To Bank or Not to Bank in Domicile State?

Nomad Hiker

14 hours ago, Sehc said:

What is a check? :)

A check is a piece of paper I use to pay for my stays at the self pay registration posts at campgrounds in National Parks, State Parks, National Forests, BLM lands or other places we stay that won't take credit cards.  I don't like putting cash in the self pay sites.  I have always thought it is far to easy for the person emptying the self pay sites to pocket some of the cash.  The check does provide the possibility of a paper trail if anyone follows up. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

18 hours ago, Big5er said:

You aren't required to put meat between the bread either but who would a hamburger with no patty? 
Other than in the mail,  who would accept a check without an address on it?

I guess you could put a fake address on the check if one is necessary. Then they could ask to see a ID to check that.
That is why I use cash and I never have been asked for a ID when using it. :)
It is a big check writing year if I make out over 2 a year. I only write a check for the ones that say if I use a CC they will auto charge me the next year for that same service. Always read the small print.

And they take my check that has a address on it where I last lived there was over 18 years ago.

The few campgrounds that still want you to register with a license plate number. Never get my correct one.
That is because I can never remember what it is. And just write down a few numbers & letters and the correct state.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

As far as active duty military I believe that their legal domicile remains the state where they joined unless they take steps to change it to a different state. I know that active duty military can purchase a vehicle in a state they are stationed and still register it in their home state. Not sure about income taxes. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

8 hours ago, Twotoes said:

Not sure about income taxes. 

Those also. Our son entered the Army from WY where there is no income tax. After we moved to TX he shifted his domicile state here with the Army and kept it here for the next 18 years. But when he retired from the Army and went to work for them as a GS employee he had to get KY domiciled and start to pay their income taxes. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

9 hours ago, Twotoes said:

As far as active duty military I believe that their legal domicile remains the state where they joined unless they take steps to change it to a different state. I know that active duty military can purchase a vehicle in a state they are stationed and still register it in their home state. Not sure about income taxes. 

In the military, the term is "Home of Record" and it is your legal domicile unless you change it. You are allowed to drive on an expired driver's license for a certain period of time or until you return to your home of record to get it renewed. Income taxes are deducted from your pay based on your home of record. Defense installations (Army forts, Navy bases, Air Force bases, etc.) are considered "Federal islands" and, as such, active duty personnel are not subject to the income taxes of the state in which the installation is located.  In addition, licensed professionals (physicians, nurses, and others) are only required to maintain current licensure and credentials in the state of their home of record. The minute you retire, though, get a job locally or on the same installation, purchase or rent a home there, etc., you become a resident of that state and are required to get a driver's license and professional license for that state, register your vehicles there, and pay that state's income taxes (if they have any).

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

20 minutes ago, Second Chance said:

purchase or rent a home there,

This one does not change your home of record for active duty personnel. Our son bought his house in Radcliff, KY in 2002 and while he did pay KY property tax as a non-resident homeowner. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, Kirk Wood said:

This one does not change your home of record for active duty personnel. Our son bought his house in Radcliff, KY in 2002 and while he did pay KY property tax as a non-resident homeowner. 

I didn't mean to imply that it did, Kirk - I was talking about retiring and going to work locally.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

• 1 year later...

i am not a computer kind of guy, but even i do most all my banking online (a disability check comes in the mail each month).

when i get to move out of ca, i will open said banking account in sd, even get a library card, and a ccw for that state. more state issued proof is safer.

couple local store tracking... er... a.... discount cards?

maybe even go as far as to buy/rent one sq foot of dirt from someone.

PacknRat, Oh my that is an old post...we are far past that.  We opened a Navy Federal CU account(national and fed gov) before leaving CA.  You can withdraw $$$ at cooperating CUs and 7-11.  We do have a SD library card, but only because we workcamped at Custer SP for the summer and we were binge watching the series "24" LOL, so checked that out at library. Jim was called for jury duty for the month before we were scheduled to arrive in Custer, but we contacted them and had it delayed.  He was scheduled for May, but was never called. We don't own any land there. I understand your thoughts, ESPECIALLY, exiting CA as they don't like to lose taxpayers, but I would take it one step at a time and not rush into buying land. We sold our home in CA and the cars we owned there, so we had no ties.  It might be the trickier issue if you own property in CA, IDK since we didn't have it.  

Happy Trails,

Jim & Ginger/Nomad Hikers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Retirement 12/2016

Full-time 04/2017

VanLeigh Vilano/Ford F350

Blog site - https://www.trailer2trail.com/

Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=trailer2trail

Archived