Do Volvo trucks really sound like this video?

oldbutspry

Checking out vids to see what a Volvo HDT sounds like going down the highway. I found this video but the engine has a horrible pulsing sound. Is something wrong with the truck or does the video accentuate the sound? I'm a pretty tolerant person but this noise would drive me batty after 10 minutes.

Skip to about 11:30 in the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYfFrJ43DrM

The video is making the sound different.

We have found that depending on the road surface, the interior noise can be very quiet, or it can be above a normal talking level. Our truck is older so we get wind noise around the doors.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I don't really hear it either. I wonder if it's just the camera and mic setup Greg was using then. That video is about 3 years old. Here's a video from this year which may be different camera equipment. See if you hear it in here? -

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

Those that will tell you that an HDT is as quiet as some cars (or even new pickups) are suffering from "wishful thinking" in my mind. Modern HDTs, especially the Volvo, are pretty quiet. But NOT as quiet as a car, or even a diesel pusher motorhome. Of course a MH has lots of rattle noises from the stuff inside, which an HDT typically does not. A Volvo is pretty quiet, though. You WILL hear it running through the gears, but you can talk in a normal voice most of the time. Climbing heavy grades are a little noisier.

Recording from a camera WILL induce noises into the video that you would normally not hear "like that". I can tell you from my own recordings.

Take a ride in a modern Volvo and see what you think. That is the only way to tell if it works for you. HDTs are definitely not for everyone.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I don't really hear it either. I wonder if it's just the camera and mic setup Greg was using then. That video is about 3 years old. Here's a video from this year which may be different camera equipment. See if you hear it in here? -

I was just thinking I should ask if anyone has a different video. And no, that video sounds perfectly normal. I figured there's no reason it should sound strange. Thanks!!

Thanks everyone for the replies. Seems like a Volvo HDT is one of the best options for pulling a 5th wheel.

HDTs, in general, are a good option for pulling a large RV. There are many favors from which to choose, not just Volvo, though looking around here, it would seem they are favored.

When you get serious, snag a ride in several trucks, do a lot of homework, make a list of requirements v. wants, and start shopping.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Don't limit yourself to Volvo.. and I am not sure why most RVers gravitate to Volvo... the truckers in my neck of the words really don't like them.. esp the ishift.. but that is a different market.

Oddly enough, my MDT is almost as quiet as my wife's car ,,soundproofing is a wonderful thing..and I put a honking stereo system in it this year so sometimes, I don't hear any noise at all :)

If you are looking for something that is dead quiet...this type of truck isn't for you...

Before you buy, try out a few.. my grandmother used to say that there is a reason there is more than one book in a library.

Have fun and good luck finding what fits you and your lifestyle.

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

. Beagle co-pilots - Faffy and Lulu

Ok, I'll keep an open mind. I've got forever to think about it. Planning on buying something when I retire from the Army in 3 years. Just trying to get knowledgeable right now.

We did the research and bought a couple of years before we would be retiring. Since we had never driven anything over a 1/2 ton, we wanted to make sure we were comfortable with it ..and also have time to customized it to our needs. My DW retires in just over 18 months now. We have had several long trips and have made changes..and to fix / modify the truck. If you buy used like we did..regardless of how the truck was maintained..there will be things to do..

Research is good. BTW, it is best to look/buy at your trailer first..because it will dictate to a point what your tow vehicle specs should be.

Appreciate your service.

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

The newer trucks 2010+ with emissions will be a little quieter as far as exhaust and the ishift while making its own sounds does not whine while shifting. That ultra shift worked well but did not skip any gears. That would bug me as there is no need to hit 12 of 13 bobtail.

Don't limit yourself to Volvo.. and I am not sure why most RVers gravitate to Volvo... the truckers in my neck of the words really don't like them.. esp the ishift.. but that is a different market.

Volvos are popular for good reason. They have about the best ride out there, they are very ergonomic as in comfortable to sit in as well as it being very easy to reach things from the seat. They are very well laid out inside and do not have as many squeaks and rattles from the interior components as say a Frieghtliner. A big reason RV people like them is that they are easy to single due to the suspension design. Another perk is that they are made in the USA.
Don't believe every dumb assed trucker you come across. The bulk of them form their opinions based on either one experience they may have had or on no actual experience at all. You know the "my cousins brothers nephew's son in law" had this or that issue and so I now hate Volvos. If you want a proper opinion Talk to all the truckers that really drive them or the owner operators that are repeat buyers over and over again. Talking to some random trucker about truck brands is about like asking the fat bearded tattoo covered hick driving a jacked up smoke blowing Ford what they think of Ram or GM trucks.

