Trex Gone - Aluminum On. Bed Decking Upgrade Project.

RandyA

On 9/2/2016 at 9:15 PM, RandyA said:

The Trex decking is gone. It served me well for six years. In its place are 2” x 8” aluminum bleacher foot boards.

Randy, it looks nice and all but yuck!! You have no idea whose nasty feet have been on your deck. Eww  :D

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

10 hours ago, Big5er said:

Randy, it looks nice and all but yuck!! You have no idea whose nasty feet have been on your deck. Eww  :D

Phil feet are one thing, but he used the bleachers for the ramps.  You have no Idea whose BUTTS set on them EEEEEWWWW...........:D

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

3 hours ago, Randyretired said:

What is on the car tires is, well stuff.

To a farmer, it smells like money.;)

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

47 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

To a farmer, it smells like money.;)

That's strange. My money never smelled like "farmers stuff".

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

5 hours ago, Big5er said:

That's strange. My money never smelled like "farmers stuff".

It does if you leave it in your wallet long enough.:o

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I understand all of the upsides related to using aluminum.  What concerns me is having read many, many times about how taking weight off the rear axles can cause handling issues when running bobtail.  I suppose this might be a mute point if you never run bobtail.  

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

The bleacher foot boards came from a surplus dealer in Goshen, IN.  He no longer has any.  But, they do show up in scrap metal yards.  Footboards have 90-degree angles on the edges, seat boards have rounded edges and may be wider.

BTW Phil - they were carefully cleaned with bleach and a strong purple cleaner followed by a pressure wash.  All the chewing gum was scraped off too.

As for running bobtail - truckers do it all the time when they have to drop a load and go somewhere else to pick up a new trailer and load.  I have run bob tail many, many times and have never had a handling issue or even felt like one might be there.  I drove bobtail to the ECR last spring and back home across the mountains on I-40 (1,000+ miles total). My feeling is that what you are hearing is in part urban myth.  Have no fear running bobtail.  The truck will handle "different" but not dangerously.  BTW - I do not use the engine compression brake when bobtail.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Archived