Interesting note from RV Park Reviews

Kirk W

Your attempts to bully those who have any problems/complaints is not appreciated by me and is one of the reasons I review less and less.

Hmmm, now making fact-based replies that contradict emotional posts is considered bullying. Good to know. Glad you have gone to your safe space. Geez.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all your work Docj,

I appreciate RV Park Reviews and use the site all the time. I have left a couple reviews but will try to add more.

Tim & Cheryl
2015 Mobile Suites 39 TKSB3
2009 Volvo 670 D13 I-Shift  “Walter”

Happily Living Somewhere In Nevada

649EF470-4F2A-4D47-8AB9-AFD3462E24F4.jpeg

I refuse to speculate on the motives of others.... but sometimes the results are just aggravating and one has to just move on. Nice cleanup, Joel. More important, I learned more about how RVParkReviews works in your one detailed expose than I ever knew before and I like it.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

And Joel, I'm not made at you, it is the owners of the site whose somewhat sanctimonious (they routinely notify me that they do not like my writing style and remove ( ) and other phrase punctuation), authoritarian (might I say dictatorial) management of the site which depends upon people doing work for them for free.

Holy cow. I've seen some pretty dispiriting mangling of the English language in reviews, and they remove your parentheses? I'm kind of glad I haven't submitted a review in a long time--I'd blow a gasket if they monkeyed with my punctuation like that.

Holy cow. I've seen some pretty dispiriting mangling of the English language in reviews, and they remove your parentheses? I'm kind of glad I haven't submitted a review in a long time--I'd blow a gasket if they monkeyed with my punctuation like that.

I wasn't going to quibble with Barbara's statement about someone changing her punctuation and I'm not denying that it might have happened in the past. But that is not consistent with the rules under which the RVPR admins currently operate. We can fix spelling errors and grossly incorrect grammar (to the point where someone can't understand what is meant by the sentence.) But, most of the time, if a review is that messed up we just return it to the submitter for revision.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Just to reiterate what I said previously, to have given the park a rating of 3 stars you would have had to have selected a numerical rating of "6" (out of 10)

I'll not enter this discussion other than to make an observation on the rating system. While, yes, I agree it should be obvious that a 10 would be best and a 1 the worst, there is nothing there that indicates the ability to make it half stars. For example, just a little note saying that a 7 would equal a 3.5 stars. Also rating goes from high to low as opposed to most places where you rate things going from low to high (example, Amazon, Lowes, etc.)

Other than that, I use the site all the time and find it very useful.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

I wasn't going to quibble with Barbara's statement about someone changing her punctuation and I'm not denying that it might have happened in the past. But that is not consistent with the rules under which the RVPR admins currently operate. We can fix spelling errors and grossly incorrect grammar (to the point where someone can't understand what is meant by the sentence.) But, most of the time, if a review is that messed up we just return it to the submitter for revision.

IIRC, the system automatically edits some things; lots of capitalization, excess spaces, things like that.

I'll not enter this discussion other than to make an observation on the rating system. While, yes, I agree it should be obvious that a 10 would be best and a 1 the worst, there is nothing there that indicates the ability to make it half stars. For example, just a little note saying that a 7 would equal a 3.5 stars. Also rating goes from high to low as opposed to most places where you rate things going from low to high (example, Amazon, Lowes, etc.)

As I remember it, the old software had a 1-5 star rating system and the new software was based on a 1-10. If you give a park a rating of 5, for example, it will get 2 and a half stars. I'm not sure I understand what you are asking. The reviewer is giving a park a 1-10 rating which is also displayed with full and half stars. What would you have us explain about this? Are you saying that somehow 2 and a half stars is different than a rating of "5"? Remember, the reviewer doesn't choose the number of stars; the system takes the 1-10 scale and divides by "2" in order to determine the number of stars.

As for the rating going from high to low, I'm totally puzzled. Our ratings are 10 (high) and 1 (low); how is that different from Amazon's?

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

As I remember it, the old software had a 1-5 star rating system and the new software was based on a 1-10. If you give a park a rating of 5, for example, it will get 2 and a half stars. I'm not sure I understand what you are asking. The reviewer is giving a park a 1-10 rating which is also displayed with full and half stars. What would you have us explain about this? Are you saying that somehow 2 and a half stars is different than a rating of "5"? Remember, the reviewer doesn't choose the number of stars; the system takes the 1-10 scale and divides by "2" in order to determine the number of stars.

As for the rating going from high to low, I'm totally puzzled. Our ratings are 10 (high) and 1 (low); how is that different from Amazon's?

ReviewCapture-L.jpg

In the pic above you are rating high to low from left to right in the overall rating. However, in the lower ratings you are rating from low to high as you go left to right. It is not consistent to my way of thinking.

Also if you were to click on 8 or 7, for example, they would both carry a descriptor of "good" thus the note to explain the half stars. 8 (good) would give 4 stars while 7 (also good) would result in 3.5 stars.

Just my 2 cents.

I think your point about the inconsistency of the direction of the ratings is a valid one and I have already submitted a suggestion to the programmers to change it.

As for the other issue, I think that most people know that a rating of "8" is better than a rating of "7" and our experience has been that most people focus on the numerical rating rather than the number of stars since we average the numerical rating and post it on each park's listing.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

As for the other issue, I think that most people know that a rating of "8" is better than a rating of "7" and our experience has been that most people focus on the numerical rating rather than the number of stars since we average the numerical rating and post it on each park's listing.

I am still not sure I understand the need to use a 10 point scale when everything else in the reviews is a 5 point scale. When I think of other places that do ratings, such as Amazon that I mentioned earlier, they are using a simple 5 point scale. Restaurants and hotels are rated on a 5 point scale for the most part here in the USA. And you have admit that Amazon and AAA are kind of the elephants in the room when it comes to rating merchandise, hotels and restaurants and everyone understands their rating system.

Edit: And is 8.2 average any different than 4.1?

However, if that is scale the site has chosen to pursue, then that is that.

Thanks for taking to heart my other suggestion.

Maybe the problem comes in where the coarser the granularity, the broader the scope of any given star and the higher the number of ties when comparing multiple choices. While statistically, this is not so important a distinction, emotionally, it makes the decision more difficult as the number in a multiway tie may be much larger.

Yes, I know, it is the old issue of measure it with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, but then cut it with an axe. The rankings are all pretty much subjective and no basis is provided to assess each reviewer's unit of worth for each of the surveyed points. This makes normalization impossible and the only aspect left to the reader is the emotional component formed by the form of the presentation. This is why the subtly contradictory direction of ranking charts (thermometer versus stars) is important.

Some people are just better than others with an axe.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

Archived