DRV Mobile Suites-Beware Buying New

Larry&Donna-AK

Our personal experience. June this year we were very excited about buying a New 2017 Houston. We have regretted this purchase ever since because of poor manufacture assembly, lack of Quality Control, and lack of Customer Relation and accusatory tone by Ed Fry and Chad Olinger ( Managers of Factory Repairs ).

Note: We ordered this trailer without the half bath, adding a pantry in it's place.

Defects, 5 of the major defects from the 36 presented.

1. Door Binding

a. would not open/close without forcibly applying excessive pressure.

b. Hinges was binding with loud squeaking.

c. Door excessily rubbing on frame due to being misaligned.

2. Sewer Odor when opening Slides or using exhaust fan.

3. Pantry shelves collapsed during travel.

4. Bathroom sink would not drain

5. Slides gouge flooring, noticing roller was not mounted in bracket.

We felt it necessary to travel 2500 miles to the factory because of the severity of all the repairs required.

Upon arrival Ed Fry accused us of denting the door frame because we opened & closed the door to hard and denied any warranty repair. We attempted to explain we had to remove the screen door because of the binding. He eventually agreed to allow the Tech to beat the door into place, this repair further damaged the door frame but they said the door is fixed because it doesn't squeak any longer. The Sewer Odor they claim was fixed by changing a drain trap. The Sink Drain was fixed by using a pry bar under the drain plug and breaking the connection between the plug and closing mechanizism leaving dents on the metal surfaces. Their "bandaid" fix for the slides was to provide 2 each "Slide Out Slickers" (there are 4 slide rollers, 2 still gouge the flooring)

After our factory scheduled repair appointment but Prior to our departure from the area we told Ed Fry we still had a sewer odor with his reply being "I can pencil you in for another appointment December 15th"

We left the factory, tired of the lack of service and customer relations. Returning back West we made an appointment with a dealer in Arizona for the sewer odor, they immediately discovered the factory forgot to cap an unused Black Tank connection.

My personal opinion is don't waste your time going to the factory repair facility for warranty repair and BUYER BEWARE.

Planning Nanook version 2.0

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

Wow. Thanks for sharing. I've been considering a DRV Fullhouse toy hauler. Seems DRV is no better than any of the other RV mass producers. I hope all your issues are corrected by a respectable dealer.

2006 Freightliner M2-112 Sportchassis
2015 Keystone Raptor 412-TS
Lots of motorcycles and toys

Murfreesboro, TN.

Wow. Thanks for sharing. I've been considering a DRV Fullhouse toy hauler. Seems DRV is no better than any of the other RV mass producers. I hope all your issues are corrected by a respectable dealer.

While at the Factory I talked with 2 Full House owners and they claimed to love them. However, Both were from previous years, maybe used is better. With that being said I know people with the 44'+length that had troubles with the frame camber that prevents the slides from retracting squarely and the shrouded front jacks (leaking and/or collapsing) both are fixable with Lipper. I highly recommend testing everything multiple times before buying.

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

If you need DRV repairs warranty or not call Paul Cross at Indiana Interstate RV repairs.

He worked at DRV in early years and knew he could do better work and started this business.

We have used his shop several times as have friends with great results. Very fair in price and is an approved DRV repair and warranty shop.

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

There is only 1 or 2 dealers that I would buy a DRV from. Neither advertise much if any.

BUT

This is the reason why we want to build a custom unit. If we could find a used MotoMover that was the layout we want, it would be great. But I think we're leaning towards a Spacecraft still.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

There is only 1 or 2 dealers that I would buy a DRV from. Neither advertise much if any.

BUT

This is the reason why we want to build a custom unit. If we could find a used MotoMover that was the layout we want, it would be great. But I think we're leaning towards a Spacecraft still.

We are wishing we bought from one of the top Custom Builders...Forks RV, New Horizons, or Space Craft.

We traded our MH for a full house and are trulie sorry. The list of warranty items started before we drove to off the dealers lot and kept coming on the 1000 km drive home. It went straight to a local rv repair for 6,000 dollars of work before we really used it. After the first 6 week trip it returned to the repair shop where it remained for 4 months waiting for parts! After all this time and repair the first time I tried to retract those fancy electric stairs they refused to work! Glad I already resigned to replace them with a manual set. For the price of a fullhouse you would think DRV would be embarrassed to put out such a shoddy product. If you are considering any DRV product try to buy the longest warranty you can.

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

We traded our MH for a full house and are trulie sorry. The list of warranty items started before we drove to off the dealers lot and kept coming on the 1000 km drive home. It went straight to a local rv repair for 6,000 dollars of work before we really used it. After the first 6 week trip it returned to the repair shop where it remained for 4 months waiting for parts! After all this time and repair the first time I tried to retract those fancy electric stairs they refused to work! Glad I already resigned to replace them with a manual set. For the price of a fullhouse you would think DRV would be embarrassed to put out such a shoddy product. If you are considering any DRV product try to buy the longest warranty you can.

