12 Volt roof top AC/ 13.5 BTU ?

stevekk

Anybody heard of this? Was new to me. I googled for more info, but couldn't find.

I tried to upload a photo, but no luck.

Can someone please help me on posting a pic.

Claims to be 13.5 BTU. Hard to believe? And running on 12 volts DC ??

https://www.outsidevan.com/option/12v-aftermarket-roof-top-air-conditioning/

Steve

LIFETIME MEMBER
2011 Born Free Class C
OR/ CA border

NEWBIE, so I have everything to learn !

To post pictures on this board and most others , you need to first open an account on a photo hosting website such as Photobucket ( there are others ) .

http://photobucket.com/
Once you sign up and have an account, you can upload your photos from your computer to the Photobucket account. When you get ready to upload, you can use the image processing software on your computer to size your photos to 640x480 pixels, or you can edit them using the tools provided by the hosting site. In any case, you'll want to ensure your photos are limited to 640x480 pixels. This size fits nicely on every board and is large enough for detail without getting grainy .
To post a photo in a thread , click on the picture in Photobucket . That picture will appear in a new window with several lines of code to the right . Double click the code with the IMG tag. Then paste it in the Reply box below .

Hope this helps, or at least gets you started.

Note that Google does not work for sharing images other than with a link .

Goes around , comes around .

I am betting that they use this one, or one very similar to it. This picture comes from Amazon (not photo-bucket) and it can also be purchased from Amazon for only $3,499 and you install it!

21Ke49%2BNxML.jpg

It seems to have been built by Kingtec and I believe that they are the same company in China that is making power tools, but am not sure.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks. Wonder if it works. 45 Amps I see.

So with 45 amps draw what kind of battery configuration would you need and how long would it last?

Sorry dumb ???,

I see NO reviews on the Amazon site.

Regarding the positing the pic. I have photo bucket. Thanks..

But I also have a MacBook Air.

On other web sites I can post pics, by attaching a file by using "sift, command, 4". Any help here?

Steve

LIFETIME MEMBER
2011 Born Free Class C
OR/ CA border

NEWBIE, so I have everything to learn !

On other web sites I can post pics, by attaching a file by using "sift, command, 4". Any help here?

To post a picture from another site you need to right click on the picture and select "copy image location." Next go back to the post edit function and click on the photo icon and insert the copied link and if that photo was stored in a format that this forum can accept, it will then post that photo here. See the inserted photo below from Kingtec.

RV_AC.png

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

There are several brands of DC air conditioners made for semi-tractor cabs(smaller areas). They draw about the same DC amperage you state. At 45 A, 12VDC, you will completely discharge one marine/RV 12V battery in about 2 hrs., or discharge to 50% in one hr.

The folks here who have very sophisticated solar arrays on the roof and large battery banks, will hopefully offer their experience.

IMO the only practical solution is to run the onboard genset for power to air conditioners if you wish to keep the RV cool in hot weather.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 2 weeks later...

At 45 A, 12VDC, you will completely discharge one marine/RV 12V battery in about 2 hrs.

Not a complete statement......it depends on the size of the battery.

An 8D battery is about 200ah and will run the load in this example to 50% for 2 hours. I once had 4 of them and cooled my bedroom on a boat for about 8 hours without stressing the bank beyond 50%. That said, I wasn't running a 12V AC, I was using an inverter. Still, Watts are Watts so the time number would be about the same.

Previously a 2017 Forest River, Berkshire 38A, "The Dragonship". https://dragonship.blog/

Not a complete statement......it depends on the size of the battery.

An 8D battery is about 200ah and will run the load in this example to 50% for 2 hours. I once had 4 of them and cooled my bedroom on a boat for about 8 hours without stressing the bank beyond 50%. That said, I wasn't running a 12V AC, I was using an inverter. Still, Watts are Watts so the time number would be about the same.

You missed the words "marine\RV battery". An 8D is not in that category.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

You missed the words "marine\RV battery". An 8D is not in that category.

Why not? Run this search on Google and you will find quite a number of 8D marine batteries. Deep cycle or marine batteries are made somewhat differently (heavier plates, mainly) than a starter battery in a car, but they can be made in pretty much whatever size is needed and 8D is just a size.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

I don't think a 45amp unit would be too practical on battery, but there are any number of other units on the market. One 5k/10k BTU unit that pulls less than 15amps at max setting comes to mind.

With a 45amp unit, even with solar, it's likely you'll be having to run your genset quite often just to keep up with the battery drain. Might as well just use what you've already got on genset rather than going to the additional expense of a 12v unit... IMO.

I doubt it produces 13.5k Btu drawing only 45a at 12v. Doing the math, that's 540 watts for an EER or 25! That's the highest I've ever heard of. If true that is the most efficient AC money can buy. The most efficient DC powered mini-split has an EER of 21.43. Sure you can have an AC with an SEER of 25, but one with an EER of 25 would have an SEER of around 35.

I'd sure like to learn more of it and see if their claims are certified by an independent testing agency. If true, it would be all over the news as it's a record breaker.

Chip

I don't think a 45amp unit would be too practical on battery, but there are any number of other units on the market. One 5k/10k BTU unit that pulls less than 15amps at max setting comes to mind.

The 45A unit mentioned was at 12V, a 10K unit at 15A would be at 120V

Apples and kumquats.

Previously a 2017 Forest River, Berkshire 38A, "The Dragonship". https://dragonship.blog/

Here's a 12v rooftop truck unit that they claim produces 10,000 btus from only 15a (at 24v) for an unbelievable EER of 27.78! Until I see independent certification of the EER I won't believe it.

http://www.auto-airconditioner.com/2-1-rooftop-mount-air-conditioner.html

Nope. The laws of physics (still) apply. 15A at 24V is 360W....... at the top it says the 10K comes from 3KW which jives..... 360 does not become 3000. Not unless the perpetuum mobile has finally arrived.

Archived