Replacing interior dome light with LEDs

BigRich

Hi Everyone,

I am wanting to change out all four of my interior florescent lights to LED. The problem I'm having is finding a replacement fixture. Mine are the double bulb and are 21" long. The closest thing I can find are the double dome lights, and the longest I found was 14". I really don't want to have two holes in the ceiling where the old screws were! If I can't find them, I might resort to LED strips inside the original fixtures.

Has anyone found the long single lights in LED?

-Rich

rtrvgbanner_1.jpg
http://rtrvg.com/blog/
2004 Coachman, F-53, 36'

There's absolutely no reason to replace the entire fixture. Many of the people on this forum have used a variety of approaches for removing the fluorescent tubes and replacing them LEDs, all within the existing case. On mine, I have used a very simple approach. I remove everything from inside the fixture, including the sockets at the end. Then I use two strips of adhesive-backed LEDs that are 19.5 inches long (0,5 meter) that run the entire length of the fixture with enough to turn up at each end. Each of the strips comes with connecting wires, so all you have to do is connect the strips to the incoming positive and ground wires. The cost of each strip has been ~$12 so each fixture costs <$25 and provides significantly more light and the light is the same warm white that most of us enjoy.

Some people like to buy entire kits from some online vendors. You are free to do that if you wish to pay more. You can also buy tubes that look like the fluorescent tubes but contains LEDs. They also cost 2x-3x more. Everyone does what makes them comfortable. The strips I purchased were these: https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/top-emitting/led-light-strips-led-tape-light-with-18-smdsft-3-chip-smd-led-5050-with-lc2-connector/1465/4341/

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

There's absolutely no reason to replace the entire fixture. Many of the people on this forum have used a variety of approaches for removing the fluorescent tubes and replacing them LEDs, all within the existing case. On mine, I have used a very simple approach. I remove everything from inside the fixture, including the sockets at the end. Then I use two strips of adhesive-backed LEDs that are 19.5 inches long (0,5 meter) that run the entire length of the fixture with enough to turn up at each end.

As I said, this is what I will resort to if I can't find new fixtures. I want to replace the old fixtures... thanks.

-Rich

rtrvgbanner_1.jpg
2004 Coachman, F-53, 36'

There's absolutely no reason to replace the entire fixture.

Ohhh.. I dunno. I replaced all of my fixtures with Star Light's. Shopping around the double fixtures ran around $25 or so.. with bulbs. Considering I turned around and sold all of my existing fixtures w/ballasts n bulbs for $10 a pop on the doubles and $5 on the singles it was quite economical.

I like that they are a made in USA product, I didn't have to do any cutting, the bulbs are plug'n'play (don't have to rewire every time I need to change a light with the added bonus of modular features... adding in nightlights, a couple have dimmers, one has a day/night senor in it and a couple have 12v sockets added. I personally think their bulbs are more reliable than most.

The doubles are only 15" wide though. If it were me I would just cut some light opaque plastic sheeting and put it between the fixture and the ceiling to cover any existing holes. Cut in a decorative pattern I don't think it would too cheesy.

If it were me I would just cut some light opaque plastic sheeting and put it between the fixture and the ceiling to cover any existing holes. Cut in a decorative pattern I don't think it would too cheesy.

You my friend are a GENIUS! You know it was just last week at the Graceland RV park that I met a couple that trimmed out the interior roof with opaque lexan backed with LED flat strips for mood lighting. It was incredibly beautiful! Thank you so much for that idea!

So I think I'll get some oak luan to match the oak in the RV and cut out some decorative backing plates and attach the new LED fixtures to them... brilliant! I love this place!

-Rich

rtrvgbanner_1.jpg
2004 Coachman, F-53, 36'

I think I'll get some oak luan to match the oak in the RV and cut out some decorative backing plates

That's an even better idea. That would look really classy for the otherwise plain ol ceiling and generic fixtures in most rigs. I'm thinking I might do that myself now.

Nice one!

the bulbs are plug'n'play (don't have to rewire every time I need to change a light

As LEDs come into more general usage the concept of replacing a light bulb will become as antiquated an idea as "rewinding a videotape"! The LED industry is trying to standardize product lifetimes and most definitions specify "end of life" to mean the point at which a light emits 70% of its original illumination. Although there is not yet an overall industry standard, my understanding is that manufacturers are working towards something like L70 = 50,000 hours of use. (By way of comparison, incandescent bulbs have lifetimes of ~1200 hours with compact fluorescent bulbs typically lasting ~8,000 hours.)

With 10 hour per day usage, a bulb rated at 50,000 hours would last >13 years and there are very few lights in my MH or home that are on for 10 hours a day every day. Furthermore, in most cases even when the bulb reaches "end of life" it should still be emitting ~70% of its original lumen level. Therefore, the decision to replace would be at the user's discretion.

I'm not claiming that no premature failures will occur, but as the products mature, it is more and more likely that lifetimes in excess of 25,000 hours will be considered routine. As a result, I see very little reason to worry about LED replacement during MY lifetime! B)

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

You my friend are a GENIUS! You know it was just last week at the Graceland RV park that I met a couple that trimmed out the interior roof with opaque lexan backed with LED flat strips for mood lighting. It was incredibly beautiful! Thank you so much for that idea!

So I think I'll get some oak luan to match the oak in the RV and cut out some decorative backing plates and attach the new LED fixtures to them... brilliant! I love this place!