You did not buy a DRV you bought a THOR :( Luckily I had enough time in our RV quest to move on from the Montana's on to the DRV's and on to the New Horizons, Forks, Space Craft level. I am sorry for your issues!

Chris, Tracey, Aria & Lola

2018 Volvo VNR 400, D13 I-Shift

2018 NH 48' Majestic

BUT

Marsha, Marsha, Marsha :lol:

That was my best internet Jan Brady :D

Chris, Tracey, Aria & Lola

2018 Volvo VNR 400, D13 I-Shift

2018 NH 48' Majestic

I had to laugh... Before finding the AZ dealer we stopped at another DRV dealer, different State. After showing them all the repairs needed they wouldn't work on our trailer but suggested "a match might solve our warranty/repair issues". We couldn't believe what he said.

Four years ago the host at my Winter park bought a new Mobile Suites with all the options. They bragged about the quality of their $150K+ unit, comparing it to all the el cheapo Montanas, Cardinals, Laredos, etc. etc. At least once a week the dealership had a repairman to their trailer fixing things which shouldn't have gotten past the factory inspection.

These folks eventually had to take their beautiful Mobile Suites to the factory for extensive repairs. What's sad is that they are still bragging about their "high end" RV while slamming those el cheapo units.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Larry, I'm sorry you have to go through this. Some units do come out better than others. What a bummer.

On a general note....not specific to Larry's post.

All RVs have issues. None of them are perfect, and none of them are produced using the automated techniques used to mass-produce auto's. If you buy an RV - any RV - you will have some issues. Even the custom units. The customs typically give you a better experience for the money spent, but they also have issues, just like a non-custom RV. In other words, if you buy an RV you will have to do some repairs. It is a rare RV that does not fall into this general statement.

That said, the custom units SHOULD give you a higher-level experience. Less issues; more attention to detail; higher-end residential fixtures/appliances; WAY better infrastructure; a better repair experience, and less of it. Is it worth the money? It just depends on how you view it. Some would NEVER spend the money for a custom unit. Others view it as a reasonable value for their "home".

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

We purchased our 2006 Elite Suite new in July 2007 and are very glad we did. Back then the Elite Suite has a MSRP of $88K. Just the other day I looked at a new one that was $238K.....that's quite a jump in 10 years. Granted they are beautiful now a days but our 10 year old rig is in great shape.

When we looked at the new ones last year the dealer said why are you even looking, you have a 25 year rig and I really do believe our rig will still be in great shape in 25 years if it is taken care of.

-

I was also wondering how long it would take for Thor's name to start to surface with reference to DRV.

2006 Elite Suite 36TK3
2001 F-550 Starhauler
www.mytripjournal.com/elitesuitestravels
IN GOD WE TRUST

I guess every one has different experiences. We have a 2016 39DBRS3 and with the exception of a few minor problem, which we would expect on a new rig, we have been very pleased. Because we were going to be in the area of the factory we made an appointment for the factory to do the repairs. We found all of them, including Ed Fry, to be exceeding polite and the work was completed to our satisfaction. They even did work on items that we didn't list because they knew they were problem areas. We were asked if we got an error code occasionally on the RAYZAR air antenna. When I replied yes they said they had problems with the original units and replaced it.

I'm always sorry to hear of folks who have so many problems when they make any purchase. It turns an exciting time into a big headache. And finally just a plug for Kansas RV Center in Chanute, KS. They are the former Hitch Hiker manufacturers and are now DRV dealers. From our experience with our Hitch Hiker and purchasing the DRV from them they are probably the only place, other than the factory, I will allow to work on our rig.

And finally just a plug for Kansas RV Center in Chanute, KS. They are the former Hitch Hiker manufacturers and are now DRV dealers. From our experience with our Hitch Hiker and purchasing the DRV from them they are probably the only place, other than the factory, I will allow to work on our rig.

KS RV Center has the ability and skills to tackle ANY warranty job. Plus they have access to a weld/frame shop that can do structural work just down the street. It is one of the top places to buy a DRV in the country. And once you talk to Mike or one of his salespeople you will not want to go elsewhere. I personally recommend them if you are looking at a DRV. The fact they have a huge indoor showroom, are in the middle of the country for easy service access, and carry in-stock the widest selection of DRVs of any dealer in the country are all VERY good reasons to go to them.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

What always amazed me is the folks that claim they've had their rig for years and never-ever had a problem. Really? And I think to myself that's hard to believe. Then go to a happy hour at their place and I can find a dozen issues in the first room I come to. Things like D/N shade strings broken, some appliances not working, door way out of adjustment having to lift it to close, etc., etc. I guess they just don't see them....., kinda makes me wish I wasn't quite so anal. But heck man, this is our HOME. I like as right as I can make it. I didn't let my S&B go to hell and I'm not going to let the rig go either. Just an observation.

