New Horizons 2010 Majestic Info

Ski

We had owned a 2004 32" New Horizons. Looking to get back on the road again. We were out today looking at RV's and were very surprised to see a 37' NH Majestic

model 37 RLTSS on a dealer's lot. Overall she looked pretty good. The rear window is fogging up and and there are a few cosmetic issue. On the main slide, I did noticed a few small wavy areas. Press on them and did not notice any softness, if that is how one checks for delamination? Are NH's prone to delamination on the slides?

Other than the usual items to check are there any issues with the hydraulic operated slides?

This unit has triple axles, in backing and making turns how would this compare to a twin axle unit?

We are in the process of negotiating the purchase of a 2016 GMC dually diesel. Looks like I'll be about 1,000lbs under the max of 23,200.

She is priced at $40,000.

Thanks,

Al

Well, I'm not the expert here but have owned three twin axle units, two triple axle units a long bed crew cab dually and three MDTs. My impressions are the following, the number of axles didn't seem to make any difference in turning and backing. What did make a difference is the turning radius of the truck-much bigger in the dually- and the length of the rig. With turning the hardest turn will be a tight right turn, you must position the rig carefully and use your mirrors to be sure you don't clip something on the right side. With backing it seems to me that skill and practice are very important to success. I struggle with backing because I lack the skill and tend to avoid backing when ever possible. People who drive rigs professionally seem to be able to put a trailer almost anywhere. Personally I prefer triple axle rigs because of the increased load capacity, especially when equipped with 17.5" rims/tires. I would guess that most New Horizons qualify as "heavy" and warrant three axles. Best Wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

The rear window is fogging up and and there are a few cosmetic issue. On the main slide, I did noticed a few small wavy areas. Press on them and did not notice any softness, if that is how one checks for delamination? Are NH's prone to delamination on the slides?

Fogged dual pane windows can be repaired but that isn't cheap and it isn't readily available so you may want to look into the repair before you buy. The wavy sides are difficult to say for sure but that is the first hint of delamination problems. I would be very careful about this issue as it usually means that water has penetrated the walls and will continue to get worse and is very difficult to repair successfully. Without seeing the RV it isn't possible to give an opinion on what the wavy issue is, but I would never buy any RV that I thought might have started to develop this problem.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

There have been no systematic delam issues with the 2010 New Horizons. The wave you see in the walls is likely from the lamination process. The pinch roller - until the wall design was changed in 2015 - did put "waves" into the walls when viewed at an angle. That is likely what you see. However, obviously I cannot be sure without seeing the rig.

The window in the rear is best replaced. Those are Heir windows and replacements should be available. You can, as noted above, have it rebuilt. The price will be about the same, typically. It is not very difficult to put the window in yourself if you are handy.

You want the three axles on a New Horizons. They tend to be pretty heavy, mainly because of the quality frame and structure. Despite what the "Internet experts" will tell you about the how bad three axles are, in practice they will not be an issue for you. One thing to watch for on that rig will be the tires. A coach that size will have Goodyear G614 tires on it, unless it was upgraded at build time. Those are the standard tires for that coach. When it comes time to change out tires - which is NOW if they are original - I would put on 17.5" Goodyear H rated G114 tires (or other brand equivalent). That will require a wheel upgrade. They will fit without an issue if you buy the right wheel. I would not consider leaving the G614 on it. Factor that into the price you pay.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

With my triple axle Travel Supreme, I'm careful about sharp turns forward or reverse. I cringe if forced to do it on hard pavement, tire squirm. Gravel, not as much a problem.

I agree with the HDT suggestion. Pull power may not be an issue but ride, visibility and most of all, stopping power.

I set A on the cruise and brake cruise when about to go down an incline and don't touch the brake pedal. Truck maintains constant speed down varying grades.

My brother just dropped 54k on a 1/2 ton Toyota Tundra so you could get a decent HDT Hauler for that or less.

Thank you for the replies. My limit is a 3500 diesel dually. Just don't want to get into a HDT. We'll pass on this unit and look for something a little lighter. Someone is going to get a terrific deal on this unit. Check out the NADA on it. Forgot to mention, it has motorized MCD shades. Unit has been sitting on the lot for around five months or more. The next few months are going to be slow, they might go a little lower on the price. Salesman said a good many folks were interested in it, but when they found out what they needed to tow it with, they passed on it just like we are doing.

Unit is located at Boat N RV Hamburg, PA just off I 78 and Rt 61.

Thanks again for the information.

Al

A Dodge 3500 would easily tow that.....legally.

Is it the fact you need a dually that is turning you off???

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

We found a 2016 GMC dually Duramax/Allison LB crew cab at a great price. It has sat on the dealer's lot since February, plus he has three other dullies. Needless to say he wants to move them. This is the last year of the great LML Duramax by the way. GM has a new engine for 2017 the LMM.

I forgot the exact numbers, but I believe the truck could tow the NH and still be within 1,000lbs of the max CGVWR. So, legally, it could tow it. Along with towhaul, the truck had an exhaust brake.

As nice as the NH Majestic is (and it is gorgeous) after talking about it yesterday, we both agree it did not grab us and say "this is it" the way our previous NH did.

Jack, don't think I want to tow that close to the max. Another concern is the price about $20,000 under NADA. Usually the units I have looked at are well over the NADA. If a dealer has a top of the line RV priced well under the NADA, I get real suspicious.

