Check the Inside of your Hose

After spending 3 months at a COE park working as park attendants I for some unknown reason looked on the inside of our water supply hose and found green stuff growing inside for the first 3 feet or so. It was disgusting. I contacted maintenance and reported and was told that they had a problem with the chlorinator but it was fixed.

I put on another hose and trashed the old one.

After our 6 month job was over and we moved to SoCa for the winter I found the same thing on the inside of the new hose I put on. These are the cheaper Camco hoses that Walmart carries. I don't know if it is the sunlight making the Algae? grow inside the white hose but this time I bought one of their blue hoses with SS fittings.

Do you think the sunlight and white hose has anything to do with it or is it BAD water at the COE park ???

2006 Elite Suite 36TK3
2001 F-550 Starhauler
www.mytripjournal.com/elitesuitestravels
IN GOD WE TRUST

Yes the sunshine helps the algae grow. There won't be enough residual chlorine in a water supply to prevent algae growth; if there was you certainly wouldn't be able to drink the water.

Just unhook the hose every now and then, pour bleach down it and attach the ends together. Circulate it well, let sit, repeat. After an hour or so flush it out.

-C&J-

CG reviews & more - www.fugawetribe.com

Most likely algae rather than bacterial growth. Water passing over green algae remains drinkable, but can be rough on a water system and can become a breeding ground for other growths. Most hoses (even those advertising that they don't) allow enough light to pass that can stimulate algae growth. Ideally you want to sanitize and flush water from any spigot you attach to.. but that's not always practical. You should at least allow some water flow before connecting your hose, and then through your hose before connecting to your rig.

I don't think it was necessary to trash your hose. You could have sanitized it, but that's beside the point.

If I had to guess though.. it is probably most likely to storing your hose "wet" and "open" in your bay between CG's. It's always a good idea to connect the ends together to help minimize contamination, but it's really just "one of those things" that comes up from time to time. Sanitize it and travel on.

Myself , I believe fastening the ends together hastens growth as it creates a warm , moist place , I roll mine loosely and kinda let it dry out between uses, Before next use I will run water for 30 seconds or so to wash out any creatures . Maybe we do things different in the warmer south ?

Yes the sunshine helps the algae grow. There won't be enough residual chlorine in a water supply to prevent algae growth; if there was you certainly wouldn't be able to drink the water.

Just unhook the hose every now and then, pour bleach down it and attach the ends together. Circulate it well, let sit, repeat. After an hour or so flush it out.

Good answer. Also, sunlight and heat hastens the breakdown of chlorine so that makes it more likely to happen. Better if the white hose can be kept out of direct sunlight. I have also considered changing to one of the blue hoses, but have not yet tried it but suspect that it might be some better than white on the algae problem although blue would absorb more heat from sun if exposed to it.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We have the same issue from time to time. If the white hose, of course "drinking water approved" lays out in the sun here in Yuma, AZ. for the winter it will do the same thing. And also during the summer it will pick up some and gets hooked up in different locations. When the hose is not in use the ends are open. I just simply bleach them from time to time. My saga of the blue hose. After the algae in the white hoses which I figured was from sunlight I purchased three 25' blue sections from Wally World. Was made by Apex Hose Co. Used them that summer and at different times all three got tumors on them and blew wide open! I run a pressure regulator set at about 60 psi. For some unknown reason I stapled the receipt from Wally and the round paper board that was attached to the rolls of hose and put them in the bay where I store the hoses. After getting back to Yuma, I took all three sections back to Wally with the paper work. They refused to return them which I expected since it was passed 90 days. So I emailed Apex in New York state and got an email back with a phone number to call which I did. Talked to a person there and they asked what pressure they were under. Told them approx. 60 psi. They told me that 45 psi was the recommended psi. So then I brought up that under the blue covering there appeared to be a nylon thread wrapped around the hose to strengthen it. But I noticed when the hose blew up there was no thread. I told the person on the phone that the thread was a "fake-look". They then said we will email you a return to take to Wally and they will refund your money. Went again to Wally with the return from Apex Hose Co. The gal at Wally looked at it and went to her supervisor and he said, "no problem, return his money".

Maybe we do things different in the warmer south ?

Very well could be... and I may just do it out of habit without much thought. In the NW it seems like nothing truly dries so closed and stale hoses beats mildew. ;) I may have to play around with my "break down" list.

After spending 3 months at a COE park working as park attendants I for some unknown reason looked on the inside of our water supply hose and found green stuff growing inside for the first 3 feet or so. It was disgusting. I contacted maintenance and reported and was told that they had a problem with the chlorinator but it was fixed.

I put on another hose and trashed the old one.

After our 6 month job was over and we moved to SoCa for the winter I found the same thing on the inside of the new hose I put on. These are the cheaper Camco hoses that Walmart carries. I don't know if it is the sunlight making the Algae? grow inside the white hose but this time I bought one of their blue hoses with SS fittings.

Do you think the sunlight and white hose has anything to do with it or is it BAD water at the COE park ???

Tried the blue hoses and was not happy. One kinked very easily and took a permanent set then sprouted a leak at the kink site. Seem very fragile.

I prefer the white "disposable" hoses. At least I can tell if something green (or brown) is accumulating in it.

I put a brass single lever ball valve (with pressure drain shutoff) on the RV end of my water hose. This lets me shut it off at the RV end whenever I want. IT also allows me, during setup, to shut it off before I hook the hose up to the cg spigot and then turn on the water and pressure before connecting to the RV. Then, at the RV end, I can turn it on pointed at something that needs watering to let it flush the hose before I connect to the RV. I have found that building the pressure for a few seconds or more before opening that end, stretches the hose a bit and the sudden release that the ball valve shutoff provides, flushes a visible amount of the green (or brown) buildup in the hose before the water runs clear.

A couple of plastic female quick connect couplings (1 on the CG spigot and 1 on the ball valve ) and a couple of mating male connectors (1 that stays on the RV inlet and 1 that stays on the end of the hose to connect to the CG spigot) let me make quick work of setting up and putting away. I do snap the ends of the hose together for storage and these make that easy. It is also quick and easy to patch in an additional length of hose when I need to for washing exterior things, cars, filling buckets,etc.

I used to use the brass quick connects but found it hard to match newly purchased fittings to older female connectors. The o-ring type plastics have held up as well as the brass for my uses and are really easier to get a good seal every-time.

When I need to insert my Watts regulator inline, It just pops in between the quick connect on the spigot and the mating male quick connect on the spigot end of the hose at the CG spigot. ez-pz.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

I put a brass single lever ball valve (with pressure drain shutoff) on the RV end of my water hose. This lets me shut it off at the RV end whenever I want. IT also allows me, during setup, to shut it off before I hook the hose up to the cg spigot and then turn on the water and pressure before connecting to the RV. Then, at the RV end, I can turn it on pointed at something that needs watering to let it flush the hose before I connect to the RV.

Me too, and I use one of the angled ones to help with the down angle of the hose.

516fSVQPqoL._AC_US160_.jpg

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived