Texas Class A or B License Upgrade FAQs

David-and-Cheryl

OK,  the class A license has been around for years I get it now...... I had my first Class A in MN a few years back in 1982 the difference being it was a commercial license not a wannabe. Guess the information I received was only as good as the supposed qualified person told me.

Life is great when you can scratch that hitch itch.........

1999, Volvo VNL 610, D12/10 spd Eaton, Manual, 370 gears   Aka  The Beast

2014 Crossroads Redwood 38GK     Used to be called the Beast Tamer when I had to tow with my old 1 ton Dodge but not anymore!!

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/28/2017 at 6:19 PM, bigjim said:

There are different "levels" of qualified persons out there.:) There are even different levels of qualified persons that will answer your questions on this forum, too. :P  The trick is sorting them out.  But there are some really informative folks here once you do.

Thanks! Big Jim, the only thing I was trying to convey was the process I went through to get legal to drive in the state (TX) I live in. Since I just went through it I feel it was a dog and pony show that not even the state employees don't really have a clue how to run. Like so many things today you can't talk to anyone in person it is done all through a computer and for those of us that are old school sometimes it is hard to figure out which door to kick in to get an honest answer.   If anyone has any more questions about what I went through and you will need to get through the process then feel free to PM me I would be happy to help you out.  Happy New Year Everyone....

Life is great when you can scratch that hitch itch.........

1999, Volvo VNL 610, D12/10 spd Eaton, Manual, 370 gears   Aka  The Beast

2014 Crossroads Redwood 38GK     Used to be called the Beast Tamer when I had to tow with my old 1 ton Dodge but not anymore!!

My wife and I both successfully completed our driving test for the Class B non-CDL license in Livingston this morning.  We drove our Class A motorhome to the Livingston DPS location, parked in the designated location on the street and finished back-to-back exams.  I thought the test was very fair, it was pretty simple, and the examiner was pleasant and professional.  Here's a quick summary:

We arrived about 20 minutes early and started the exam as soon as we walked in and signed in.  The exam started with the examiner outside of the motorhome checking lights, turn signals, brake lights and the horn while I watched her signals through the windshield or mirror.  She then entered the coach and we went into a parking lot where I did a series of turns to show I could maneuver the coach.  None of the turns were tight or difficult.  She then had me drive parallel to a curb on the passenger side, exited the coach, and watched from the rear while I backed up in a straight line along the curb about 25 yards.  I kept her in sight in the mirror at all times and she told me when to stop backing.

She got back into the coach and we did about a 15-20 minute drive.  It was a combination of city (in Livingston) and freeway (US 59)driving, with one entrance onto the freeway and one exit.  In every instance she gave very clear directions where to go and plenty of time to execute a turn or lane change. 

We then returned to the DPS office, and parked in the same spot.  This was a pretty simple test, no tricks, and very painless.  There's no doubt the folks in the Livingston office are accustomed to dealing with the RV Community and want to make the process of getting a license in Texas fair, but as simple as possible.  They are definitely knowledgeable about the different tests and licenses required based on your RV.

Glad we're done!

I thought I had heard the A/B non-CDL test was no longer done in Livingston and was only done at designated centers. That obviously is not true. So am I imagining things, or has that been changed??

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Jack Said - I thought I had heard the A/B non-CDL test was no longer done in Livingston and was only done at designated centers. 

Texas DPS site for Regular Class A/B testing locations - And Livingston is not on the list, but who knows?

Livingston is on the CDL testing location list, so maybe at the CDL locations you can also do the Regular Class A/B (it is unclear from these two pages and associated CDL DL-95 document -  page 1 & page 2 )

Edited by TreyandSusan

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

• 4 weeks later...

I was able to take the written and driving test in Beaumont.  I currently own a Super C motorhome that has a CVWR of over 26,000 pounds.  The GVWR is less than 26.000 pounds.   They let me test for the Class B license in the Super C motorhome.  I am trading in the Class C motorhome for a Class A motorhome and wanted to get the test out of the way.  The information at the top of the thread was awesome and helped greatly.

Thanks!

Duane

3 hours ago, dnhill said:

I was able to take the written and driving test in Beaumont.  I currently own a Super C motorhome that has a CVWR of over 26,000 pounds.  The GVWR is less than 26.000 pounds.   They let me test for the Class B license in the Super C motorhome.  I am trading in the Class C motorhome for a Class A motorhome and wanted to get the test out of the way.  The information at the top of the thread was awesome and helped greatly.

Thanks!

Duane

Congrats, Duane. I'm glad you found the information helpful. Thanks for sharing your experience.

