Vintage Peterbilt

DIESELSUBMARINER

Is there anybody on here with an older / vintage truck, preferable Peterbilt, who might can share some experiences?

I'm considering anything along the lines of a 359 Pete with a short sleeper and single axle. Mechanical engine is preferred.

I know you get a quieter and probably more comfortable ride in a newer truck, but we are not a fan of those and rather stay vintage.

Any advice in regards to conversion, overall experience, ride quality and mpg would be great.

I did see one offered for sale,already set up the way I like, but I was too late and now rather gather some info first.

Thanks a lot

Diesel: I have a '95 White/GMC/Volvo. Not exactly a vintage Long Nose Pete...but otherwise similar. N14, S10, singled short, etc. Mine is a high top, which adds lots of storage space, but means I gotta be pretty careful where I go as a daily driver.

NO problem getting in/out of campgrounds. Love the ride--just make sure you have a passenger air ride seat. Don't much care for shifting on vacation. Have been able to easily fix any problems on the road, as it is simple. Actually have had very few....I think I blew the seals on the brake pressure sensor once. For cost vs reliability and capability, it can't be beat.

I get 8-9mpg. WIth 300gal on board, that's a whole vacation! Mine is set up to seat 8---very basic inside but it worked for our family of 7. Its a bit noisier than I would like, but I can easily hear the DW speaking, so what more is needed?? I made my own air ride hitch that works well...absolute necessity.

BTW--While I don't think you are looking for my truck, I do plan to sell my entire rig. Kids are in college, and no time to go camping, seems like. Just don't have time to clean it up and get it ready for sale. PM me if you want more info.

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

Thanks Jeff for that info.

As you mentioned, im more interested in a old style square nose. in fact, it does not have to be a long nose truck. the shorter hood should give me a better turning radius and be easier in finding parking spots, while on vacation. Im also looking for a flat top.

As for your fuel MPG, that is not bad even though I believe with the correct gear ratio, it could get a little better, since we won't be pulling that heavy of a load.

is it possible, you can show pictures of your hitch? I would definitely go air ride hitch and yes, also air ride passenger seat.

thanks

Attached a couple pics. This hitch came about because:

1) There was already a big heavy drop frame built on the truck for a bumper pull hitch

2) I wanted to keep the frame "open" to access wiring/piping (ONLY think I don't like about the ET)

3) I'm a farmer, with lots of parts laying around

4) I ran across a NOS Binkley hitch head locally

There is a self leveling valve and shock attached in the center. Has about 6" of vertical travel, and rides beautiful.

post-9595-0-16387300-1476287456_thumb.jpg

post-9595-0-29125000-1476287489_thumb.jpg

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

There is someone here that has a 359, if not two people.

Great looking, simple, mechanical trucks. Most have taken a beating already, unless you get one restored already. you want to look for air ride suspension. 359s seem to run about 20-30k for a working truck. Lots have had the sleepers removed for local haulers. If you want a 359 already set up to tow an rv i would say youre going to be looking awhile. Check racingjunk.com.

Truck paper has guys that sell two of these trucks at once, one just for parts. If youre not up to restoring or working on it, double or triple the price above.

But, i have seen nice looking singled 359s for 40k, so theyre around. Adding just a hitch should not be a big deal.

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

thanks for that info.

Yes, the above black truck would resemble King of The Road Truck.. when I found it advertised, it was an old add and actually reasonably low priced. with minor work needed.

We just love those old trucks :-)

As for general Pricing, we did see them advertised in all price ranges, but you can find a nice single axle day cab pretty in expensive in the low to mid 10K range. I also found several old school sleepers for sale, which could be easily adapted. Adding a small fifth wheel hitch, as for example the 32k Trailsaver, which is made for larger trucks, would not be a problem.

My problem however would be, as to how can I get it de-rated during registration for a gross weight of 26000lbs? I need it that low, because of Florida regulations.

For your enjoyment, I attached a couple pix of the truck I will be replacing. As you can see, its old school :-)

thanks

post-55826-0-70003100-1476354636_thumb.jpg

post-55826-0-92352600-1476354640_thumb.jpg

Broncohauler: what is your max weight rating of the truck?

From what I found out so far : apparently Florida, or at least our county does not led you de-rate a class 8 truck to 26001 lbs. A CDL is required going over that weight. So my only choices would be trying to find and old Pete, that is already converted and de-rated or find me a 330 Pete, add a sleeper and a hauler bed. The 330 are within the right weight range, but unfortunately do not have a large engine,.. unless of course , I am miss-informed :-)

• well, to correct my above statement: I talked to my wife and showed here pictures of converted 330's . She does not like the style and rater have one older square nose. ie 359 or 379 Pete..

so I will be looking for a converted one, or maybe check with laws in the state of Georgia and have my son convert it, then title it in Florida :-)

IIRC, you can't have a truck with a 5th wheel hitch of any kind if titled in Florida, unless you go commercial.

Isn't that right guys?

Shooting from the hip here, but I think that only applies to trucks with a GVW of 26,001 or more.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I believe Florida law says no Motorhome can have a 5th wheel hitch. They are very specific about it in the code, including having pictures of what you can and can't have. Someone has posted the code with the pictures in the past in another thread. I think it may have been Big5er, but I am not sure. A search of the forum may help turn up the posts with the information.

On edit: I was wrong. Gary Hage posted the information I was referring to.

Here is the link: http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=117904&hl=%2Bflorida+%2Bmotorhome+%2Bhdt

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

thanks guys, that's some valuable info.

staying below 26001 on the tow vehicle should be possible for me, if I go with a single axle short nose and a 36" sleeper. this will keep my tag cost down.

I was also aware of the RV issue and fifth wheel. that's why I will be going to register as a private truck.

I have always though, the GWR are was the sum of the front and rear axle load rating. from what I read, it appears I can just tell the DMV at what weight I want to register it. this would make things easier.

of course I would weigh the truck first and calculate my payload, so I wont be over the registered weight.

post-30276-0-68121400-1477435662_thumb.jpgHi Dieselsub;

I bought an '84 359 a couple of years back, and this year upgraded the camper to a Keystone Montana, 38 feet, 15000#. The truck has a mechanical Cummins Big Cam 3, which the locals here all call a 'straight 855'...as in, anybody can work on it. Thirteen speed Road Ranger xmission, takes getting used to, but you can always find the right gear for conditions. Single rear was rebuilt by Transaxle with a 2.79 ratio, which is great for cruising, but crawling back and standing starts uphill require close attention. Mine was built by the previous owner to haul his fiver and race car trailers. Wheelbase is 245 (pretty long), with a 62 inch bunk and the rear deck accommodates a Binkley hitch and a 2 inch receiver with standard camper electric plug and electric brake controller in the cab. Backing is easy enough but you need some room in some circumstances.

Mileage is about 9 highway, 7 in the hill country. It tows great on the highway, just okay on secondary roads with lousy pavement. The Binkley hitch is welded to a crossmember and rigid side-to-side. That, while it hasn't been a problem yet, could prove to be in the long run and will be upgraded. The pin box is a Lipert airbag type and the truck has Pete Air Leaf suspension with spring fronts.

One thing about a classic ride; the forum folks are right...you can't hide. Everybody wants to see it up close. Good news is, there are always truckers coming around to reminisce, and most of the old hands know a thing or two about '59's. Here's a couple of pics; Regards and good luck; Dan

Archived