Project Day at the HDT Rally (Wednesday 10/12 2:00 CDT)

Nuke-E

Ok, here goes!

After bouncing back and forth between several ideas, and trying to put together something that would be useful to those that have already done the last project and still something that can be picked up by those who haven't, here are the goals:

• Control a relay output with a Particle Photon
  • Learn to call a function on the board remotely (i.e. command it to do something).
  • Introduce using a Raspberry Pi to run a web interface for monitoring/controlling things hooked up to a Photon

Since we assembled a pressure sensor-based tank monitor at the ECR, it seems logical to set up a control device that takes advantage of that. I'll outline a circuit to control a solenoid valve, and we'll set up something similar (without the valve--I want this to be very inexpensive to follow along) on a breadboard. We'll start off with a timer-based circuit, similar to what I have in place to recirculate hot water during the winter to prevent pipes from freezing, and the work through setting up the code to automatically fill a freshwater tank (i.e. opening the solenoid valve on command, and closing it when the tank is full).

We'll also set up a function that will allow you to fill to a level you specify when sending the fill command remotely (calling out the Photon-specific URL and function).

Lastly, I'll present an overview of how to set up a Raspberry Pi to run a local webserver, and put together some materials to make getting started a bit easier. The goal would be to have a web page you can access to see tank levels, and have the visual controls to fill the tank(s). We won't actually plan to do the stuff with the Pi, but hopefully it will be pretty easy to see what's necessary.

For those of you not able to make the rally, I'll update this post with a Google Hangouts link so you can follow along live (and ask questions), and have a recording to share after the fact.

As far as what you need, here are a few links:

If you did the ECR project, the only thing new is the relay board. I'll set things up to where if you don't want to spend the money on that now, you can still participate without it, using an LED as an indicator. I'll bring wires, mini breadboards for those who don't have them, and variable resistors to simulate the tank sensor.

I know a lot of you are already on the road, so if you'd like for me to get the parts for you just let me know. I plan to have a stash of extras, but would prefer to plan ahead--I'll place an order by mid-week next week for whatever we need.

I would appreciate a heads-up if you plan to participate, just to make sure I bring enough of the small parts that I've bought in quantity. There will be a short "homework" assignment--getting the Particle Photon claimed and online--that will need to be done ahead of time so that we're all ready to go during the seminar. I'll post those instructions, and be around the rally site in a few days if anyone needs help.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

I believe that I have everything needed except the water control solenoid valve. Do you have a source for the valves? Which one do you use or recommend?

Steve & Gail

2000 Volvo VNL660 Autoshift Detroit 60 12.7 "Semi Crazy"

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

2018 Space Craft 48' TT "The Nut House"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

Volvo w SpaceCraft 1024.jpg

I've had mine for years, but I think this is the same one. It has a plug for the wiring, and you can take the solenoid off without opening the plumbing.

I tried some of the plastic-bodied ones that were more like $10 and had trouble with leaking.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Count me in. I have everything I need (just arrived in the mail yesterday!). This weekend, I'm going to try to reproduce the ECR project using the info on the particle website. Wish me luck!

Ed & Teresa Haagsma

2016 New Horizons 45' custom. New Horizons ambassador

2009 Volvo 780 "Remington". Converted by RVHaulers

2015 Smart "Remora"

Nuke-E

I'll be watching from the sidelines, you lost me at the "Particle Photon".

Todd E.

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

Archived