What radio in your RV?

Kirk W

Our RV came with a cheap, China made radio and it has failed. I've been looking around at possible replacements and just wondered what others here might suggest. We have built-in speakers that are of medium quality and I have no plan to replace them so a high end, super sound isn't an issue.

What would you buy, where would you buy it, and why?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We had the same problem with our trailer. The OEM radio/tape player/cassette player failed twice and was replaced under warrantee. When it failed the third time I went to an electronics store and purchased a Jensen car radio/CD player. It was much better quality, easily connected to the existing wiring for power/ant./ and speakers and not very expensive. It's been working great for several years now. Shop at Best Buy or Walmart etc. where you can try out several brands and models.

---ron

Ron Engelsman

http://www.mytripjournal.com/our_odyssey

Full-Timing since mid 2007

23' Komfort TT

2004 Chevy Avalanche 4x4 8.1L

My OEM radio was not a single DIN. But the way it was mounted in a cabinet area allowed me quite easily make and install a "backer board" to fill that space and then cut a single DIN mounting hole in that board. This worked out great for my situation and allowed me use the more common and less expensive car stereo.

---ron

Ron Engelsman

http://www.mytripjournal.com/our_odyssey

Full-Timing since mid 2007

23' Komfort TT

2004 Chevy Avalanche 4x4 8.1L

Our fiver was a repo when we bought it, so the sound system had been ripped out. Surround Sound speakers and wiring still in place. I bought a mid-price amplifier from Best Buy and wired it into the speakers. One input used for the TV/Satellite, one for the Sirius dock (also have a Sirius dock in the truck), and another for the iPod. Did not bother with an actual radio since FM reception is usually questionable in areas we tend to visit. We listen to NPR in the morning and Sirius provides that.

Set up has worked great for years.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Howdy!

I have opted not to use the radio in our RV, our toy hauler 5er and our large MDT. I now use my smartphone or tablet and a very good Bluetooth speaker. I use either downloaded music or I use our Amazon Prime, IHeart radio app etc. The Bluetooth speaker is easily moved from the RV to the truck and we can also enjoy it outside if we want.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

The present (dead) radio is from Dual Electronics, made in China and it's the traditional size radio, single din.

As said above, Crutchfield is a good place to start your shopping, however, if you want to replace the radio with something similar you can buy Dual radios at Walmart for under $50, likely with more features than your currently dead one had.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

I'd use Amazon to check the ratings. In our previous Arctic Fox we had the factory radio CD player (plus AUX jack for the DVD player).

It sounded fine but the MENU system was as intuitive as a Chinese fire brigade. I looked it up on Amazon and found it had a two star rating.

Whatever you get, make sure it has an easy to understand menu and tuning system.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

Sounds silly but we really liked the remote control on our radio in our truck. The radio was hard for the passenger's short arms to reach and the remote meant she could keep the seat belt on while looking for a station she liked.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Well, the radio choice is made and a very good one has been found! (Thanks fly2low!) It is by Jenson, has a remote, CD player, and an input for our MP3 device. The remote is nice for our RV use and the old one had one also. It is one previously used which I got from fly2low!

All of the advice is appreciated and especially the PM from fly2low!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Our 2016 Ram 2500 SLT came with a year script to Sirius FM. The only thing more annoying than commercials is the inane chatter from the DJ. Luckily our own commercial/chatter free Ipod can be hooked up to play for hours if needed without repeating a song. I'd look for something along that line if I was in the market.

Archived