News & Info from "Days End" listings and reports.

Al F

Here are some news items I copied from a newsletter from the editor of the Days End listings. I thought these may be of interest to the followers of this forum.

DELORME STREET ATLAS & TOPO DISCONTINUED

For those who like and use offline PC map programs, the bad news is that
DeLorme has followed the trail of Microsoft Streets & Trips and has
discontinued their Street Atlas and Topo North America products. I
personally have used these, capable of importing POI sets, for many years
on my PC, and am disappointed at the prospect of being stuck with tools
that get no future updates. But that's the way it is - the last Street
Atlas is 2015 and the last Topo is 10.

At this writing, Amazon still has SA 2015 for sale, and 49th St Photo (an
Amazon seller) has Topo 10. No doubt when they run out that will be 'the
end'.

The only other standalone offline map program for desktops/laptops that can
import POI sets that I know of is CoPilot, but I don't know much about it.
https://copilotgps.com/us/personal/laptop.asp

Sygic is a free offline app for phones which can import POIs. With some
trouble you could probably cast it from your phone to your PC.

SIUSLAW NF FEE INCREASE PUBLIC COMMENT PERIOD ENDS 9/15/16

This Oregon USFS area proposes to increase many fees, and to implement a
couple of new ones illegal under federal law (access to trailheads and
such). Please take a few minutes to let them know what you think about
keeping our public lands free and the developed areas low cost. Here is the
web page with full info:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/siuslaw/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD506139

Safe travels to all,
Guy Gipson, Editor
Day's End Directory
www.daysenddirectory.com

Personally I am really sorry to see the end of updates for Delorme computer based maps. These maps are my primary source for route planning.

However it doesn't mean the maps won't continue to work, it just means no new updates.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Garmin bought DeLorme and is making changes. I guess they did not feel the PC programs were making enough money?

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

With all the online maps and smart phones, people probably are not buying the Delorme computer based maps.

I do see the Delorme paper atlases for sale all the time. However I feel the Benchmark paper atlases are much better. However Benchmark is only for western states

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

We're sorry to see Delorme go. We've used it for over 20 years. It was nice not having to have internet connection to use it and compose a map. We didn't like the book Gazeteers of states. We much prefer Benchmark atlases for clarity and easier to read roads and public land information. Unfortunately, they're only for the western states.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I still use MS S&T. Our trips have as many as a hundred stops (over a 3 or 4-week period) and quite a few adjustments along the way. I don't use it for navigation -- I have a Garmin NuviCAM for that -- but to plan for and then track our trips for later printing. I don't have any problems currently with S&T but foresee the time when the maps are out-of-date enough to become an issue. "They" tell me that Google Maps can do most of this but I have yet to figure out how.

Sometimes "Progress" isn't.

I still use MS S&T. Our trips have as many as a hundred stops (over a 3 or 4-week period) and quite a few adjustments along the way. I don't use it for navigation -- I have a Garmin NuviCAM for that -- but to plan for and then track our trips for later printing. I don't have any problems currently with S&T but foresee the time when the maps are out-of-date enough to become an issue. "They" tell me that Google Maps can do most of this but I have yet to figure out how.

Sometimes "Progress" isn't.

Google maps has what I consider a fatal flaw for "big-trip" planning. That is the number of stops that you can put on one map. Last I checked it was 12.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

We still use the 2013 Streets & Trips for planning, then transferring the legs of the planned trip to CoPilot. At the moment we are using CoPilot Live 8 Laptop on a PC. But Live 8 Laptop is going end-of-life and we have to make the decision to either go to CoPilot Live 9 Truck Laptop which has some future because of the trucking market, or switch to Android based hardware for CoPilot RV.

We have tested the Android application and it is fine. It is the limitation of Android hardware, specifically we use two monitors with the PC and I haven't found a good dual monitor Android solution yet. We could use two Androids but we like the idea of both displays showing the same thing as the display is changed by the CoPilot (the person in the right seat).

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

We still use the 2013 Streets & Trips for planning, then transferring the legs of the planned trip to CoPilot. At the moment we are using CoPilot Live 8 Laptop on a PC. But Live 8 Laptop is going end-of-life and we have to make the decision to either go to CoPilot Live 9 Truck Laptop which has some future because of the trucking market, or switch to Android based hardware for CoPilot RV.

We have tested the Android application and it is fine. It is the limitation of Android hardware, specifically we use two monitors with the PC and I haven't found a good dual monitor Android solution yet. We could use two Androids but we like the idea of both displays showing the same thing as the display is changed by the CoPilot (the person in the right seat).

I have looked at the original CoPilot app but found it not to be a replacement for S&T. Again, I use a Garmin NuviCAM for navigation and CoPilot really falls short by comparison..

Beyond that, I am not very impressed with copilot anyway... full disclosure: most of my prejudice is based on this 3-part Blog article that ends with this update -- http://roadtrek190popular.blogspot.com/2016/07/update-new-copilot-real-rv-specific-gps.html. I have followed Robert for many years and have great respect for his opinions.

For the past 15 years I have used the Delorme programs with the advent of Android Phones and Tablets I started using Copilot, 2 MOTOROLA phones and a half a dozen different tablets, including one that used an external BT gps, and never had a problem with gps hang ups but since every manufacture customizes there version of android your experience may differ. I use Delorme for overall planning and Copilot for navigation and some times WAZE on the phone for info on traffic info, I find myself using Allstays Camp and RV for finding campsites and fuel stops, I also have a wifi hotspot so all devices are online.

1999 Dodge QuadCab Diesel

2005 DesertFox 28KS

The toy is the wife's sewing machines

1992 Dodge Roadtrek 190 Versitile

"...traveled the same road as many..."

Yeah, I am a little spoiled. I just can't see myself using a cell phone for navigation... wouldn't that be like "texting." <Grin> I like the 6-inch screen on the dash between my eyes and the road. But even without that, the Garmin NuviCAM (https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/prod168820.html) has so many features it has convinced me I can't do without. A small sampling:

• All-in-one 6.0-inch premium navigator with built-in dash cam and driver awareness features
  • Detailed maps of North America with free lifetime¹ map updates and HD Digital Traffic², the best traffic avoidance solution available from Garmin
  • Integrated dash cam continuously records your drive and automatically saves files on impact
  • Forward Collision Warning³ alerts if you drive too close to the car ahead
  • Lane Departure Warning³ alerts if you drift off the road or into oncoming traffic
  • Garmin Real Vision™ displays camera view when approaching select destinations

It also connects to my cellphone by Bluetooth and is voice aware so I can answer or place calls without taking my eyes off the road. And So many other things.

My biggest problem is MS S&T. I have six licenses but they are each tied to a specific computer. As the computers grow old and die, I will have fewer and fewer options for trip-planning of that caliper.

Oh, yeah. Did I mention that the Garmin device connects (Bluetooth) to the engine computer so I have all that data available, also. Mileage, Battery charge, engine temp, and about 7 or 8 other things.

Archived