Towing In EXtreme Temps

jfaulkner

I will be traveling from Yuma, AZ to Prescott Valley, AZ on Wednesday. The temperature is forecast to be around 113. I plan to leave early in the morning. Since I will be traveling in 113 temps, but leaving when the temps are between 85 and 90, should I still air my trailer tires to 80 PSI, or a couple of lbs lower?

The other thing that has me concerned is the pull out of Black Cannon City on I-17 N, which is about 5 miles of 6%, in 113 temps. I've never had a high temp engine problem, but neither have I had a long pull in 113 temps.

Jer

International 4700LP (2000)

Travel Supreme (36RLTSOA)

Fulltimer

The nighttime drive seems safer and cooler!

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

Why did you choose I-17?

Is Yarnell Hill Closed outside of Congress? That way is the very best way by going around the Prescott Mtn.s right into Prescott Valley via Prescott?

From Wickenburg take a look at that route if you've not done so already. It is also our favorite back door from the west heading straight up to I-40 to all points east and west from there. I-17 is not our favorite climb except for ideal conditions.

"GAR" is a 2001 White Volvo 660 singled long w/ VED12 465 3.58 - Eaton Fuller Auto-shift 10spd. 3 pedal- Onan QD 6500 Gen. (aka "Joyrider")

2010 Carriage Royals International 36MAX1 w/ MORryde IS, G114's 17.5" wheels, (SOLD)

2014 Honda CRV AWD (ready to flat tow but driven separately by my DW!

Class of 2016 Full-Timers

I will be traveling from Yuma, AZ to Prescott Valley, AZ on Wednesday. The temperature is forecast to be around 113. I plan to leave early in the morning. Since I will be traveling in 113 temps, but leaving when the temps are between 85 and 90, should I still air my trailer tires to 80 PSI, or a couple of lbs lower?

The other thing that has me concerned is the pull out of Black Cannon City on I-17 N, which is about 5 miles of 6 degrees, in 113 temps. I've never had a high temp engine problem, but neither have I had a long pull in 113 temps.

Jer

I would not take much off your needed psi but I'm no expert. you do have some time to research before you leave and this is the right place to be! :)

We've got to get on the road ourselves. We were going to leave Green Valley AZ/Amado AZ area a couple of days ago to 'beat this round of heat waves. We could not be ready in time so we've been laying low for the worst of this heat wave. We have to travel to South Dakota (via I-10 eastbound) on the Arizona leg of the trip. We must leave early Thursday am this week and it will be at least 112 throughout the week. Kind of sucks for us doesn't it? So you bring up vital points on the tire pressures. Are you running with a reliable TPMS that will give you psi and temp alarms if it gets out of range? We just put in a Pressure Pro system and we'll be watching all the tire psi's and driving slower and resting the rubber at a couple of extra rest stops too.

I sure hope you consider the other opinions showing up on your post. Maybe you could leave pre-dawn to help too.

"GAR" is a 2001 White Volvo 660 singled long w/ VED12 465 3.58 - Eaton Fuller Auto-shift 10spd. 3 pedal- Onan QD 6500 Gen. (aka "Joyrider")

2010 Carriage Royals International 36MAX1 w/ MORryde IS, G114's 17.5" wheels, (SOLD)

I also have Pressure Pro. Leaving early but trying to plan so as not to hit Phoenix rush hour traffic.

Tipper
I'm 56 feet long. I thought 89 was very curvy and would be much slower. Will give it more thought. Have you been passed Congress all the way to Prescott.

Jerry

Fulltimer

I also have Pressure Pro. Leaving early but trying to plan so as not to hit Phoenix rush hour traffic.

Tipper

I'm 56 feet long. I thought 89 was very curvy and would be much slower. Will give it more thought. Have you been passed Congress all the way to Prescott.

Jerry

Glad to hear you can monitor those tires & wheels! That to me is like having eyes under your rig watching everything. ;-)

Many folks like the road that bypasses the prescott mountains. The biggest grade is pretty short lived as you'll climb up Yarnell Hill. There were some bad fires in that area a few weeks ago so be sure to check with AZDOT for closures this week.

At Kirkland Junction turn off and go left through Kirkland & Skull Valley. It lets out right behind old Prescott. It's a great bypass of traffic. We've taken it with our Winnebago Adventurer 35A with a jeep toad with no issues. There's that short lived climb on Yarnell Hill. The rest is like a drive in the country! :-) We learned about it when we last stayed at the Escapees Rainbow Park at North Ranch. It's good road all the way (at least it was last year for us) It bypasses the 89 snake & the Prescott Mtn's altogether.

If it gets too hot just stop at North Ranch for the night and enjoy a short cool arrival the next morning in Prescott Valley. We thought we'd discovered a new fishing hole when we took that route last year to head up to I-40 and then to Williams AZ. If you reroute I'd sure like to hear from you about what you thought about this detour. It may become your new favorite route between Yuma and all points heading north.

Tipper

Jerry

After you pass Wilhoit 89 gets very curvy, with several switch backs. I believe the length limit there is 40'. You can take the turnoff to Kirkland Junction and go through Skull valley into Prescott on Iron Springs road. All 2 lane road that's pretty good. there is a train over pass just after Skull Valley but its marked as 15' so shouldn't be a problem.

Dave

I don't know how much pressure rise you'll see from the high temps but you sure don't want your tire pressures lower than they need to be since any sidewall flex is going to add even more heat.

We never adjusted our tire pressures for the Arizona summer, well other than what the outside temp did to the "cold" inflation pressure. :-)

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

My "Mountain Directory West" says the following regarding the grade just south of Yarnell, AZ. "The descent going south is about 5 1/2 miles of 5-6% grade with many 25 and 30 mph curves and a couple of 20 mph hairpin turns." Going north I would have to make this climb. Sounds worse then the climb out of Black City Cannon on I-17. On other thought is, if I have any problems going the Yarnell route I am out in the middle of nowhere. My rig is in good condition. I am just worried about heat conditions.

Jer

Fulltimer

I agree with 4 and 9. You're not much older than me and I'd not hesitate to do a night run. Look at it this way, cooler, less traffic, moonrise at about 9:30 pm so by midnite the moon will be providing a fair bit of lite for the rest of the night. When I used to boat, I'd wait till midnite and the wind and water to die down in Georgia strait then head out across to the mainland side and up to Desolation Sound. With the moon up and calm waters visibility was good.

Probably too late but let us know how you made out.

Archived