David

David & Cheryl - SKP #126793
2023 New Horizons Majestic  
2020 Ford F-450 Platinum

Follow us at Landmark Adventures 

visited-united-states-map.png.8b6a700b6415343eafc35b0feab4615a.pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png.b29435743fc5e8b7ca13a23cf8da37cd.pngvisited-mexican-states-map.png.d136a5e3e97dbcdbded1428c16e4b855.png

• 1 month later...
On 3/6/2017 at 1:25 AM, JCTex said:

**BUMP**BUMP**

I read the excellent guide and wish I'd had it when I go my Class B non-commercial in 2014. It does contain an error, however, and one that you must know.

The guide says the written test covers rules in Section 14 of the Handbook. That's what I thought, too, and flunked my first test. It ALSO COVERS facts and rules from the Appendix which I had not read This is a bunch of stuff about lighting, signage, trailers, and oddball vehicles--very little of which has to do with RV's. HOWEVER, the test does pull 5-6 questions of its 20 from the Appendix. I studied it well and made 100 the 2nd time around.

Aside: I took my driving test in Lewisville in my 38' MH. Things were going along swimmingly until my tester put me on the service road for I-35 W at 2 pm. This is one of the busiest highways in Texas, plus she picked an on-ramp in Denton where the highway was curving away from me back to my right. Semi's were whizzing by like cattle in a stampede. The ramp was short and required me to get up to 60+ "right now"! This would be a very hard move for a veterans driver in the best of times, but during a driving test for a motorhome rookie, it was [*#?@]. I made it but looked like an idiot trying to see all the oncoming monsters in my mirror. I aced the test, including going through a multi-lane construction zone with a slalom course of orange cones. However, she did zing me for being unconfident about the interstate merge. I told her, "Ma'am, with what you had me do, we're both lucky to be here!" To this she stated calmly, "Sir, if you're going to play with th' Big Dogs, you have to be able to run with 'em."

Pebbledropper

You referenced an Appendix to the handbook.  There is no appendix and it ends with chapter 14.  What section are you referencing?

On 3/19/2018 at 3:23 PM, Seneca808 said:

You referenced an Appendix to the handbook.  There is no appendix and it ends with chapter 14.  What section are you referencing?

I've heard other references to the handbook's appendix, but as far as I know there isn't one. The latest revision of the handbook is dated June 2014 (you can find it here), and it does not contain an appendix. It's possible that earlier versions of the handbook DID contain an appendix, and maybe some of the DPS materials still have references to it.

Edited by David-and-Cheryl

2020 Ford F-450 Platinum

visited-united-states-map.png.8b6a700b6415343eafc35b0feab4615a.pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png.b29435743fc5e8b7ca13a23cf8da37cd.pngvisited-mexican-states-map.png.d136a5e3e97dbcdbded1428c16e4b855.png

18 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

The REGULAR handbook, not the CDL, has appendices.   For the exempt Class A and B, one needs to review BOTH handbooks.

Hmm, maybe, but I'm not sure that's what the DPS office is referring to. The Texas Driver Handbook has four appendices: A (Glossary of Terms), B (Driver License Offices), C (Study and Review Questions for Class C Operators) and D (Fees). None of those look like they have much to do with the Class A and B test questions, although it certainly wouldn't hurt to review Appendices A and C, which are the only substantive ones.

It's been more than a year since I took the test, but I do seem to recall that there were some questions that were not covered in Section 14 of the Commercial Driver's Handbook - stuff about "lighting, signage, trailers, and oddball vehicles" as @JCTex said. I managed to muddle through those by guessing and common sense and still passed, so I never followed up to find out where the referenced "appendix" actually was. Maybe JCTex can tell us where he found the additional information to study for his second try at the test?

Edited by David-and-Cheryl

2020 Ford F-450 Platinum

• 2 weeks later...

David & Cheryl, Thank you for taking the time to provide this info. After reading everything and calling DPS, I realized that the GVW of my F350 (11500), and my 2016 Heartland Oakmont (15500) added up to 26500. So I took the online practice tests to the links you provided (A couple times) and studied the handbook. So off to Rosenberg I went to take the written test. Very simple process. The lady that helped me was unsure which test, so i reiterated a couple times the proper written test. She asked someone in the section that handles only CDL to confirm. Took be a few minutes to complete (well under the 6 or 8 hours they give you). I think I got 18 out of 20 correct. He wanted to schedule my driving test that morning (Friday), but no way I could go get the RV and get back for that appointment time, so we scheduled for the next Monday. He had me backup in a straight line before he ever got in the truck. After that he told me to pull up by the door and he would be right back out. He came out and we went joy riding around Rosenberg, including getting on the under construction interstate. Very simple process in all. Glad I got the class A. I hope the subject never comes up with law enforcement or insurance, but now no worries if it does. If anyone is on the fence about the process, I would encourage them by saying not near as complicated as it seems. And I can not say enough about the Rosenberg DPS center. Super efficient operation. 

