car insurance when switching states.

3 hours ago, LFDR3116 said:

I would check with a TX agent about Progressive insurance.  The agent you had couldn't write a TX policy for you, but there is probably a TX agent that can write a Progressive policy.  They are a nation wide company.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:30 PM, LFDR3116 said:

I would check with a TX agent about Progressive insurance.  The agent you had couldn't write a TX policy for you, but there is probably a TX agent that can write a Progressive policy.  They are a nation wide company.

Thanks. 

On 6/9/2018 at 1:43 PM, MdwstGrl said:

I retired from Missouri last summer and moved to Texas and made it my domicile. My car insurance MORE THAN DOUBLED because I was staying in an RV park in southern TX (Mission) which is only a few miles north of the Mexican border (this is my car insurance-my travel trailer insurance stayed almost the same). (Texas) Farm Bureau told me if my address had been Livingston TX, it would be cheaper than being so close to the border. They were not happy when I explained using the mail forwarding service of Escapees so I could use their address. I am also not happy with Farm Bureau as they also charge $50 per year membership fee. So I'm back searching for car/RV insurance and very appreciative of everyone's experiences. 

Just to follow up on my discussion. By going through Escapees Mail Forwarding and moving my address from Southern Texas to Livingston, Texas, I managed to save $550 yearly which more than compensates for the yearly cost of mail forwarding (and avoiding all those hassles with the Postal Service). This cost reflects the same coverage I had previously except I added roadside assistance to both my car and my travel trailer. End of story is car insurance is much cheaper further north in Texas than down by the Mexican border. Thanks everyone for their suggestions.

2 hours ago, MdwstGrl said:

End of story is car insurance is much cheaper further north in Texas than down by the Mexican border.

I suspect that this comes from a combination of higher theft rates and more uninsured drivers from south of the border. Another advantage to your move is that you can go anywhere without changing your address. Just have the mail forwarded. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived