Awning material

RossAnabel

A while ago I was thinking about an alternative for standard awning vinyl if/when I had to replace mine. Thinking a mesh awning might work nicely as it is much lighter, almost as strong (maybe sturdier since it allows air movement through it so it won't sail away as easily) and provides some relief from the sun (although not shade, still pretty significant) This all occurred to me while I was sitting at a restaurant under a mesh umbrella, and realized that it was quite comfortable under there. Don't know if the idea is practical, but could be worth a try.

Ya just can't RV without a hitch.....!

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking vinyl, but the Shade Cloth would be an interesting option. I have an 8 x 8 piece of 90% blocking in a frame for the beach. It is much cooler than solid material to sit under, similar to a shade tree. About half the tendency to "sail" too I'd say.

I don't know where you are or if you are a do-it-yourselfer, Arizona RV Parts & Sunshades, but this outfit can sew anything up. Vinyl, mesh, or a combination. They are in Wellton, AZ. I-8 just east of Yuma. They have a sewing shop and about all they need is what color, style of fabric, and measurements. Talk to Eric or Derrick (brain fart).

www.arizonarvpartscenter.com

Thanks for the suggestions. I have until Spring snowmelt here in MI to have everything ready for assembly. I'll give that place in AZ a shout, see if we can design up something. Seems to me that the Shade Cloth has more going for it than vinyl, except that it won't keep stuff dry underneath the awning.

I ask about the spring as the whole awning is in pieces. On the way home from buying the trailer, Anabel saw that the awning fabric had ripped all the way across the top and we were dragging the rest along the road. Lucky were were going slow (the tires were 15 years old). The guy behind us stopped and we loosened up and ripped off the framework and let it roll down into the ditch. Then we went back for it after getting the trailer home.

I'm also looking to replace the fabric on our Carefree awning and trying to decide whether to go with the heavy duty vinyl or the acrylic at twice the price. I'm assuming the original fabric was the heavy duty vinyl but don't know for sure. In any case it only lasted 8 years before fading badly and curling at the edges. Any opinions as the best way to go?

• 1 year later...

Don't know if anyone is still interested, but as an old Upholstery / Awning guy. the best material for awnings is acrylic.The best of the best is Sunbrella. 5yr no fade warranty. I also made boat covers out of Sunbrella acrylic  you can pull them at 80MPH and they will not tear as long as they are a good fit.

Archived