Help Me Spend My Money

sdixon747

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am just wondering how he is going to keep the "wraps" on it from Missouri to Kansas. I know they used to cover the new cars so the public had to go to the dealership to see them in person. The suspense is getting to me....

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

7 hours ago, beyerjf said:

I am just wondering how he is going to keep the "wraps" on it from Missouri to Kansas. I know they used to cover the new cars so the public had to go to the dealership to see them in person. The suspense is getting to me....

Hey Jeff, Ever heard of a tarp???:P See you in Hutch.......

VisitedStatesMap.gif

• 1 month later...

Reviving an old thread...............

Last evening we were lucky enough to get a guided tour of Gail and Steve's coach.

WOW! Crazy nice without being glitzy.  Solid design, quality build, and subtle features everywhere.  We even got a glass of wine at tour's end.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Yeah, that is one SWEET trailer.   Look for a video on it shortly....I'll post it once Gregg gets done editing....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

4 minutes ago, Stan Wright said:

Youtube.  It was a New Horizons bumper-pull trailer.

That is not the one, although that one is also interesting.  LINK

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

I've never seen anything like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxJSSzIaITU

There's something about that  A-frame that doesn't look quite right.  Seems undersized for the tongue weight.  Even if it's solid steel, I wouldn't think you would gain proportionally additional strength from the extra weight.  Would really appreciate hearing about the frame design.  

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

3 hours ago, spindrift said:

There's something about that  A-frame that doesn't look quite right.  Seems undersized for the tongue weight.  Even if it's solid steel, I wouldn't think you would gain proportionally additional strength from the extra weight.  Would really appreciate hearing about the frame design.

After seeing it in person, I can assure you, it's plenty stout.  That's some seriously thick tubing.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

3 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Courious how the 220V works out in long run. 

For most parks that have 50amp service, it's not a problem.  By now I would guess that the alternative 110 battery charger has been installed and tested.  It's an awesome electrically system. 

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Oh, I know it is. I was dully impressed. Using solar and 220V is what will be interesting. That is the main reason I stayed 110V on mini split. 220V mini split has an abundance of different interior units. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

17 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Oh, I know it is. I was dully impressed. Using solar and 220V is what will be interesting. That is the main reason I stayed 110V on mini split. 220V mini split has an abundance of different interior units. 

Remember that the rig is ALWAYS driven by the battery pack. It is never running off of shore power. Thus 240 volts is always available. The shore power is only used to charge the batteries.

www.jackdanmayer.com

So, if I understand correctly, this unit will always have ample voltage as long as batteries are charged. Also it will charge on 30 amp or less maybe? But will Solar be able to charge this battery bank. It also has a huge generator. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

31 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

So, if I understand correctly, this unit will always have ample voltage as long as batteries are charged. Also it will charge on 30 amp or less maybe? But will Solar be able to charge this battery bank. It also has a huge generator. 

It will charge on 30 amps or even less. There is currently no solar but when there is, it will charge it just fine. You just have to have an MPPT controller. High voltage panels will be used. It does have a huge generator, but it supports the entire house systems.  This rig has a gas full-size (27") residential dryer, so the 240 normally required for the dryer is not present. The load demand is probably not at the output of the 12K genset, but the smaller ones take up the same space. I'd likely put in a 10K, since it uses about half the diesel (or thereabouts, off the top of my head).

www.jackdanmayer.com

Yeah, I need to study up on charging requirements for lithium to get a grasp on this. I would have used a 230V mini split if I thought it would have worked. Really limited on 110 units. Steve had some serious money in those 3 inverters. Sweet

Pretty sweet.  We are just about to finish up a sealed high DC current distribution box for multiple voltages when you need battery for inverter startup current, etc.  It isn't exactly what is needed for the future completion mentioned in the vid but close enough to "spark" some ideas.  I'll get some pics up Monday when it is done enough to where you can tell what is going on.

Up here they rotate the square tube on non I-beam stinger hitches so that it doesn't tear out the corner of the tube.  The adjustable pintles on long loggers that used to be horizontal have gone to the rotated shape in the last few years too.  Non adjustable, however, still stay horizontal.  Not saying the trailer was built wrong (and OSW probably has a patent on it blocking everyone else) but keep a real close eye on those tube corners.  Maybe weld a ring around the outer tube to stop cracking like a receiver hitch does?

IMG_0326.JPG

4 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

It will charge on 30 amps or even less. There is currently no solar but when there is, it will charge it just fine. You just have to have an MPPT controller. High voltage panels will be used. It does have a huge generator, but it supports the entire house systems.  This rig has a gas full-size (27") residential dryer, so the 240 normally required for the dryer is not present. The load demand is probably not at the output of the 12K genset, but the smaller ones take up the same space. I'd likely put in a 10K, since it uses about half the diesel (or thereabouts, off the top of my head).

So why use a propane dryer when this entire trailer is designed for the sole purpose of generating electricity? It has a big generator, big battery system with 3 inverters and can plug into 50 AMP plus it is going to have a large solar array...with all of that juice why use the one thing you cannot regenerate to power your dryer?

BTW, The 10Kw and 12.5Kw gen sets are the same size and weight. They just cut the output 2.5Kw which does not result in a huge fuel savings. The 8Kw is a significant drop in size, weight and fuel consumption. It is a good compromise between the small propane units and that large heavy 10-12.5 unit. 

Chris, Tracey, Aria & Lola

2018 Volvo VNR 400, D13 I-Shift

2018 NH 48' Majestic

In watching the video the Volt battery bank was divided into 48 volt segments, the inverter/chargers 48volt?    Regarding gas onboard, my own personal preference would be all electrical but, I do see advantages to gas for heat.    My guess is, the water heaters and axu heat are propane as well?     My instant hot water heater alone is 9600 watts.   

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Archived