Northwood TT, does anyone actually own one

RyanJAD

Arctic Fox construction?  Here's video of a crash where a trailer was being towed too fast after being destabilized by a heavy cargo rack added to the rear end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INyiMA3hfto

Pause the video and look at the overall integrity of the trailer after it flipped onto it's right side at speed, cleanly separated from the pickup truck (no safety chains?) and careened into the center divider.

That trailer was a Nash 26x.  I bought it's sister Arctic Fox model from Arizona RV Salvage in 2000 after it had been in a similar accident and it survived in similar condition. The frame remained straight, the house structure was plumb and the slide worked perfectly.  Arizona RV Salvage cut off the old hitch coupler on the tongue - it had been twisted sideways - and welded on a new replacement for me.  After that I aired up the tires and towed it to Quartzsite without any problem, then spent about a week cleaning it up.

The awning was missing and the right sidewall had a couple of holes in the Filon that were easily patched.  Inside there were several scuffs on the wall where the TV set bounced around, a crack in the narrowest part of the countertop behind the kitchen sink and a gouge in the ceiling where the edge of the bathroom door was driven into it when the house structure flexed and then returned to square.  And the freshwater tank under the bed broke loose and had to be re-anchored.

After a good cleanup that trailer served me well for another 10 years.

I owned a small Fox Mountain 5th wheel......also built by Northwood Mfg.  It's at a lower price point than the Arctic Fox line however, shares a lot of construction methods in common.  Northwood trailers and 5th wheels are generally heavier than their competitors in the same length and floorplan.  Some of the reasons....they are one of the few RV mfgs. that have their frames built and independently tested for their line of RVs.  They also use real wood in their cabinets and their insulation is generally heavier than most of their competitors in the same price point. 

It is hard to find a late model "used" one but they are out there if you'll be patient, create a permanent search, check the NROA owners forum and let it be known exactly what year, model that you're looking for.  However, it's true that most Northwood owners hang on to their's for years.

I was very happy with mine and never had any warranty issues and hauled it up to the mountains of Nor Cal often.   I would still have it however, we're going to be going full time in a couple of months and I needed something to haul my motorcycle and still feel like a home.  I can only hope that my 2017 (found a used one!) Momentum 376TH is as reliable as my Fox Mountain was.

If you plan to keep it long term I would suggest that you order it with the thermal pane windows.  I took a trailer that the dealership already had on their lot but negotiated that they order and install the thermal pane windows.....so I used it both ways.  Huge difference!  Not just cooler in the summer and warmer in the cold nights but much, much quieter.....it didn't sound like the kids were leaning up against my trailer as they were yelling.

2017 Grand Design Momentum 376TH pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, dually, longbed

Archived