-Rich

I'm wanting to do the same thing...would greatly appreciate it if you could post pics of the project before and after...I can usually do most any type of small do-it-yourself jobs but need a visual before I start. How do you attach the lexan to the ceiling and the strips to the lexan or wood trim??

• 2 weeks later...

Well my wife and I decided to reuse the existing fixture and just gut it and replace the florescent lights with LED strips. We bought both the strips and a replacement LED fixture from Amazon for testing.

The strips were $8.00 for six. The replacement fixture was $14.00. Four of the strips were brighter than the new fixture, and both were brighter than the original florescent light. So we decided to go with the strips, which are easily replaced in case of a failure.

My new delimma is, there was nothing wrong with the old fixture, it was a power issue. There is no power at the supply wires. It's awfully strange, since this one ceiling fixture is in the middle of the coach, so one would imagine that since it's surrounded by other light fixtures and accessories, something else would be out, but that's not the case. All the fuses are fine, and it's going to take some real thought to figure this one out. I removed the fixture and there's only a 1 1/2" hole in the ceiling. The hole goes through 2" of solid foam and the plywood roof. Not much room to work with here.

Gotta start the old fire in the brain to figure this one out...

-Rich

rtrvgbanner_1.jpg
2004 Coachman, F-53, 36'

Hello Rich,

Perhaps getting an eye in there would help you figure out what the problem is?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JERRES6

Just an idea...

PS: please post pics of your install (fixture, strips, etc), I'm curious to see what you're talking about.

Cheers,

--

Vall.

Getting ready to join the RV full-time lifestyle in 2017!

Thanks VallandMo... my son's an electrician and he has the really expensive endoscope. Getting him to come by while we're home is another story! :-)

Thanks Snuffy... I have all the parts I need off of Amazon. Trick is finding the power issue.

While I'm waiting for my son, I'm going to install, if you call it that, the LED light bar under the canopy today. I'm not much for all the changing colors except maybe around Christmas time, but the white lights and the ability to dimm them down at night attracted me to them. I'll post some pics later...

-Rich

rtrvgbanner_1.jpg
2004 Coachman, F-53, 36'

Okay, so I installed the light strip today and I have to say, I'm very happy with it! I started by running a small bead of Dicor NON leveling sealant just under the canopy where I want the lights. Then I ran the light strip seating it in the Dicor and taping it every few feet for support until it sets:

20161028_123933.jpg

Next I attached a very heavy duty Velcro to the power supply and mounted it on the back of the canopy support:

20161028_175506.jpg

The finished project:

20161028_190045.jpg

20161028_190123.jpg

I got them on Amazon for $21.88, and yes, they are the exact same ones most sites are selling for $59.99. All kinds of features in the remote control, but you have to be within about 4' for it to work. So installed on my canopy, I have to get really close and get the remote up high.

Link to the product:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M1GBCWF/

Edit: FYI, the LED strip was 16' long, exactly the length of the canopy. There were two 16' light strips, but only one power supply and IR controller. I'm going to see how these work out before getting a second controller and power supply.

-Rich

rtrvgbanner_1.jpg
2004 Coachman, F-53, 36'

I replaced my original Fluorescent over the sink fixture with an LED version from Thin-Lite. I wanted a longer fixture than the original so it would light up more of my counter area vs just over the sink. I used a Thin-Lite DIST-LED616P which is 20" long with the same width and height as their shorter version. For some reason this particular model is hard to find, but it works and looks great and is dimmable with the built in switch. Just wire it up and use it.

It is a bit pricey, but after having two of the original fluorescent units fail with burned ballasts I had enough.

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

Okay, so I installed the light strip today and I have to say, I'm very happy with it! I started by running a small bead of Dicor NON leveling sealant just under the canopy where I want the lights. Then I ran the light strip seating it in the Dicor and taping it every few feet for support until it sets:

20161028_123933.jpg

Next I attached a very heavy duty Velcro to the power supply and mounted it on the back of the canopy support:

20161028_175506.jpg

The finished project:

20161028_190045.jpg

20161028_190123.jpg

I got them on Amazon for $21.88, and yes, they are the exact same ones most sites are selling for $59.99. All kinds of features in the remote control, but you have to be within about 4' for it to work. So installed on my canopy, I have to get really close and get the remote up high.

Link to the product:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M1GBCWF/

Edit: FYI, the LED strip was 16' long, exactly the length of the canopy. There were two 16' light strips, but only one power supply and IR controller. I'm going to see how these work out before getting a second controller and power supply.

-Rich

Looks great!

So my son still hasn't had time to troubleshoot the wiring issue. :-( I'll have to wait it out.

On the positive side, the fan in my bathroom needs replacing, so I ordered a new one and had a brainstorm. When I change the fan, I'm going to tap off the 12v and run a dedicated line across the roof to the LED strip. This way I can remove the unsightly power adapter and 110 cord.

rtrvgbanner_1.jpg
2004 Coachman, F-53, 36'

And now I just got yet another brainstorm! When I remove the fan in the bathroom, I'll have access to run a fish 8' across the roof to the fixture with no power and tap it into the fan power! Problem solved! :-)

Just got back from Grand Isle and had to put the coach into the shop at Ford. It won't be ready until Thursday and we're heading up to Mississippi for the weekend, so I won't be able to finish everything until next week.

-Rich

rtrvgbanner_1.jpg
2004 Coachman, F-53, 36'

Archived