Low clearances

curlydoc

We are camping at White Salmon, Washington Bridge RV. Washington 14 has a number of tunnels with clearances at the shoulder marked. Yet I see full semis on this route. Can I get my Cedar Creek 5th wheel through these tunnels safely?

Measure and know your real height, don't just trust what the dealer or spec sheet said. Once you do know, you can better judge for yourself. If its close, err to the cautious side because sometimes there could be a couple of inches or more of asphalt on the placed AFTER the clearance measurement was done.

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

We are camping at White Salmon, Washington Bridge RV. Washington 14 has a number of tunnels with clearances at the shoulder marked. Yet I see full semis on this route. Can I get my Cedar Creek 5th wheel through these tunnels safely?

Which direction are you heading? If heading East then you might have a little trouble. You'll want to cross over from 14 to the Oregon side of the river at The Dalles on 197. Shortly past The Dalles on 14 there is a tunnel that only has a 13' clearance. Semis DO travel 14. There is generally less traffic, but they ALL cross over to 84.

You don't say which way you are going, but if it were us, we'd cross over at Hood River and take I-84 in either direction - we didn't like WA 14 except for a very short distance (had to do that when bridge on US 97 was being repaired.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

we didn't like WA 14 except for a very short distance

I rather like 14. It's slower going but a lot less traffic, more scenic IMO, and a lot more places to pull over and spend a bit of time. Of course, I really like the Maryhill museum (dedicated in memory of Queen Mary of Romania) and the baby stone-hedge. B)

I rather like 14. It's slower going but a lot less traffic, more scenic IMO, and a lot more places to pull over and spend a bit of time. Of course, I really like the Maryhill museum (dedicated in memory of Queen Mary of Romania) and the baby stone-hedge. B)

We enjoyed Maryhill museum, the 'Stonehedge' replica and especially Maryhill winery. But we visited by car. We drove from Maryhill down to The Dallas where we could cross - road was very rough, not a pleasant ride at all. Of course this was several years ago, I would hope that they have repaved in the meantime.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I would hope that they have repaved in the meantime.

From White Salmon heading West they did some work last year and more work is planned for this year I guess, but Eastward.. it's the same ol same ol. Pretty rough, but still a nice drive with a few boondocking sites practically right on the river. Not that 84 doesn't have it's appeal. I go through there about every year and always like going up top to take the old highway. Some great scenery up there but definitely a toad or TV trip.

Archived