Credit cards for fuel-need advice

Someone at a FT seminar brought up the need to carry a different credit card than the spouse in case one gets compromised or a wallet/purse goes missing you will have a backup until things get sorted out.

If I am going to get another one I might as well save on fuel and I am considering the PenFederal CU since it is 5% back on fuel purchases. Any ideas or comments on this?

Pilot/FlyingJ has an RV credit card that is .08 per gallon of diesel discount.

Any other ideas for fuel discounts?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...PenFederal CU since it is 5% back on fuel purchases. Any ideas or comments on this?

Pilot/FlyingJ has an RV credit card that is .08 per gallon of diesel discount.

Any other ideas for fuel discounts?...

Penn Federal is a good one, not sure what the membership fee is now days. American Express has a card that gives 6% on groceries and 3% on fuel all the time, but the yearly fee is $75 so you have to consider that in whether it will be worth it. Both Chase and Discover usually have one 3 month period a year where fuel is 5% cashback.

Another way to get fuel discounts is with grocery store loyalty cards. Safeway and Kroger seem to be the ones with the widest distribution of stores and fuel stations. Kroger owns a large number of stores including: Kroger, Ralphs, Dillons, Smith's, King Soopers, Fry's, QFC, City Market, Owen's, Jay C, Pay Less, Baker's, Gerbes, Harris Teeter, Pick N' Save, Copps, Metro Market, Mariano's, and Fred Meyer. They also own: Kwik Shop, Loaf N' Jug, Quik Stop Markets, Tom Thumb Food Stores, Turkey Hill Minit Markets, and Smith's Express convenience stores. The loyalty card works at all the grocery stores and the fuel points can be redeemed at any of their fuel stations. The reward point program has changed from time to time, but it has always been worth it to us. Combined with credit card cash back the savings per gallon can sometimes be substantial.

I believe that Flying J still gives a discount to Good Sam/Camping World members (you just swipe your Good Sam Card) and it works with your credit card that can have cashback fuel rewards.

Getting two cards is a wise thing to do. Our Capitol One was just compromised so I am using another card. Also, Capitol One will not charge extra if used outside the USA like others will. My wife's Capitol One card has a different number so is still good to use. The bill includes both her and my charges on our one account. I am glad I have a backup card.

You mentioned Pen Fed, I opened an account but to get the full 5% back on fuel you must have an active checking/savings account or a CD with at least $1K in it. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

You mentioned Pen Fed, I opened an account but to get the full 5% back on fuel you must have an active checking/savings account or a CD with at least $1K in it. Greg

We opened a money market account with just $50 in it to qualify for the full 5% on our cash back VISA from PenFed. It doesn't pay as much interest as our share (savings) account though. I think $25 was the money market minimum.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Penn Federal is a good one, not sure what the membership fee is now days.

There is no membership fee to join the PenFed CU. If you don't qualify with prior military or government service, there are a couple of related charitable organizations you can join for one year to qualify. Their typical fees are just a one time $10-15.

Dutch

There is no membership fee to join the PenFed CU. If you don't qualify with prior military or government service, there are a couple of related charitable organizations you can join for one year to qualify. Their typical fees are just a one time $10-15.

Thanks! That is what I was referring to, but I mistakenly thought you had to retain your organization affiliation annually.

We use Discover for all our AutoPays and Chase Freedom for all shopping, groceries, restaurants, fuel, etc. If the Chase is compromised we don't have to change any of our AutoPay information when getting a new Acct. #. Both give us cash back. We pay it off every month with no fees. It's amazing how much cash back we receive because we use the card for absolutely everything.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Thanks! That is what I was referring to, but I mistakenly thought you had to retain your organization affiliation annually.

Under the PenFed rules, if you're related to a member, you're eligible to join, and after the first year you're already a member, so still eligible. I'm sure the charitable organizations would prefer you keep renewing though! ;)

Dutch

Bank of America Visa card 3% fuel, 2% grocery's also items at wholesale clubs and 1% for everything else.

Discover card 5% on fuel for 3 months that they pick.

NO Fees on either one of them.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Interesting Dutch, I was told something different last year. I needed an active account with a minimum number of auto deposits or the $1K CD to get the 5% back on fuel, otherwise it's only 3% back each month.. Thanks.....Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

We had a Visa card compromised last month at a Flying J when we got fuel. Less than 1/2 hour later, got a text from the bank fraud unit about several suspicious charges. Had the card cancelled and fortunately, had other cards available, as we were just heading out for a couple weeks. There had to be a reader on the fuel pump, but they are not visible, so, just be aware, and if your bank has a rapid fraud alert system available, use it.

Interesting Dutch, I was told something different last year. I needed an active account with a minimum number of auto deposits or the $1K CD to get the 5% back on fuel, otherwise it's only 3% back each month.. Thanks.....Greg

As I recall, when the new 3%/5% rules first came out they were more restrictive, and then more qualifying accounts were added.

Click here and then click on "How to qualify for the Plus Card".

Dutch

Getting 8 cents off per gallon of diesel at FlyingJ is not so good when all of

the FlyingJs in my area are 25 cents more per gallon of diesel then most other stations. You

can look it up with Gas Buddy on your cell phone.

I always have two credit cards because if one is rejected, it has been, I just use the other.

Another benefit of PenFed is they do not charge any transaction fees (like WF) when using it in Canada, and the offer the best conversion rate.

George and Ann Marie

2014 Cedar Creek 36CKTS, 640W of Solar

2012 Ram 3500, DRW, Cummins, Big Horn, Q20, Retrax Pro

Retired US Army

We travel nation wide so need a card that can be used everywhere. Our Giant Eagle get go discount card is not much use in a State that does not have Giant Eagle stores.

We drive a rig that is 56 feet long Diesel truck and 5th wheel so we need a fueling stop that is friendly to us.

We both have RV plus cards with different Numbers' We both have bank cards with different numbers.We also both have USAA accounts

Strange as it may seem we have not have a credit card problem in 10 years of traveling the country.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

I use an REI card and Dave uses a USAA card to buy nearly everything. We pay off both every month. Both pay cash back. Dave monitors them online pretty much daily so we catch any fraud quickly. If either card gets compromised, we both switch to the good card until the replacement cards arrive.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We use our Costco VISA card for almost everything. Both cards have different numbers, so if one is compromised, we have the other one to use.

Ditto

Jim & Vickie
'07 F150
'10 Chalet XL1935
Chimacum, Wa

Evergreen Coho SKP Park Website:

http://www.evergreencohoskprvpark.com/

Evergreen Coho SKP on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Evergreen-Coho-SKP-RV-Park/563601217103332

Thanks everyone for the advice.

The PenFed is in the lead right now since it is 5% credited monthly with no limit. More setup required with membership-I'll have to join one of those charities they accept-and the need to have cash in some other account. The money market is $25 minimum but i could not tell if that required regular direct deposit or not. Otherwise I'll get the $1000 CD type thing they have.

Costco and Sam's are both attractive but they have limits on fuel annually ($7K/$6K) and I really have no idea how much I'll spend on fuel but the real downside is you get a rebate check that can only be cashed (or spent) at Costco or Sam's.

Those fuel limits got me thinking...how much do you spend on fuel a year? I realize this would be wildly variable but I am looking for ballpark.

Archived