F450 in Accident - Couple of Questions

Blessed

post-52472-0-64684800-1472767417_thumb.jpgAfternoon, Thank you in advance for reading and hopefully replying to this question.

Recently our F450 was hit by '13 Honda Accord at the front bumper/right tire area. Good news is - everyone walked away. Bad new is - the F450 is not drivable.

Questions:

1) The oil filter was knocked loose and the oil drained out of the engine. It was a very large puddle of oil. We are not sure if the engine stalled before the key was turned off or not. If it did not stall, not certain how long the engine ran spilling out oil. How deadly is this to a diesel engine. I want to have some knowledge when the mechanic tells me about the engine.

2) A large chunk of the front tire was removed during the accident. The insurance only wants to replace the damaged tire. We have 18,000 miles on the truck. If the tread depth is no symmetrical does this effect the towing and handling properties? I know that you cannot rotate front to rear on a dually.

3) Any suggestions on how to insure that the rest of the motor and frame are undamaged? What questions I should be asking and what tests to require?

I am nervous about not having the truck repaired correctly and hauling our 19,000# Voltage down the road. It is a safety issue for us and those around us.

Thank you and God bless,

Cindi

We went through and oil filter collision with a 5 gallon bucket full of soap. Took the oil filter out and we ran about 1/4 mile to get the truck and trailer across 3 lanes of traffic, F350 has 23000 miles at the time. Diesel shop repalce oil filter and refilled the engine and started it and no problem at that time.

I am a retired mechanical engineer and have worked with engines and compressors all my life. The driver that dropped the bucket got a ticket for failing to secure his load. Told his insurance, that I was not accepting a closed claim at that point. I was going to run the engine 1500 to 2000 miles and get an oil analysis. Then another 2000 mile and another oil analysis. If the engine showed no bearing metal in the oil, we would close the claim.

About 800 miles later, with the trailer in tow again, the engine started ticking and a death rattle by the time I hit the shoulder and shut it down.

Threw a rod and lost the turbo. Towed in and the Ford dealer pronounced the engine DEAD.

No remans available and the insurance paid for a new crate motor to be installed.

With the oil filter problem and the uncertainty of the engine running, I would demand that they keep the claim open until you get two good oil analysis back.

We were off the road for three weeks total and the insurance bill was $23500 for the new engine installed. Plus they paid for a rental car and our campsite for three weeks.

As expensive as an engine is, I would not close the claim until I was satisfied the engine was OK.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Thank you for the replies. I did not know you could keep a claim open - but having engine trouble in the future has been on my mind since the accident. We will definitely be kerring the claim open. Thank you.

I did not know about shaving tread off, would we be better requesting two new tires?

Sorry for the delay in responding, was watching the Texas Football rivalry. It was a good game.

If you pick up a nail in the sidewall you would have to get a new tire. You would not worry about it as the tires never travel the exact same distance. Due to unevenness of the roadway and bouncing as you are moving they always travel different distances. Just get the new tire and have them check the rim for bends. It will show up when they balance it.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Good advice from Ken. Keep the claim open for 5,000 miles, a "restart" oil analysis and another at 5k. I would NOT accept a single tire replacement on a single axle or a shave job. Especially with the load you're packin. No way.. no how.

As far as the engine goes.. and not knowing if it died on it's own or was shut down... no telling there, but if it did in fact die on it's own and there was a massive oil loss then that is "REALLY" rough on a diesel. You might get lucky (and I sure hope you are), but that can be an engine killer.

Don't agree to anything and don't postpone repairs.

Go to the Ford diesel forum and ask and show pictures.

There are Ford diesel mechanics on that forum that will steer you in the right direction.

My opinion is ask for a new truck.

Because front end damage never gets fixed right. The picture you posted looks like the grill is moved, behind the grill are eight engine coolers some with plastic tanks. Again go to the Ford diesel forum site

Thank you all for the replies. I am learning alot. Did not think about swapping out the spare: does the age of the tire matter? I know it does on a motorcycle.

Will definitely be check out the Ford Diesel Forum. This is our first diesel and I am so nervous about them doing a quick fix - not my problem attitude (especially from the insurance side).

THANK YOU all again. Please keep the comments and suggestions coming. I want to be well informed and not emotional as we deal with this incident.

When they replaced my oil filter and refilled the engine, it all sounded fine at that point. But you cannot see bearing damage unless there is an engine tear-down and no way will the insurance company agree to that.

If there is bearing damage, the oil analysis will show abnormal amounts of the bearing metal in the oil. Our engine sounded fine and then about 800 miles, something let loose and it started as a mild tick and got louder. About 30 seconds later, the engine was rattling and running rough....no other apparent warnings.

The turbo was chewed up and apparently a rod was thrown. The engine was not opened to be sure, but that was the indication.

The insurance fought the new engine, but Ford had no remans and anything other than a Ford engine would void the rest of the trucks engine warranty and the extended warranty I had purchased.

I would make sure ALL of the work was done by a Ford diesel shop.

I cannot imagine hitting the wheel hard enough to damage the oil filter and loose oil.

The Ford dealer helped in getting the claim done right, but it all started with my not accepting a closed claim with the initial repair.

I left it with the insurance carrier that I got a new Ford engine or a new truck.

Good luck with the repairs.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Thank you all for the replies. I am learning alot. Did not think about swapping out the spare: does the age of the tire matter? I know it does on a motorcycle.

Will definitely be check out the Ford Diesel Forum. This is our first diesel and I am so nervous about them doing a quick fix - not my problem attitude (especially from the insurance side).

THANK YOU all again. Please keep the comments and suggestions coming. I want to be well informed and not emotional as we deal with this incident.

We have taken it to the Ford dealership the full timers at the park use. I have spoken with the Body Shop manager and repair coordinator. They have seen the pictures and know our situation. I just want to be sure I understand what they are telling me and what additional items to address.

I cannot express enough how valuable York comments are. Please continue. :-)

Now your on the right track.

Get as much in writing as you can.

Don't forget to have that wheel checked for cracks and warping.

You just had over 3,000 pounds of weight hit the most vulnerable part of your truck. Springs,ball joints,sway bars , shocks all took a force they were not designed to take

If you get a new engine, it will cost you nothing as long as the accident was the fault of the other person. However if they "total" your truck you will only get something like blue book for the truck. You will have to make up the difference to buy a new truck or buy a used one for about what they give you for your old truck.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

If the frame needs straightened in the front suspension area I'd shoot for a new truck, any twist left in that area is going to lead to handling issues and tire wear.

If they won't pay for a tear-down to check the bearings for damage I'd ask for a new engine too, make sure they give you a new turbo or insure the bearings in the old one are good. Last choice would be to keep the existing engine with the possibility of re-opening the claim, I can't imagine that being any fun at all.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Another question is how does this effect your warranty, say one of the heat ex-changers starts leaking after your close the claim. To many lawyers writing sticky warranties

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Archived