Front end squirrely?

Velos

Replaced all the truck tires (2000 Freightlier FL60; we previously had Michelin's and went to Toyo's. Loved the smoother ride.) in April and hit the road for the summer. Truck seemed to drive squirrely so took it to a tire store and had them re-balanced the tires and it was fine for a couple of months. Then today the front end started up again so going to take it to a shop but looking for opinions on what it might be?

Take it to a shop that really specializes in truck tires and can check to see if the tires are "out of round" worked miracles for me on brand new michelins. Just balancing them at Les Schwab will not do the trick. I've been down this road three separate times twice with Dually PU's and most recently (Last week) with my M2 106.

Take it to a shop that really specializes in truck tires and can check to see if the tires are "out of round" worked miracles for me on brand new michelins. Just balancing them at Les Schwab will not do the trick. I've been down this road three separate times twice with Dually PU's and most recently (Last week) with my M2 106.

Thank you for bringing it up, I had heard discussions about "out of round" but forgot about it.

Randy I think you are asking me a question here if you are here's what I had done.

My specific truck (2017 M2106) came from freightliner with Michelins 255/80-22.5. On the way home from Texas back to the west coast (2000 miles) at times there was a horrible shimmy in the steering wheel. I realized immediately that I either had a tire or both tires on the front out of balance because i was feeling it in the steering wheel and not the drivers seat. Being under warranty my first step was to Freightliner which they didnt help me ( I will spare you the long story) but they claimed they couldnt do the work. My first mistake was taking it to Les Schwab where they removed the two fronts and added 6 oz of weight on both. The result was it was better but still not acceptable. So round two I took it to Keizer wheel and Brake. What they did was raise the front end and then they spin each tire with a roller that makes contact with the tire. The machine they use then chalks the tire evenly. But I could literally see it was out of round while it was spinning. My left front had about a 8 inch gap where the chalk didn't make contact with the tire. They then true the tire by shaving it down so that the tire is evenly round or symmetrical. After they were done truing each tire they static balanced each tire (Front) on the vehicle and ended up adding 3 or 4 ounces of weight. It cost me $120 to have both fronts done. It now drives very smooth. Admittedly it was painful to watch brand new expensive tires being trued as the shop floor was covered with rubber.

Interestingly when I initially took it to Freightliner I was told that a tech drove it and indicated to the service writer that they "kind of" felt it but thought it would be better once I had some weight (trailer) on the back of it. :rolleyes:

The Toyo's I had would wonder everywhere. And after around 5000 miles it got over it on those. Now the ones I have on my Kodiak C5500 225/70R19.5's I had to get cut. And after they took a cup or rubber from each tire. It now rides great no shake at 60 and above.

Pete

event.png

Archived