Cell phone charging?

maggie blair

It seem that your problem that you don't have DC power in your RV. Do the lights, water pump, Gas leak detector or other things on DC circuits work?

Have you checked the DC fuses? If you have power to those things your batteries are hooked up to DC side of trailer. Do you have the lighter plug near the TV center? If not, you could add a lighter plug adapter to your batteries. Make sure the voltage at eh lighter plug adapter is 12 volts. Good luck.

Mary

The car is what I have been using but the 12v in RV doesn't work unless I turn engine on. House batteries are charged so I can't figure it out. :(

The 12V outlet in the dashboard is probably connected to the chassis battery (the battery which starts the engine) and is wired to not have power unless the key is turned on.

However most motorhomes have other 12V outlets connected to the house battery.

Of course it could be that all outlets are wired to the chassis battery. Unusual, but possible.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

I've added a few extra 12-volt outlets at various places in our coach, some of which are used for cell phone charging, etc. I usually just tap into nearby light wiring to power them, and haven't had any overloading problems so far.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

We have 2 outlets on the dash. One is only powered with ignition key on and the other one s powered all the time. Both I believe are powered from the chassis batteries. One of my future projects is to install a couple of usb powered outlets from the house batteries.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

I've been using my car battery but the 12 V in the RV is not working unless I turn on the engine. I must be doing something wrong. :(

Are you saying that no 12V power works when the engine isn't running, or that the plug in your dash stops when the engine is off? If it is the latter you can do a quick check by turning the key to the on position, as though the engine is running. It is very common for the dash plug to be wired through the ignition switch to prevent discharging the chassis battery since it is supplied by that battery. As others have mentioned, there is usually a 12V outlet located near the TV which is supplied by the RV 12V system and which will work without the engine running. It should work if the lights, water pump, and appliances are working.

Since you are traveling in a motorhome, I am suspecting that you are using the plug in the dash.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Even after you sort out the differences in your 12V in the tow vehicle and trailer, having an independent option is not a bad way to go for only minor charging needs.

https://www.amazon.com/ALLPOWERS-Foldable-Technology-Portable-Notebooks/dp/B00G6CDTGS/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1467580758&sr=8-6&keywords=portable+solar+panel+charger&refinements=p_72%3A2661618011

Best,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

How do people charge their cell phones while boondocking? I do not have solar yet. Any ideas welcome.

Thanks

For years I have used a 12 volt car jumper battery, that has a 12 volt input charging circuit.

To this I have a small 30-watt solar panel that I plug in for charging. Off this battery I charge my phones, computers, music speakers, AA and AAA batteries, etc......anything with a cigarette plug!!

I even run my telescope's computerized system off the battery at night and the combination battery also runs my fly fishing pontoon boat.

http://usbackroads.blogspot.com/2012/05/solar-powered-fishing-boat.html

This has a picture of the battery and panel together as well as my generator.

http://usbackroads.blogspot.com/2012/06/solar-or-generator-for-camping.html

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

Until you get better prepared to Boondock, perhaps getting a high power battery charger such as:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q9X0QOM?psc=1

Perhaps as you drive in to town for supplies you could charge the boost unit, then keep your phone off until you need it.

The LAST thing you want to do is draw down the battery and then be stuck in the Boondocks. :unsure:

Traveling America in "God's Grace"

We carry a couple of cell phone battery pack chargers for quick emergency needs.

X2 We carry one larger battery pack and two smaller easily pocketed ones that work very well for us when we're away from other power sources. Our 6620L Jetpack can also charge our phones if needed.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

IF the phone is in SEARCH mode that will drain the battery real quick.

I shut off the phone is marginal service areas and only turn on to download text messages or call somebody. Our cabin is in one of these areas. It really is amazing how quickly the battery drains in these situations. I was thinking my battery was dying.

Vladimr Steblina

usbackroads.blogspot.com

IF the phone is in SEARCH mode that will drain the battery real quick.

I think what Vladimir is talking about is when you are not near good towers so your phone keep searching for some. Yes, turn the phone off there. Then TRY to remember to turn it back on when you move. :)

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I think what Vladimir is talking about is when you are not near good towers so your phone keep searching for some. Yes, turn the phone off there. Then TRY to remember to turn it back on when you move. :)

Linda Sand

Thanks...Linda. English is my fourth language.

Vladimr Steblina

usbackroads.blogspot.com

Thanks...Linda. English is my fourth language.

It's more of the ascent we have problems with... :)!

(As I do with mixing the right words, and letters to form words, on my owe so not crisp posts!!!!)

:)!

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Take the vehicle to an auto electrian and have a couple of sockets wired direct to the start battery and to the house batteries, make sure the cicuits are fused, if you are going to be parked up for a while you will need some way to recharge your batteries,

a generator or a couple of folding portable solar panels

mick

Are you saying that no 12V power works when the engine isn't running, or that the plug in your dash stops when the engine is off? If it is the latter you can do a quick check by turning the key to the on position, as though the engine is running. It is very common for the dash plug to be wired through the ignition switch to prevent discharging the chassis battery since it is supplied by that battery. As others have mentioned, there is usually a 12V outlet located near the TV which is supplied by the RV 12V system and which will work without the engine running. It should work if the lights, water pump, and appliances are working.

Since you are traveling in a motorhome, I am suspecting that you are using the plug in the dash.

Maggie Blair

Archived