies for low-income individuals and families who purchase insurance through an exchange
  • expands Medicaid coverage and reforms Medicare reimbursements
  • fines businesses with more than 50 employees that don’t offer health coverage to full-time employees

Very true getting congressional change to happen quickly is rare but I believe any executive orders implemented to support ACA can be reversed quickly to start the process?

Source: http://www.healthline.com/health/consumer-healthcare-guide/how-does-the-affordable-care-act-work#1

What’s required under the Affordable Care Act?

The Affordable Care Act has requirements for both insurance companies and consumers. The law requires that insurers:

• not deny coverage to people due to pre-existing conditions
  • offer insurance policies to people of the same age and geographical locations, without considering gender or pre-existing conditions
  • provide patients with a plain language explanation of their benefits
  • stop setting lifetime and annual dollar limits on most benefits
  • increase covered preventive care

I think most people wanted the above when it came to healthcare reform? and would like to see that continued but the way it was paid for (see below) is the sticking point. My health insurance premiums have tripled since ACA was implemented and I would like them to go back to the rates before "reform".

The law also:

• establishes minimum standards for health insurance policies (this is where the maternity care coverage for all etc came in)
  • creates health insurance exchanges, where individuals and small businesses can compare and purchase healthcare plans
  • offers subsidies for low-income individuals and families who purchase insurance through an exchange
  • expands Medicaid coverage and reforms Medicare reimbursements
  • fines businesses with more than 50 employees that don’t offer health coverage to full-time employees

Which item in the above list, you provided, was implemented by executive order, if any, so that item could be reversed quickly?

ACA is a law created by congress, not an executive order, so to repeal ACA it requires congressional action.

If someone has a list of the parts of Obamacare which are implemented by executive action it would be nice to see what could be reversed by the next president by executive action.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

Archived