Florida heat

Trucken

Summer treat

Florida heat sure makes my dog miserable, even short walks morning an evening seem to make him overheated. My daughter suggested I wear a fur coat next time walking him to see what it feels like.

Watching him chase an ice cube around his water bowl was entertaining,but he needed more relief.

Ice cream is not recommended for dogs so I made dog safe ice cream.

1 cup active unflavored yogurt. No sugar or sweetener.

1/2 cup plain unsalted peanut butter.

1 banana

1 tablespoon of honey.

Freeze over night/ cut into squares.

He loves it.

I keep my dog shaved in the summer but to help keep her more comfortable we have these two dog beds. The Coolaroo is great for keeping her cool outside as well as out of the dirt when she lays down.

88991_MAIN._AC_SS55_V1460478783_.jpg

https://www.chewy.com/coolaroo-steel-framed-elevated-pet/dp/116722

I bought something similar to this at Costco but couldn't find a link to Costco's product.

102882_MAIN._AC_SS55_V1467320161_.jpg

https://www.chewy.com/hugs-pet-products-chillz-comfort/dp/130382

We have had both items for 4 years and they are holding up well.

It's been like an oven here in north central illinois and up into MI all summer. Hot all over this year, and can you say muggy. We have been as high as 98% and have used the air day and night since mid-June. Would like a nice summer sometime soon.

Pat DeJong

Well Catfish.

Got the recipe from my Daughter who is a Nutritionists at a retirement center. She said she wasn't comfortable with all the additives in Frosty Paws. So she made her own and I looked at the stuff put in FP which seems like a lot of preservatives. Any way it's easy to make.

Yes it's a hot year, even the Ocean is to warm to swim. Fishing now is deep water, 30 feet and over, and hard to find. First time in 10 years have had to suffer thru it. Cabin in Minnesota is much cooler.

Trucken

My mother and father went to South Florida every year on November 1st and returned north on May 1st.

They did this for 22 years and they were able to swim in the pool almost every day. Also in the ocean almost

every day. They were in Hollywood and the winter weather there is very good. If you are north of Palm Beach

you can get very cool weather during the winter.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2016 at 9:33 PM, jmserafin said:

I keep my dog shaved in the summer but to help keep her more comfortable we have these two dog beds. The Coolaroo is great for keeping her cool outside as well as out of the dirt when she lays down.

You didn't say what type of dog you have but most vets discourage shaving your dog in the summer. For dogs, that coat is insulation and just like your house, insulation works both ways, keeps it warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

Something for your reading enjoyment

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I wonder if bad reactions to the heat is breed-specific.  We live in SWFL with our Sheltie and do some RV'ing here during summer. At home, he often deliberately lays out in the sun.  We've never had his fur closely trimmed.  He has never exhibited heat-related distress walking on a leash.

Archived