Water Pressure

Cathy and Paula

How can I find out what the max water pressure is for the Lifestyle 5th wheel. The tech that did the walk through told us 40 psi max. He said all trailers and 5th wheels should not exceed 40 psi. We think that he had that wrong. What say you?? I would thing the Lifestyle 5th wheel could handle the same as my Dutchstar, which was 60 psi. Let me know I don't want to blow a water line.

Thanks

Cathy and Paula
US Air Force Retired
2016 Lifestyle LS37CKSL/2016 Ford F350 DRW
Fulltiming since Aug 09
Blog http://www.pclivinthedream.blogspot.com/
Blog http://www.pclivinthedream2.blogspot.com/

The older rigs had weaker plumbing that needed the lower pressure, maybe 40 psi. The newer rigs with the PEX plumbing can handle pressure below 60 psi, normally better at 50-55psi, and even though the PEX can handle much more, the faucets and other fixtures will hold up better below 60 psi.

I set our adjustable pressure regulator to 60 psi prior to the filter and water softener. I also have a gauge after these components and it often reads lower, but sometimes will also read 60 psi and, for our newer rig (2014 Landmark), everything works great.

Rex & Karen

Libre y pobre en La Casa Rodante

We should differentiate between where the regulator is set and what the park water pressure is. It is quite possible to travel for years and never hit a park with water pressure over 45 psi.

And then there is the day your are at a park with 100 psi water and it blows the hoses of your black tank rinser. 45-50 psi should be high enough for any one.You may have PEX hoses but you may well not have brass PEX fittings.

Too many relate water pressure to good showers. Actually good water flow is more important than high pressure. A shower needs around 2 to 2-1/2 gpm flow. A pressure regulator can restrict water flow. The low cost Camco type regulator is good for about 1 gpm after a couple of moths of use. A Watts type regualtor can restrain the pressure and still deliver 4 to 5 gpm.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

It is part of (behind) where you connect your water hose.

Are you talking about the backflow valve? There is seldom a pressure regulator at the inlet.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

All RV's that have the RIVA seal on them have water systems that have been tested to 100# of internal pressure. Of course it is important to remember that this is when new so the safe pressure may degrade over time as the RV ages. Nearly all RV fresh water pumps come set to shut off at 45# of pressure and I use an adjustable water pressure regulator on our RV and I keep it set to 50#. That way I can leave the water pump on if I wish to insure that there is no loss of water and yet the pump doesn't run as long as the city supply is good.

I also use a pressure gauge at the inlet to our pressure regulator, just to know what is there and I have seen pressures from the park as low as 30# and as high as 125#.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

. That way I can leave the water pump on if I wish to insure that there is no loss of water and yet the pump doesn't run as long as the city supply is good.

I have never heard of anyone doing this. If I understand you correctly, this gives you no less than 45 psi (from the pump) and if the city pressure is higher, you get the higher pressure up to 50 PSI (controlled by the regulator). What position do you have the water inlet selector?

I have never heard of anyone doing this. If I understand you correctly, this gives you no less than 45 psi (from the pump) and if the city pressure is higher, you get the higher pressure up to 50 PSI (controlled by the regulator). What position do you have the water inlet selector?

I don't leave the water pump on when connected to city water either, but in the rare case where the public supply is low, I do occasionally use it. But by setting the supply pressure slightly higher than the pump pressure, it just means that if I should forget to turn of the pump, it will still not draw from the tank.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I actually do this regularly at sites where the water pressure/volume is low. The pump will kick on when a high-volume fixture (toilet) is used, or when two fixtures are open at once. Most of the time the pump doesn't run, but it will occasionally pick up the slack. I check to make sure that I've got adequate water in my on-board fresh water tank if I sense that the pump has been running often. My water selector valve has a city/pump position so it will draw from either or both depending on supply and demand.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

I spent 25 years working in state parks. I have driven through campgrounds MANY times (probably into the dozens) and observed rigs that had water coming out of every crack, doorway and hole. Sure I would turn off the water for them. Sure I would drop by later and tell them how much I hated that they had had this problem. Of course at this point the horse was already out of the barn, and they were pretty distraught.

I don't remember ever seeing one that was in this condition and had a good-quality pressure regulator in use.

This sold me.

Traveling America in "God's Grace"

Archived