Did you ever pay $100+ for a parking spot at a RV campsight?

slackercruster

15 hours ago, Al F said:

It is everyone's option to decide what is best for them.  It is called freedom of choice.  

I also consider what it costs to operate a RV Park.  For the one right near downtown NYC,I'm sure the cost of the land fees, taxes and whatever, has a major affect on the price to rent a site. 

No biggie deal.  Out of your price range, just don't go.  But "disgusting" I don't find it so.  

You express my thoughts very well. Like Joel, we no longer do any dry camping.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We will probably do the eastern tour in 2020 or 2021.  Thinking of going all the way up to New Brunswick, finding a CG that will let us leave the coach, and take the Harley up through Canada.

My goal as I start planning these travels is to stay 100 miles or more out from cities such as NY and DC.  What I'm finding is the CG rates are much more favorable and cheap public transportation is available.  

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

1 hour ago, FL-JOE said:

My goal as I start planning these travels is to stay 100 miles or more out from cities such as NY and DC. 

Before you go to DC, check out Pohick Bay Regional Park as it worked out very well for us when we visited the area about 10 years ago. It may be much different but take a look. We drove the car to a station for metro trains and rode it into Washington. Parking there was free and access to most attractions was quite good. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

As Kirk stated in the above post check out Pohick Bay Regional Park. We always used Bull Run Regional Park just outside of Manassas, VA. It was easier for us since we were coming from the north. Easy drive to Metro Station. And the D.C. Metro is very easy to use.

On 5/19/2019 at 9:31 AM, slackercruster said:

...you don't think that is disgusting??

No, it's a free market.  I recently faced near $100 spots for a San Diego trip.  I started doing more careful searching and found that the state park system had places with electric and water for a lot less, but not as easy to find.  We would like electric, but could even do without that.  No need for water and sewer.  So keep looking, try state and city parks.  

• 7 months later...

I plan on visiting DC in June and staying here: https://www.campendium.com/greenbelt-park-campground

It's only $10 a night with an America the Beautiful Senior pass. It is a long walk or a short drive to the College Park Metro station where you can park for $5 a day and catch the Metro. You can buy a senior Metro Pass for $2 at nearby library which saves you 50% on Metro around DC.  There's water and sewer but no electric (which doesn't bother me since I have solar with a generator backup.)

Chip

BTW, the most I've paid for an RV park or campground for the last year has been about $100/wk, not $100 a day. If you don't have it, you can't spend it. But it you've got it, why not blow the whole wad on your way out and enjoy life while you can?

Chip

5 hours ago, sushidog said:

I plan on visiting DC in June and staying here: https://www.campendium.com/greenbelt-park-campground

It's only $10 a night with an America the Beautiful Senior pass. It is a long walk or a short drive to the College Park Metro station where you can park for $5 a day and catch the Metro. You can buy a senior Metro Pass for $2 at nearby library which saves you 50% on Metro around DC.  There's water and sewer but no electric (which doesn't bother me since I have solar with a generator backup.)

Chip

BTW, the most I've paid for an RV park or campground for the last year has been about $100/wk, not $100 a day. If you don't have it, you can't spend it. But it you've got it, why not blow the whole wad on your way out and enjoy life while you can?

Chip

I volunteered there around 2004.  Unless it has changed there is no individual water and sewer hook ups.  There is a dump station in the park. A good bit of it is pretty tree shaded. And I believe generators have to be shut down by 10pm,  This is a great little park in a good location but it is also hot and humid in that area in the summer. I believe there were 3 full hook up sites for hosts.  Check about  what is available before you commit 100%.  I would have had a hard time staying there without Air Conditioning.  Also watch out for deer as you drive through the park especially morning and evenings. 

Thanks for the heads-up, BigJim.  I'm used to boondocking for 2 wks at a time so that's not a problem - as long as I can dump and fill going in and out. If I have a little shade and can run my AC in the afternoon and evening for a few hrs to cool things off I'm good to go. High humidity can be a bugger, but I grew up in New Orleans, so I'm quite used to dealing with it. The deer are the best part!