Thanks Again, Jim

On 4/3/2018 at 8:17 AM, jaktwo said:

David & Cheryl, Thank you for taking the time to provide this info. After reading everything and calling DPS, I realized that the GVW of my F350 (11500), and my 2016 Heartland Oakmont (15500) added up to 26500. So I took the online practice tests to the links you provided (A couple times) and studied the handbook. So off to Rosenberg I went to take the written test. Very simple process. The lady that helped me was unsure which test, so i reiterated a couple times the proper written test. She asked someone in the section that handles only CDL to confirm. Took be a few minutes to complete (well under the 6 or 8 hours they give you). I think I got 18 out of 20 correct. He wanted to schedule my driving test that morning (Friday), but no way I could go get the RV and get back for that appointment time, so we scheduled for the next Monday. He had me backup in a straight line before he ever got in the truck. After that he told me to pull up by the door and he would be right back out. He came out and we went joy riding around Rosenberg, including getting on the under construction interstate. Very simple process in all. Glad I got the class A. I hope the subject never comes up with law enforcement or insurance, but now no worries if it does. If anyone is on the fence about the process, I would encourage them by saying not near as complicated as it seems. And I can not say enough about the Rosenberg DPS center. Super efficient operation. 

Thanks Again, Jim

Jim, thanks for sharing your experience. I'm glad you found the original post helpful!

David

2020 Ford F-450 Platinum

Just completed my Texas Class A Except Requirements and wanted to thank you for providing this extremely valuable reference thread for the subject.   All of you have brought clarity to the state requirements and captured the tactical guidance necessary to achieve the licence.  I would like to add my piece of guidance to the list.  

I took my written and driving skills test at the Hempstead, TX location.  My experience was as outlined in this thread (ie, initial confusion/call to supervisor).   Once the test was complete, they scheduled my appointment on the spot (Driving test queue was 5 weeks).  Online scheduling tools did not work when I tried them.  

My skills test experience summary:  
  • Arrive 15 min before test time
  • Insurance verification
  • Examiner looked at truck door sticker and trailer yellow sticker (assume to confirm GCWR met requirments for Class A (>26k# GVWR, trailer >10k#)
  • Lights/horn verification
  • Explanation of test (no tricks, plenty of time to execute requests, scoring, driver is responsible for traffic laws, etc).   Probably one of the most significant things the examiner stated was the purpose of the test: "... to have the driver demonstrate they can make the rig do what is required in a safe, legal manner...."
  • Backup:  straight line 60 feet.  Plenty of room
  • Leaving the facility: there was a very low branch and tough turn coming out of the EXIT lane.  The examiner directed me to exit the site through the ENTRANCE lane.  (I was relieved due to low hanging branch...)
  • Quick 20min drive (multiple turns, lane changes, highway entrance/exit).   Important items:  lane positioning (using both mirrors), turn signals until the entire rig is in the new lane, stopping on the white line/crosswalk, head turns to look before entering intersection, following distance, cornering/curbs
  • No pre-trip inspection, no brake tests, etc

22 hours ago, Chaps2018 said:

Just completed my Texas Class A Except Requirements and wanted to thank you for providing this extremely valuable reference thread for the subject.   All of you have brought clarity to the state requirements and captured the tactical guidance necessary to achieve the licence.  I would like to add my piece of guidance to the list.  

I took my written and driving skills test at the Hempstead, TX location.  My experience was as outlined in this thread (ie, initial confusion/call to supervisor).   Once the test was complete, they scheduled my appointment on the spot (Driving test queue was 5 weeks).  Online scheduling tools did not work when I tried them.  

My skills test experience summary:  
  • Arrive 15 min before test time
  • Insurance verification
  • Examiner looked at truck door sticker and trailer yellow sticker (assume to confirm GCWR met requirments for Class A (>26k# GVWR, trailer >10k#)
  • Lights/horn verification
  • Explanation of test (no tricks, plenty of time to execute requests, scoring, driver is responsible for traffic laws, etc).   Probably one of the most significant things the examiner stated was the purpose of the test: "... to have the driver demonstrate they can make the rig do what is required in a safe, legal manner...."
  • Backup:  straight line 60 feet.  Plenty of room
  • Leaving the facility: there was a very low branch and tough turn coming out of the EXIT lane.  The examiner directed me to exit the site through the ENTRANCE lane.  (I was relieved due to low hanging branch...)
  • Quick 20min drive (multiple turns, lane changes, highway entrance/exit).   Important items:  lane positioning (using both mirrors), turn signals until the entire rig is in the new lane, stopping on the white line/crosswalk, head turns to look before entering intersection, following distance, cornering/curbs
  • No pre-trip inspection, no brake tests, etc

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your experience.