My point is that "problems" means different things to different folks. rockin'

'12 Excel Limitied 33ft GKE Full Timing '14 Chev 3500 CC DRW D/A named Bullet

Larry,

I am so sorry that DRV did not take care of your problems. When you initially showed them to me I was sure they would make it good. I hope we see you again soon.

Tim & Cheryl
2015 Mobile Suites 39 TKSB3
2009 Volvo 670 D13 I-Shift  “Walter”

Happily Living Somewhere In Nevada

649EF470-4F2A-4D47-8AB9-AFD3462E24F4.jpeg

Larry,

I am so sorry that DRV did not take care of your problems. When you initially showed them to me I was sure they would make it good. I hope we see you again soon.

Thanks Tim, we're still fighting the battle and expressing our experience with the repair Management at DRV. The bottom line is- We know everything will be fixed, even if I have to fix it myself.

...hopefully you and Cheryl will attend the rally again with your "Volvo Lite". ;)

Warranty- we have a 2003 Newmar, from when they were making fivers. I called them regarding a full paint, they informed me my unit was on the list of ones that had a delamination/checking problem in the darker colored areas of the sidewall. They told me they would replace the whole unit's sidewalls AND paint it again w/ original scheme for $15K as "winter work". That's the same price Precision wants right down the street in Bremen for just paint. My paint is not checking, & I know what I'm looking at. But that's a real stand-up position on a 13 Y.O. fiver !

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

Ron, Newmar is generally a "stand-up" outfit. We used to have a Newmar and ALWAYS had good experiences with them.....

www.jackdanmayer.com

I second Jack's recommendation about Kansas RV Center. This is still owned by NuWa and is where the HitchHikers were built.

The service you get there is way beyond anything I have received from any other dealers. The may be beat on price by a few dollars, but they will never be beat on service.

Daryl Denis is the service superintendent and has been with NuWa many years. His service staff has many years of experience and they can take on major repairs.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

I used to work for a boat dealer. We sold boats from upper Teen's. To multi Million dollar Yachts. The higher dollar boats, had more issues. But we went through each boat. I'm talking about 5 people went through each one. Pushed every button, pulled every knob. Then we fixed everything that was found. That was before a customer was ever allowed to see it.

Its sad how many RV's we have went through. See issues that should not have gotten out of the factory. Dealers all had the same feelings. OOOh we will fix that when the new owner tells us to fix it. :( Its gotten where its always not my issue. Let the next guy take care of it. Then the customer buys it. And starts the sad part of having to be Quality control. For the plant and sales lot. There only out to sell the most and get the most for each unit. Not make the customer feel good about owning the piece of crap. Sad we have turned into a nation of putting out junk. And let the person that spends the cash put up with it.

Pete

event.png

Warranty- we have a 2003 Newmar, from when they were making fivers. I called them regarding a full paint, they informed me my unit was on the list of ones that had a delamination/checking problem in the darker colored areas of the sidewall. They told me they would replace the whole unit's sidewalls AND paint it again w/ original scheme for $15K as "winter work". That's the same price Precision wants right down the street in Bremen for just paint. My paint is not checking, & I know what I'm looking at. But that's a real stand-up position on a 13 Y.O. fiver !

Which paint scheme?

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

In September, 2016, we went to Kansas RV (from california) and purchased our new LX410 fullhouse. We had been interested in the fullhouse since they came out, and unfortunately wasn't ready to purchase until after THOR took over (which I was really upset about). At this time nothing major, but a few minor and cosmetic things. In the process of making a list to call them.

There are some woodwork blunders, that I plan on taking pictures of and sending it to headquarters.

I love our home and happy we purchased it!

• 1 year later...

i would like to buy a larger rv. but the way things are looking i just might stay with my 01 sunny brook. sure only 24 ft, one slide.

but lucky me, no real problems over the years.

i retire in 8 years, will need a better/newer one by then. as for a "older" guy. the sunny brook does have a potentate safety issue. not in the coach. just sliding out of bed and not stepping right on the steps. (a fall issue thing).

but i do like the mobile suites elite suites. at least the ones i have viewed look good, not cheap like so many out there. heck even at a show. a number of other manf/dealers, could not even bring "good" as in unbroken/damaged. cannibalized units to show to people to try and sell. (yes parts were missing, wires just hanging out of the walls).

for $100,000.usd there should be NO problems with any rv.

try doing this with any line of cars/trucks, you would be sued to death, in six months.

Archived