Thanks for the reply,

Al

My Teton bowed my springs backwards from the pin weight on my chevy 3500 dually. Had to add bags and then rode like a sled. I was under the max rating towing but not with the pin weight. I can't see that NH being lighter than my Teton. I would not let the weight turn me against it. Won't find a better made 5ther. If it's a good deal also.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Another concern is the price about $20,000 under NADA. Usually the units I have looked at are well over the NADA. If a dealer has a top of the line RV priced well under the NADA, I get real suspicious.

Thanks for the reply,

Al

In any model RV there are sometimes real bargains out there. For various reasons, but they do exist and are legitimate. I've personally purchased used RVs at VERY good prices and remarketed them. From dealers. So don't let JUST the price be a turnoff. There may very well be other reasons for the price....but my point is that you cannot assume that. That is mainly directed at others - it sounds like you lost interest in it anyway....if it is not striking you as something you want it is time to move to the next one :)

www.jackdanmayer.com

• 1 year later...

Hi everybody!  I just went and looked at this majestic 2 days ago and put a deposit on it.  I am suddenly concerned since finding this thread because I did notice the rear window was foggy but the salesman told me that tends to happen on bigger Windows with age.  I didn't notice any waves in the main slide but I took a bunch of pictures so I will try to see if I can identify them.  The unit looked nice, definitely needs some updating but I am more than willing to give it out our.  own touch.  I hope I didn't get myself into a basket case.  First rv so I guess you have to break some eggs to make an omlette.

On 11/3/2016 at 1:53 PM, Jack Mayer said:

In any model RV there are sometimes real bargains out there. For various reasons, but they do exist and are legitimate. I've personally purchased used RVs at VERY good prices and remarketed them. From dealers. So don't let JUST the price be a turnoff. There may very well be other reasons for the price....but my point is that you cannot assume that. That is mainly directed at others - it sounds like you lost interest in it anyway....if it is not striking you as something you want it is time to move to the next one :)

Sometimes dealers don't know much about coaches that don't have huge sales (NH vs Jayco, for example). They are afraid that they will be stuck with something that no one wants. People who look at a NH know about weight and quality, so they are more educated than the average tire kicker. That dealer may simply have gotten tired of the coach sitting on his lot and decided to cut the price to where he doesn't make much hoping to get it gone.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

4 hours ago, kb0zke said:

Sometimes dealers don't know much about coaches that don't have huge sales (NH vs Jayco, for example). They are afraid that they will be stuck with something that no one wants. People who look at a NH know about weight and quality, so they are more educated than the average tire kicker. That dealer may simply have gotten tired of the coach sitting on his lot and decided to cut the price to where he doesn't make much hoping to get it gone.

Thank you this is reassuring!  Considering the date this thread was started, it definitely was sitting quite a while.  I happened to find it on rvtrader.com but only by searching all brands within a 150 mile radius.  When the dealer entered the brand at time of listing they entered it as "New Horizons RV" instead of just "New Horizons" which eliminated it from the search queries when using rvtrader's drop down brand search function.  Fingers crossed

3 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

The window being fogged on a unit that old isn't unusual.  There are companies that can fix this easily.  Make it part of the sale.

Well at the time the window didn't really make an impression on me until I came across this thread.  My wife and I are planning to do some updating to the interior ( removing carpet, putting down linoleum faux wood,  removing wallpaper and changing color, removing window treatments, etc) in negotiation agreed 4k discount for an as is sale from the asking price of 35k.  I enjoy doing projects and consider myself handy but will be the first to tell you I don't know much about fiberglass.  That truck in your avatar is nice I am setting up an appointment to meet with a person selling a VNL42 with I believe the 61" dome sleeper, not the real tall one, 863k miles with 10 speed so I am excited for that!

22 hours ago, Mcwilla said:

@Jack Mayer The Mrs and I love your website!!  We found it in the beginning of our search and really got us set on owning a New Horizon.  Now I just need to trade the 2012 Chevy for a hdt or mdt,  leaning more towards the hdt.

Thanks, hope you find it all helpful.  Check the unit over carefully, and you should be able to get fixes for anything you find wrong with it (within reason). If it has sat on the dealers lot for a long time they will be very anxious to move it.

If you need help or have questions on an HDT just let me know....happy to help there if you like.

www.jackdanmayer.com

15 hours ago, Mcwilla said:

Well at the time the window didn't really make an impression on me until I came across this thread.  My wife and I are planning to do some updating to the interior ( removing carpet, putting down linoleum faux wood,  removing wallpaper and changing color, removing window treatments, etc) in negotiation agreed 4k discount for an as is sale from the asking price of 35k.  I enjoy doing projects and consider myself handy but will be the first to tell you I don't know much about fiberglass.  That truck in your avatar is nice I am setting up an appointment to meet with a person selling a VNL42 with I believe the 61" dome sleeper, not the real tall one, 863k miles with 10 speed so I am excited for that!

Hi Mcwilla,

Welcome to the forum. If you have any questions about the truck the guys in the hdt section will me more than glad to help. There are 3 rallies per year that talk about the big trucks. The nice thing is that you don't need a big truck to go to the rallies. Just bring your interest and questions. What state are you from ?

Best of luck with the sale,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Archived