At Sea about which RV

Skohl

I need help. Not really deciding which model or even manufacturer. (I bought all the RV Review guides) I am comfortable making a decision about that, but I just can't figure out what type of RV. In the early 2000's we had a Sunnybrokk 5th wheel. Modest size and cost. I loved the roominess of the slide and comfort. My husband hated backing it up. We also had a Ram 2500 Diesel. Now we have a Ram 1500 gas truck capable of towing between 8000 and 9000 lbs.

I want a smaller set up to camp in NFS, NPS, BLM and state campgrounds. Sorry but RV parks just aren't for me.

So I've been looking at Nash trailers or a smaller motor home. Something under 30 ft. 25 would be better. I'd really like a queen bed that doesn't have to convert from some other piece of furniture and I don't think I want to climb in and out of a bed over the driver seats.(I need to be able to sit up in bed and go to the bathroom without acrobatics.

So what suggestions do you have. I think I'll be doing most of the driving this time, I'm comfortable with driving either setup but I'll have to some serious practicing backing up a trailer. Motor home, no problem.

Thanks in advance.

Susan, soon to be camper gal.

Susan, welcome to the Escapee Forums! We are privileged to have you choose to join us here.

While most owners of fifth wheel trailers consider them to be easier to back than a travel trailer, but I have also known a few who were good at backing a travel trailer but never mastered backing a fifth wheel. But I also wonder if you might be wiser to consider something in a motorized RV? Having had one, I can tell you that it is the least difficult to back (for similar size) of any type of RV or trailer that I have ever driven.

There is nothing at all wrong with choosing a smaller RV. American society seems to trend to the idea of bigger and more expensive makes most things better for the most part but there are those of us around who do not buy into that philosophy. We lived fulltime in a rather modest motorhome and now travel seasonally in a travel trailer of 20' length. We still have never owned an RV with a slide. We chose this one because it has a queen (RV shortened) with access to 3 sides and while a bit tight at times, we have lived for as long as 5 consecutive months in it and done so quite happily. Should you choose to stay with your present tow vehicle, I do suggest that you try to stay to the low side of the weight limits as we found that our 5000# rated SUV had all that it wanted to deal with towing our trailer at less then 4000# gross weight. We recently moved to a Ram 2500 diesel and it twos ours much better. Pam & I are to the smaller side of the population and really don't need the space of the larger RVs and so are quite happy with our choice. Interestingly, here at the Escapade, the trend does seem to be to larger and larger RVs, but there are also more of the small ones this year than any recent year. Our 20' trailer is one of the smaller ones but there must be at least 10 that are smaller than ours!

Welcome to the forums and jump in at any time!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Have you looked at the Winnebago View 24G? It has a slide is at the rear that opens to reveal a Queen-sized bed. http://winnebagoind.com/products/class-c/2016/view/floorplans

I admit to being biased towards the View because we lived in one for a year and a half and saw most of the country during that time. It's a great vehicle for traveling.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I would do what we did again. Went from 40' DP to 30' C and would consider A also. We have one slide and to upgrade I would go to two, that way bed would go EW and give a bit more space and in most a nice sized wardrobe. You don't say if fulltime then storage would be an Issue and would look at a 5th wheel also, but you seem to discount this. We have been fine for 3 months at a time with all four season wear in the 30' and have not had any problem with state or national parks. We do tow and the Ford V10 is a good tow motor and you can find(depending on budget) from new to several year old great coach's in A or C. Oh ours does not have the bed over the cab and has much storage and entertainment center there, we would still have room for a grand kid or two also.

LEN

Maybe you should start with your "mission plan." You have already indicated a preference for a smaller coach and that there will be two adults in it. Any children or pets? Any mobility or health problems? How long do you plan on staying in one place? Remember that most full-timers end up towing something with something else. Either they have a truck that tows a travel trailer or fifth wheel or they have a motor home that tows another vehicle. The vehicle that isn't the RV will be your daily driver and will get most of the miles.

The conventional wisdom is that a MH is best for those who will generally not stay in one place more than 30 days, while a towable is generally suggested for those who don't move as frequently. I'd suggest that you make that decision first.

If climbing steps is an issue I'd suggest that you stick with a travel trailer, as both motor homes and fifth wheels (aka 5'ers) require more stairs to get in simply because of the basement.

I'd also strongly suggest that you buy used first, as most people don't get it quite right the first time, and the depreciation can be a big hit on the budget. Let someone else take that hit for the first couple of times.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Thanks for the feedback. My DH and I are semi retired. I'm not ready to full time, but I'd like some 4-6 week trips a year and summer trips locally with the grandkids. We toured with our 5er for a month at a time and loved it. I am leaning towards a used 25-30 foot motorhome. Mostly because I don't really want to drive towing a trailer. I'm looking at a 2007 27' Jayco. I also like the Minnie Winnies. Guess it depends on what I can find at the right price. Still like the Nash trailers though.

Thanks

Susan

Check out the Trek's. They have the bed that at a push of a button comes down for sleeping in, then when not sleeping goes back up to the ceiling. This gives you a good B quality built coach, 26-30' models available, and the living space with he bed up out of the way is much larger then a comparable size Class A or C. We know a couple that due to where they park it size restrictions, moved from their old tried and true Class C to the Trek - and are very pleased with the additional living space. The down side, is if one of you is a night person, and the other an AM person, the living quarters get crowded with the bed down. This couple the Husband likes to get up early, but he makes his pot of coffee, and then goes outside and leaves his wife in bed for a couple more hours of shut eye. So for them, it is working out well. These can be found with both the F53 V10 and 5spd, and or on a Workhorse with the 8.1 - both are great running gear for such a small rig:)!

And Lazy Daze Class C's can be found in models that have a queen in the rear... and are well liked Class C's.

Best of luck to you on your decision:)! Enjoy,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Archived