Microwave/ convection oven opinions wanted

PAylor

Hi all,

I would live to get opinions about a remodeling project on our house.

We travel in our fifth wheel for at least six months out of a year. I only use the convection/microwave oven and cooktop in food preparation. We also eat out a lot.

We have a townhouse with a small kitchen that we plan on remodeling. Our lifestyle is much the same at home eat out a lot, not much cooking. I want to do the same thing in house as I have in the rv- no oven, just microwave/convection.

I would love to hear opinions on the feasibility of this plan. It's works in the rv so why not is my opinion. What do you think?

While this arrangement may work for you, I would consider potential future resale. I would think that not having a oven may greatly reduce your market. I would consider providing for the oven even if one was not installed.

Gene & Lisa (and Abby)

2014 Chevy 3500 D/A 4x4 Dually

2015 DRV Mobile Suites 38PS3

Trailersaver TS3

2012 Toyota Prius

event.png

Have your cabinet maker put in a space that will fit an oven, add doors and a shelf or two for your use. Also have the builder put in a 240 volt oven outlet, ask for a flush mount one so it doesn't take up space like a surface mount one. You'll have some nice storage space and if the future buyer wants an oven it is easy enough to remove the doors and pop one in instead of being an expensive remodel project.

You might even consider placing the oven spot under your cooktop so they could replace it with a slide-in cooktop/oven combo.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

My wife uses the convection portion of the microwave/convection oven all the time. A while back we spent time in a vacation rental where she used a conventional oven. Afterward, she said she was glad to be back in the RV where she could use hers. It took a bit of time for her to understand how to best use hers, but she wouldn't have a regular oven now.

Keith & Brenda

USAF CMSgt (Ret.)
Damn Near Perfect Couple
http://dnpc.blogspot.com

How much entertaining will you do in your home? An oven is very useful most of the time, especially for cooking larger meals when feeding more than just 2 or 3 people.

Also, I think I have to agree with some of the above folks when it comes to resale. An oven isn't going to get you any more money for your house, but it could possibly make a sale easier and quicker. I suppose too that if you did buy a range with an oven, who says you have to use it if you have a micro/convection? You still have choices...

Rick & JoAnn MacDonald
High River, Alberta Canada

2015 Ford Lariat F450
2012 Montana 3402RL

It sounds like your townhouse is fairly small and wouldn't accommodate a family with children. It probably ALSO wouldn't suit the "new" owners. It seems like on the HGTV shows that if it isn't 'totally up to date" that it doesn't suite people today.

Hurumph. I guess I am showing my age!

Traveling America in "God's Grace"

When we built our Texas room on our lot in the Rio Grande Valley, Scottiemom did not want any thing to do with an conventional oven/range in the kitchenette. We have a above counter mounted Sharp microwave/convection oven, similar to the one she's used for 11 years in our Phaeton and a quality two burner residential LP gas cook top with electronic ignition. This works great for us

Teacher's Pet

'06 40' Phaeton QSH 350 Cat.

'04 R-Vision B+ Model 213, 6.0 Chevrolet.

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com

http://map.datastormusers.com/user3.cfm?user=3912

I used to think a conventional oven was necessary, but with the new cooking methods today, I no longer think that way. We have 2 NuWave induction "hot-plates" (showing my age) and 2 NuWave convection countertop ovens, 1 ea in MH and house. Both are powered by 120VAC, so they may be used with a genset if necessary. (we lose power at home several times yearly). DW and I have cooked a meatloaf in the convection oven while using the cooktop to prepare side dishes.

Much of the time our built-in conventional/convection oven is used for storage, like pizza stone, large bowls etc.; and yes we do cook pizza in the NUWave convection oven.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

OK the old Realtor is going to chime in. There are many things I would say just do your thing. However not putting an oven in the kitchen would be a major miss. It would meamn finding just that one person who likes it.

Lots of young people cook and bake for a healthier lifestyle.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

Archived