David

2020 Ford F-450 Platinum

Hi folks, 

I just finished my Texas Class A exempt test. I took it at the Fort Worth mega center off Brentwood Stair road in East Fort Worth. I took the vision and written test in Early April. There was a LOT of confusion when, after waiting four hours, I told them I was applying for a class A exempt license. They thought that was a CDL and I went through three different people until they seemed to figure it out. They did the vision test, finger prints, and took the $11 fee. Then told me I needed to take two written exams. I told her I was informed there was only one, but she insisted I had to taken two. I decided to go along with it and see what the second test was. I figured if I passed, it was no big deal, and if I failed I could always argue. The second rest was on truck air breaks. Needless to say I failed that test, but passed the normal test described in this post. I successfully argued my case about the air break test ( after going through three supervisors) and they dropped it. Later that day I tried to schedule my driving test at the same mega center, but when I selected "Recreational Vehicle" on the website it kept trying to send me to a drivers test location over 200 miles away! Tried to call the mega center and of course all calls are now routed to a central line in Austin. They had no explanation for the websites behavior. Best they could offer was for me to go back to the mega center in person. Which I did a couple days later. The folks at the information desk did not believe me when I told them what was happening with the website until they tried it for themselves. The solution was to select class A CDL instead of Recreational Vehicle and I was finally able to schedule my drivers test. 

Went for the drivers test today with my F-350 and our 43 foot New Horizons fiver. At first I pulled into the waiting area where all the other Class A vehicles were waiting which is where I had seen other RVs in the past. Found out I needed to go around the back of the building where they did the Class C tests. So I had to back out into traffic on Brentwood Stair. Fortunately they held traffic for me. Then drive through the parking lot which was a very tight squeeze for my big rig. Made it around back only to find where they had directed me had a overhang that had only 12 foot clearance ( our rig is 13.6 tall). Fortunately I stopped short. Then they directed me to go down the fire lane and park. Waited about 30 minutes for the instructor to come out. Very pleasant young lady. 

She did a quick safety inspection then climbed in the truck and directed me out of the lot. I did NOT have to back up for the test. She took me through a series of neighborhood streets, left turns, right turns, merge onto the freeway, changed lanes, and then finally back through that tight parking lot and around back. I had scrubbed the trailer tires on the curb on the turn in the parking lot and one other tight corner. That cost me a few points, but I did not climb the curb. She told me if I had climbed the curb it was an automatic failure. I had not heard this before. So watch the tight turns!!

So, it's a painful process because the mega drivers license centers don't handle enough Class A exempt applications to allow them to treat as business as usual. But perseverance, and knowing the information from this post, will get you through. 

David and Cheryl did a very thorough job of explaining the process. Thank-you for all the attention to detail and the references!!

Edited by Wanderers

Wanderers, I literally just had the exact same experience (well, almost...day one, after waiting for 3 hours, their computers went down, day two, there computers went down for about 2 more hours, all said I was there for 7 hours today) at the same location you were at, but I guess I didn't argue loud enough about the air brake test.  Thus walked away with failed second test.  No-one there would listen to me when I tried to tell them it was wrong.  They even brought in a DPS officer which was of no use to me.  Can any of you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me where you got the info for proper test, as I cannot find it anywhere on TX.GOV sights regarding the "CVO knowledge test"  to show the nitwits at the test center, as they don't seem to want to take my word for it.  Now I'm just a little mad that I folded too quickly.  Thank you. and congrats for getting through to these folks.

4 hours ago, OLEDOG3 said:

Wanderers, I literally just had the exact same experience (well, almost...day one, after waiting for 3 hours, their computers went down, day two, there computers went down for about 2 more hours, all said I was there for 7 hours today) at the same location you were at, but I guess I didn't argue loud enough about the air brake test.  Thus walked away with failed second test.  No-one there would listen to me when I tried to tell them it was wrong.  They even brought in a DPS officer which was of no use to me.  Can any of you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me where you got the info for proper test, as I cannot find it anywhere on TX.GOV sights regarding the "CVO knowledge test"  to show the nitwits at the test center, as they don't seem to want to take my word for it.  Now I'm just a little mad that I folded too quickly.  Thank you. and congrats for getting through to these folks.

Oledog3,

I guess I was persuasive in arguing my Fifth wheel did not have air brakes so it did not make sense to make me pass an air break test. I had to go through up the chain until I found someone who would agree. Maybe David and Cheryl have more references to the code they can provide.

good luck,

the Wanderers. 

Edited by Wanderers

Barbaraok,

while Livingston does sound nice, the 460 mile round trip doesn't.  That being said, I've already invested more time trying here than that would have taken....living and learning.    Thanks

Just saying, if you want to know, they are the people to call.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834