Fl Blue ( FL BCBS) Blue Options vs Blue Select Plan

For anyone thinking about moving their domicile to FL, please read a plan's documents throughly or even better, talk to a FL agent for help in understanding the differences between FL Blue's BlueSelect and BlueOptions plans.

Yes they're both listed as PPO/EPO plans and have nationwide networks know as BlueCard, but one of the primary differences besides a smaller in-state network is certain services like labs, prescriptions, DME, and other services in Blue Select plans are subject to the Exclusive Provider Provision. If you use a preferred provider, which includes BlueCard providers, the service will be denied. For labs the Exclusive Provider is Quest Diagnostics. See: https://www.flblue.com/sites/flblue/...Fact_Sheet.pdf

This tidbit of info is not mentioned in the Blue Select Benefits Summary. I found documents several years old with this info, so it’s not anything new. The following document is for a small group plan, but it does a much better job of explaining the exclusions for Blue Select plans:

http://www.rogersbenefit.com/plans/P...68243-0910.pdf

BlueSelect Plans are cheaper than Blue Option plans and even with the exclusions, Blue Select Plans may still be cheaper overall for someone, but for full-timers who will not be in FL most of the time, in my opinion, Blue Options plans are a much better choice.

Sue

2008 Newmar KGDB with dual desk setup and 55" HDTV - for sale soon
2020 Advanced-RV Mercedes Sprinter van - on order
past full-timer for 8 yrs, now-seasonal

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for posting this.

I've just had a look at the FL Blue website: for 2017 they will add Walgreen's pharmacies for Blue Select. CVS and pharmacies owned by CVS (and there are lots of them) are NOT in network

Quest Diagnostics has a scattered nationwide network. As a test I put in zip codes for central New Jersey (Collingswood) , central Texas (Austin) and Durango (where I am right now). Quest Diagnostics had locations in/near the first two, but none in the much more rural Durango area.

So folks considering Blue Select should run the zip codes from the areas they are likely to be through the Quest Diagnostics website.

Archived