Sumter Oaks and Rainbow Plantation

chindog

We are currently at the Escapees Rainbow Plantation park in Summerdale, AL, and this is a fantastic park! We love it here. But, we need to establish domicile in Florida, and want to go stay at the Escapees Sumter Oaks park in Bushnell, Florida for a while. We've talked with some folks around here, and they have told us that Sumter Oaks is a smaller park, and the sites are much closer together. We travel in a 41' class A with slides on both sides, and like places where we can extend the awning, which goes out about 10' from the patio side of the coach.

So, could anyone who has been to both parks give us a brief synopsis on the differences, and possibly the pros and cons of one of these parks over the other?

Mike and Retha Hopkins

2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G

We've been on a few different sites over the years at Sumter Oaks, but I don't recall seeing any that don't have room enough for slides and an awning. A few might be short for a 41 footer, but the office likely wouldn't assign you to one of those anyway. Presumably you would want a 50 amp site though, and they can be hard to get, depending on the time of year you'll be there and how long you'll be staying.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Summerdale is much nicer. RV Park Reviews will give you more info to compare the two. If Sumter Oaks isn't busy there will be plenty of room in the center pull through sites. We have 4 slides and had no problem and would be able to use them even if there was other RVs next to us. Greg

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

Cathy and I have been to both. We pull a 40 foot 5th wheel with a large HDT (semi). Whereas Rainbow Plantation has universally large sites, all sites were not created equal at Sumter Oaks. I used Google Earth satellite images to help choose our site. I wanted to fit and get sat reception for DTV. That worked, and the site I reserved had plenty of room for our truck, trailer and the smart car. We had no problem with 4 slides, or the awning.

I suggest you walk to your site, or drive the toad first to get the lay of the land...and tree branches etc, before you drive to site in the rig.

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

I spoke with a very helpful lady at Sumter Oaks today, and she found us a spot that our rig would fit in, and it has 50 amp service. The only issue was that we had to delay our arrival there by a couple of days due to them being booked up. But, we feel lucky that we were able to get a spot during the peak winter season. She did say that our spot has shade cover, but since we don't have a rooftop satellite, that is not an issue for us.

Mike and Retha Hopkins

2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G

• 1 month later...

Glad it worked out.

We just made reservations for Rainbows End, Rainbow Plantation and Sumter Oaks. Looking forward to staying at escapees parks.

2017 Vanleigh Vilano 375FL " Bob's Cabin / Carolyn's Beach House"
2017 F350 Dually 4x4
9 Year old Pug/Terrier
9 Year old Puggle
8 Year old Boxer/Greyhound

Once we get past Ft Clinch and Lake Griffin State Parks in January, we'll be at Sumter Oaks for 5 weeks in February and March. Hope to see some of the forum folks there! :D

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

We’re at Rainbow Plantation now, leaving Thursday, and heading to Rainbows End on 12/16 for Christmas and New Years. Last year we were at Sumter Oaks for 2 weeks in January.

Sumter Oaks has propane on site, Rainbow Plantation does not. The office staff here informed me that Rainbows End does not have propane on site but there is a truck that comes to the CG but only if there are 5 or more people needing propane. I guess that in December and January that won’t be a problem.

I think Rainbow Plantation is roomier and better laid out. In both places the staff and the visitors are very friendly and the CG is well Maintained.

Bill & Kathy & Strider our GSD
Bill - Navy Vet, Retired Police Officer
Kathy - Retired Office Manager
2014 Thor Chateau 33SW, Safe-T-Plus
2011 Chevy HHR

• 1 month later...

We are leaving Rainbow Plantation today and heading into Florida.

Rainbow Plantation is a nice park. Large spaces. Lots of trees.

Only 2 downsides. 1 not a big deal. The other can be a big deal.

1 not a big deal. Only one dumpster and no other trash cans around the park. It can be a bit of a walk to the dumpster if it is cold or raining.

2nd downside. There is a private shooting range near by. There is also a gunsmith nearby that tests guns. On the first day we were here the gunfire was almost constant. This was not a big deal to us as it was not too loud but 2 of our dogs went nuts. They do not like loud booms. Same issue with thunder. Anyway, the rest of the stay the gun fire wasn't very bad and we found having the radio on kinda loud helped.

Still a nice place. Just wanted to let others know. We are pro gun, so this isn't a ding on the gun fire.

We love heading down to the gulf shores area.

2017 Vanleigh Vilano 375FL " Bob's Cabin / Carolyn's Beach House"
2017 F350 Dually 4x4
9 Year old Pug/Terrier
9 Year old Puggle
8 Year old Boxer/Greyhound

Archived