GM/Isuzu/Spartan attempting to blur the lines?

Ray,IN

This announcement appears to be classifying GM 3500, 3500HD trucks as medium-duty trucks, with a gasoline engine.

It' confusing to me. Did the industry modify the age-old truck classifications? re: Light-duty = class 1,2, or 3; medium-duty = class 4,5, or 6; heavy-duty = cl 7 or 8.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

What's the problem? The Volvo plant that makes predominately Class 8 trucks also makes Class 7, 6, and 5 trucks.

GM had dropped out of the MDT market (4500, 5500) trucks and is coming back in. Many of the components of 4500/5500 are also in the 3500HD. I think calling the plant a MDT plant is reasonable.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I could be wrong here, but in looking at that announcement, the trucks they are talking about are based on the Isuzu N-series, and will not be a pickup truck. As to the actual classification as medium duty trucks, based on capacities, I do think that is misleading. Here is what I found for these new Chevy models:

http://www.chevrolet.com/low-cab-forward-trucks.html

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

The rules on class assignment haven't changed and still mean very little to RV folks as they are a tax classification based on the weight a truck can carry not pull. RV folks are better off ignoring the class / tax classification numbers and dealing with the actual specifications of the truck that matter for RV use.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

• 3 weeks later...

What's the problem? The Volvo plant that makes predominately Class 8 trucks also makes Class 7, 6, and 5 trucks.

GM had dropped out of the MDT market (4500, 5500) trucks and is coming back in. Many of the components of 4500/5500 are also in the 3500HD. I think calling the plant a MDT plant is reasonable.

We only build class 8 trucks.

Mike Hayes, Volvo truck builder

"If you can not measure it, you can not improve it."

Lord Kelvin

Unless you order with a lighter single rear axle. Like a VNL 200 with a 19,000 lb rear and a 11,000 lb front would be 30,000 GVWR Class 7.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

None of the HDT plants will let you order a single axle in the rear less than 23 K. Even with a 23K rear, some of them (Kenworth and Peterbilt for certain) will limit the engine to 1650 on the available torque.

Any front axle over a 10K rating will put you into class 8 territory. Ours has a 13.2K front and a 23K rear and is a class 8 for weight ratings. We tried very hard to get the factory to downgrade the weight ratings to get out of the extra taxes but it was a no go. The feds go by the rating of the installed components.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

You are right about 1650 torque and 23 K rear axles. But there are smaller engines (D11 1250 torque) and 13.8K front axle is no way standard. My VNL 770 had a 12.2 K front axle. When I took off one of the 19K rear axles, that put Red Rover at 31.2, and was re-rated as Class 7.

And while I had the bed built, the load capability of the bed can reduce the GVWR of the truck. Yes the Feds count components, all the components.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

And while I had the bed built, the load capability of the bed can reduce the GVWR of the truck. Yes the Feds count components, all the components.

No I am confused. Wouldn't the GVWR remain the same? Doesn't make any difference if the weight is pin weight, bed weight, drom box or anything else, the GVWR should be the same.

2017 Kenworth T680
2016 Smart Prime

If I had asked, the bed builder would have set the GVWR at 26,000 based upon limitations of what weight could be placed on the bed.

If I had that done and then carried a load that pushed the GVW over 26,000 then I would have to deal with the law if stopped.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

Scrap, makes no difference when paying the fee tax on the truck. They don't care what it is rated at only what it is equipped with as far as load ratings go when it is built. Georgia tags are cheap now (less than $100) so that is a wash.

2017 Kenworth T680
2016 Smart Prime

Quote from the link Chalkie provided:

3500HD Low Cab Forward

Equipped with a DOHC 3.0L I-4 4J turbocharged diesel engine paired with a 6-speed transmission with double overdrive, the 3500HD delivers 150 hp and 282 lb-ft of torque. Available in Regular Cab configuration.

4500HD & 4500XD Low Cab Forward

Fitted with a 5.2L I-4 4H turbocharged diesel engine and paired with a 6-speed transmission, the 4500HD and 4500XD deliver 215 hp and 452 lb-ft of torque. Both are available in a Regular Cab and Crew Cab configurations.

5500HD & 5500XD Low Cab Forward

Equipped with a 5.2L I-4 4H turbocharged diesel engine, the 5500HD and 5500XD produce 215 hp and 452 lb-ft of torque. The 5500HD is available in Regular Cab and Crew Cab configurations. The 5500XD is available in a Regular Cab configuration.

None of those stats sound like they have enough power/torque to pull much of a load, nor is towing even mentioned.

They will be just as under-powered as previous Isuzu trucks.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

You don't have a medium duty truck. A class 7 is 26,001 to 33,000 pounds and a class 8 is 33,001 and up. Any class 7 or 8 truck is considered a HDT and most will have air brakes as well. My older Freightliner was rated at 30,700 pounds despite have a 23K rear and a 12K front to avoid the fed tax at that time.

As far as engines go, I still remember working on 250 Cummins back in the early 70's. The "250" designation was the HP rating and those were class 8 over the road tractors.

2017 Kenworth T680
2016 Smart Prime

Archived