How often to replace a Rhinoflex sewer hose

2 hours ago, SWharton said:

Maybe someone can answer a question that we have always had. Why do people need to hook up the elec, water and sewer each night? Unless it is dumping day, we just use electricity each night and even if we are dumping we put everything away after dumping. I am not talking about small trailers but MHs and big trailers that have plenty of tank capacity.

Maybe they don't want to carry the extra weight that may cost MPG loss?

Myself when traveling for 4-5 days to a destination I only hook up electric overnight. If site is fairly level I don't even put my jacks down. And never put the slide out.

I use the Prest-O-Fit hose for the ease of adding length if needed and changing the ends. I don't know how many years I have used the present hose. But it is more then 5. I only use it during my 5 month summer travel. The other 7 months I use a 1" Macerator hose at my winter spot that is uphill.

I find it is too slow dumping to use in the summer and doesn't get you the Whooooose like the slinky. But the Macerator hose has never needed replaced for over a decade.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

1 hour ago, SWharton said:

Pound wise and penny foolish. I bill myself out at $10/hour, the time to clean the hose each day is more than what I would save. Especially if it rainy or 30 degrees or very windy.............

10 bucks an hour ? That's cheap .  Stop by our rig . I have a few things that need doing . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

7 hours ago, SWharton said:

That's internal rate. External is significantly higher. I know it's cheap but it sure stops me from buying and doing all sorts of things. I've used that number for years and it has worked out well.

Hmm , Conditions ... after the fact . I see how you are . LOL 

Goes around , comes around .

I have had to replace my RhinoFlex more often now than the older ones I had.  Seems the material quality has gone down and they do not last as long.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

• 2 years later...
On 9/28/2016 at 10:09 AM, GR "Scott" Cundiff said:

Thanks for all the responses - interesting.

For anyone still following, do your hose failures generally happen as you are extending/collapsing the hose or while you are dumping? As you can guess, spewing contents would be worse than it just cracking while being stored.

Mine has lasted 18 months, discovered whilst dumping a split and black water spraying out. Quickly shut off valve and sanitized affected area.

Interesting that this old thread was brought back to life by Dan (thanks).  Just this week I had either a 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 year old hose (no sure which one it was at this point) spring a couple of leaks down close to the end.  I cut the hose back and put the fitting back on.  Going to keep an eye on it and see how it does.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

I have been using the Rhino hoses for 7 years now. I am full time and use the hose 24/7/365. My first Rhino Flex hose lasted 5 years but got a tiny pin hole from a thorn on the ground and had to be repalced. I replace it with the new Rhino Extream hose which is 2 years old and no problems. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

On 9/28/2016 at 12:30 PM, strawdog said:

In the over 10 years we have been using RhinoFlex hoses we have never had one start leaking while it was hooked up except once when a park grass cutter went along it with a weed eater. :unsure::wacko:

Doesn't mean it might not happen the next time I open the dump valve.... :rolleyes: All failures we have had were small cracks usually close to the fittings after the hose had been collapsed, stored then re-extended.

That being said I have noticed that the quality (longevity) of the hoses (not the fittings) has gone down since Camco bought them out....

Dave

That's my problem, over-paid weed whacker operators try to trim underneath my hose.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

3 years on one until it got stepped on. I cut out the crushed part and now when I have short runs or have to go to a dump station I have a short hose to use. I then bought a new one for longer runs. Plus I carry a 15” extension. Also a 90 & 45 degree clear elbows. The new heavy duty ones look very nice and long lasting.

Edited by rynosback

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

• 2 months later...