Chris, Tracey, Aria & Lola

2018 Volvo VNR 400, D13 I-Shift

2018 NH 48' Majestic

I have restored several old autos and I am familiar with the usual smack talk. I am not particularly brand loyal in my vehicles.

At this time I have no need for a HDT (yet :> ) but I listen.

My questions come from a truck company owner (who has a HDT as his TV and is a 3rd generation trucker). He has owned and does not like the ishift. He runs 30 or so rigs and works on other rigs to keep their repair bays filled. As well from another who owns 3 companies that I know of..one is 350 or so rigs.. they actually own some Volvos but they are not their primary tractor.

The very few HDT TVs that I know run the gamut of brands.

Personally, I think the big trucks are very similar to RVs.. some proprietary stuff but lots of generic between brands.

My question was just that..not an attack. Just keeping an eyeball out for the future :)

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

Times have changed and the newer the truck no matter what brand most likely the quieter it will be.

As I've pointed out before, my RV is a 1997 peterbilt with 1.5 million miles ,Easy for a trucker to drive and I love it.

My work truck is a newer Volvo with I-shift and I really like it also.

My Pete is simple and reliable. The Volvo is much quieter,easier to drive BUT not as cool and a lot more to go wrong.

Personally, I think the big trucks are very similar to RVs.. some proprietary stuff but lots of generic between brands.

My question was just that..not an attack. Just keeping an eyeball out for the future :)

A couple of comments:

First, there is more and more proprietary stuff in these trucks. Engines, Trans, etc are all going pretty proprietary based on manufacturer. Yes, there are some accessory parts that are generic. But FAR less than in the "old day". Meaning pre 2007. It is not like that as much, anymore.

Second, I agree that there are good trucks out there other than Volvo. But Volvo has the advantage that there is a HUGE knowledge base here on used Volvo trucks. Not so much, on the others. That may or may not be worth something. If I was looking for a non-Volvo I'd start with the T680 Kenworth. Nice truck. My next choice would likely be to look at a Cascadia.....but it would be a loooonnnngggg second choice. My opinions only.....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I figure I will start looking seriously in a couple years. Then I will probably be looking for an HDT that has already been converted. I already know I want a 5th wheel 35-40' along the lines of the Jayco Pinnacle (not new, maybe 2 years old or so). The exact truck and trailer will just depend on what I find for sale that fits my purpose. Oh, and maybe a smart car - I have a 370z I like but I don't think it's likely I would find a truck with room enough to carry it.

Meanwhile, I'm just reading. Lots to learn about this stuff. Think maybe I will try to go to the HDT truck rally next year.

My next choice would likely be to look at a Cascadia.....but it would be a loooonnnngggg second choice. My opinions only.....

Couldn't see myself in one of those "Plastic Wonders". unless the price was way cheap. Even the high-end Freightliners have a plastic feel and sound. The dash squeaks alone make them a no-go for me.

Then there's this guy: NSFW

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Couldn't see myself in one of those "Plastic Wonders". unless the price was way cheap. Even the high-end Freightliners have a plastic feel and sound. The dash squeaks alone make them a no-go for me.

Then there's this guy: NSFW

Don't hold back..tell us what you really think :)

I took this forum's advice when I purchased and looked for a pre '08. Not sorry that I did.

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

My 05 Western star is quieter than my 1998 dodge 3/4 ton but then it has a 4" strait pipe no cat or muffler :P. With the MBE 4000 I do not pay attention to the no engine brake signs as there is no increase in exhaust volume with it on or off. I think the exhaust brake keeps the Jake brake sound low.

Even with the exhaust stacks right behind the door my biggest noise issue is the wind around the cab, intake cans, stacks and mirrors.

2005 Western Star, MDE 4000 ,singled mid, 12' deck with Smart Car
Bison Stratus 3 horse with 16' short wall 12' slide out

http://www.spottedhorsegallery.com/
http://www.campingandhorses.com/

Archived