Domicile regulations by state?

Here in Oregon........they will not accept a mail service for a permanent address but will use it for mailing purposes only. What they do is give you a "continuous traveler" driver's license......which is right on the license. All of our mail goes to a mail service and that is the city of our residency!

87ecf2fa36fc1b1.jpg

Thought this map of state by state income taxes may be of interest. This summer we were looking to purchase a lot to park our rig on in the summers and was told that Oregon taxes interest and dividend income as well as retirement income from other states IF you own property in Oregon. Probably the reason many of the RV parks we had stayed at in the past were booked most of the summer. Also went to the DR saw a PA for RX refills and was charged $400 in Oregon. The same appointment in Idaho last summer was $70.00 and this spring in California it was $117. I am appealing the $400 charge will see what happens.

Retirement Income Taxes: Most retirement income is subject to Oregon tax when received by an Oregon resident. This is true even if you were a nonresident when you earned the income. source: https://www.retirementliving.com/taxes-new-york-wyoming#OREGON

PIT-01.png

Thought this map of state by state income taxes may be of interest.

That is a great tool. There are a lot of tax comparing websites, but that one seems to be about the best I have looked at.

Thanks!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 3 weeks later...

OK, so herein lies our next challenge...deciding our domicile state! :blink: Anybody want to vote on that? No reason to re-invent the wheel!!!!

Happy Trails,

Jim & Ginger/Nomad Hikers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Retirement 12/2016

Full-time 04/2017

VanLeigh Vilano/Ford F350

Blog site - https://www.trailer2trail.com/

Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=trailer2trail

Found an interesting 2016 update on Technomadia's blog concerning becoming a FL resident, so requirements are changing:

http://www.technomadia.com/2013/02/setting-up-domicile-in-florida-as-a-full-time-rver/

"2016 Driver’s License Alert: Apparently, the state of Florida is no longer allowing some of the PMBs to be used on Driver’s Licenses (SBI specifically at this point) unless a RV or boat is also registered in Florida FIRST. So you will now need to register your RV/boat before obtaining a driver’s license. And, even in some cases – some DMV offices are not allowing PMBs at all, and instead put the tag number of your RV/boat as the address on the driver’s license.

Also, we have heard some reports of requirements to now register in your county of address.

Please consult with your mail forwarding service for their current instructions on the proper procedure their clients are experiencing.

The following is Florida's 2016 definition of Resident from http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0300-0399/0320/Sections/0320.01.html

(34) “Resident” means a person who has his or her principal place of domicile in this state for a period of more than 6 consecutive months, who has registered to vote in this state, who has made a statement of domicile pursuant to s. 222.17, or who has filed for homestead tax exemption on property in this state.

And Florida's 2016 definition of domicile:

Statute222.17: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0200-0299/0222/Sections/0222.17.html

222.17 Manifesting and evidencing domicile in Florida.

(1) Any person who shall have established a domicile in this state may manifest and evidence the same by filing in the office of the clerk of the circuit court for the county in which the said person shall reside, a sworn statement showing that he or she resides in and maintains a place of abode in that county which he or she recognizes and intends to maintain as his or her permanent home.
(2) Any person who shall have established a domicile in the State of Florida, but who shall maintain another place or places of abode in some other state or states, may manifest and evidence his or her domicile in this state by filing in the office of the clerk of the circuit court for the county in which he or she resides, a sworn statement that his or her place of abode in Florida constitutes his or her predominant and principal home, and that he or she intends to continue it permanently as such.
(3) Such sworn statement shall contain, in addition to the foregoing, a declaration that the person making the same is, at the time of making such statement, a bona fide resident of the state, and shall set forth therein his or her place of residence within the state, the city, county and state wherein he or she formerly resided, and the place or places, if any, where he or she maintains another or other place or places of abode.
Escapee's says they don't provide legal advise on the issue and they also link to a 2015 blog post about setting up a domicile. Can you reside in or maintain a place of abode by just having a file folder at a mail forwarding business? Updated: From the statement above, it sure looks questionable nowadays and I can see why they're putting rv/boat tag numbers on the driver's license rather than an actual address. Can you imagine what an insurance company or financial institution will do when the address on your driver's license is a rv/boat tag number?

2008 Newmar KGDB with dual desk setup and 55" HDTV - for sale soon
2020 Advanced-RV Mercedes Sprinter van - on order
past full-timer for 8 yrs, now-seasonal

OK, so herein lies our next challenge...deciding our domicile state! :blink: Anybody want to vote on that? No reason to re-invent the wheel!!!!

First question is, are you eligible for Medicare? If not then you need to consider health insurance in the mix, but if not then I would look to what suits your needs best. Realize that for most people it isn't just a matter of where you will pay out the least as there can be many other issues that could be important. I suggest that you read this article from Escapee Magazine first to be sure that you understand what could be involved. We chose TX but there were extenuating circumstances like the fact that we were already residents here and we expected to return here when our fulltime life closed. Remember that domicile is not just the place that you register and insure your car and keep a driving license, but it is also you federal tax home and your healthcare home, as well as the place that will decide most of your legal issues if any should arise.

Technomadia's update is not good news.

I am planning to "move" from Livingston to Bushnell in December; I have my FL address already. However, the hiccup may be that I have neither an RV nor a boat: I am a fulltime traveller, splitting my time between camping in my SUV and staying in motels in the USA, and out of the country for about 6 months of the year.

I wonder how they will react to the bunk and camp kitchen built into my 4Runner?

Does anyone know how I can dig into this further before heading to FL to change my residency?

First question is, are you eligible for Medicare? If not then you need to consider health insurance in the mix, but if not then I would look to what suits your needs best.

Woohoo Kirk! I figured this (quoting/responding) out...I know now why I was having problems...I was trying it on my I-pad and it would not let me quote in this format for whatever reason! It dawned on me this morning to try it on my computer.

Anyway...even though asking if I'm eligible for medicare is kinda like asking a gal to reveal her age :D. The answer is a resounding almost! In July 2017, I will be medicare eligible. My husband will be retiring from a federal job so we will keep the same insurance BCBS-FEP that we have always had. I have spoken with them, and unless there becomes an issue with using a MF service as some others have stated, then there should not be a problem. I didn't ask about that. I have been on travel before and had to see a doc and I just file it under the BCBS-FEP for that state. Are there pitfalls, I am not aware of?

P.S. - FYI, on a less-than-serious note, revealing my age has never been an issue! I am happy to be upright and active!

Happy Trails,

Jim & Ginger/Nomad Hikers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Retirement 12/2016

Full-time 04/2017

VanLeigh Vilano/Ford F350

Blog site - https://www.trailer2trail.com/

Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=trailer2trail

- FYI, on a less-than-serious note, revealing my age has never been an issue! I happy to be upright and active!

Pam says that she shares her age because she don't want anyone to think that she shows that much wear & tear while still a young person!

Archived