I think $10 a night and 1/2 price Metro is about the cheapest way to see DC. I've been there before, but only for a single day, as I was paying $200 a night for a hotel room and had to get back to work. I only got to see the Air and Space Museum and the Natural History Museum, and those only briefly. I could have spent a couple weeks there sightseeing all the free stuff, and indeed I intend to now that there's no work to go back to. But that also means that there's no paycheck coming in, only SS and a small pension, so I must do so on the cheap. We have enough to do what we want, maybe even budget for a nice sushi meal while we're there, as long as we don't squander any of it. 

Chip

I used to I've in San Diego before I went full time. Most RV parks there are around $100 a night. Campland by the Bay was $99 a night when I lived there. Went once in Feb and got the winter, local resident discount and only paid $65. Just looked at Chula Vista RV Resort for a summer stop in 2020 and they are about $100 a night. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

On 1/18/2020 at 9:44 AM, sushidog said:

Thanks for the heads-up, BigJim.  I'm used to boondocking for 2 wks at a time so that's not a problem - as long as I can dump and fill going in and out. If I have a little shade and can run my AC in the afternoon and evening for a few hrs to cool things off I'm good to go. High humidity can be a bugger, but I grew up in New Orleans, so I'm quite used to dealing with it. The deer are the best part!

I think $10 a night and 1/2 price Metro is about the cheapest way to see DC. I've been there before, but only for a single day, as I was paying $200 a night for a hotel room and had to get back to work. I only got to see the Air and Space Museum and the Natural History Museum, and those only briefly. I could have spent a couple weeks there sightseeing all the free stuff, and indeed I intend to now that there's no work to go back to. But that also means that there's no paycheck coming in, only SS and a small pension, so I must do so on the cheap. We have enough to do what we want, maybe even budget for a nice sushi meal while we're there, as long as we don't squander any of it. 

Chip

Why don't you consider contacting them or somewhere else in that area about volunteering there for a host site with full hook ups. When I did it the work was very easy physically.  There is so much to see in that area an extended time is really needed.  It can make a little difference depending on who you get as co-hosts during the busy part of the season. It was so easy I worked everyday for 2 months when a co-host bowed out on short notice and still sight see'd my rear end off.  Some of the week days I might have only worked 1/2 hour to an hour. The ranger I worked for said just take off several days in mid week but it made our life easier by doing it every day. When I finally got 2 sets of cohost they were at odds with  each other for no good reason I could see but I got along with both couples. The busiest time for host  is usually Friday and Sat late day to early evening. Another thing is that it is good if you can stay at some reasonbly near campground for a couple  of nights and scout your travel route to the park unhooked if you are towing or with your toad if in a motor home. About one of the best times to go around the beltway is Sunday morning.  Good Luck  On the cheap really works for me.

Edited by bigjim
1 final thought

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Lou Schneider said:

I once paid $4000 for two nights boondocking at Camping World.  Of course, this included installing a set of HWH leveling jacks

:)  Many of us relate to that.

We paid a lot more than that for a week of only electrical hookup when we were negotiating the purchase of then moving into a new motorhome.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

15 hours ago, Lou Schneider said:

I once paid $4000 for two nights boondocking at Camping World.  Of course, this included installing a set of HWH leveling jacks (which later had to be re-done at the factory after two hydraulic hoses melted from being routed too close to the exhaust pipe).

Good quality work, NOT!  Don't want to mention the possibility of the hydraulic fluid getting on the exhaust and catching fire resulting in the total loss of the RV and possible loss of life. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

You can easily pay that much in Ft Myers beach right now.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

• 1 year later...

We just returned from the Albequerque Balloon Fiesta.  We went with the FMCA, and paid $500 for five nights camping with no hookups, just a piece of (mostly) level asphalt.  The price included a breakfast, a dinner, daily happy hour with hors douevres supplied by members, and a season pass to the Fiesta grounds.  The balloons were fantastic, and we will probably do it again next year.  Some things are just worth the high price.

• 3 months later...

In 1995 we stayed at Liberty Park Marina campground, not sure what we paid but, on the Hudson river across from the twin towers, 2 blocks to subway direct to twin towrrs subwsy station, view downriver of Lady Liberty.  Was well worth it, but it was worth it for 1-1/2 hour 4th of july fireworks show