Sport Chassis factory trip

Morelli

Yes there is a difference from a Freightliner M2-106 and SportChassis M2-106. A standard M2-106 is a truck rated at 56,000 lbs and has and carries a wide range of classifications which means some of them do require a Class A to operate. The SportChassis M2-106 is made with suspension enchancements only for SC and is stamped as a 19.5K lbs truck so a Class C license usable.

Some of the companies out there that do true conversions and buy the M2 chassis trucks will do different things. These trucks are not made for them, they are purchased from the Freightliner dealers for conversion. Some are spec'd for ride no hauling, others will use a truck spec'd for hauling and it's based weights. If you are the original owners and have the trucks properly registered for warranty work, go to Freightliner and get a DTNA online account. From there, you can get the build specs of truck based on VIN and learn a lot about it. You will find that even though your truck is a M2-106 Crew Cab, what's under it will be different. M2-106 chassis will go from class 5 to class 7. One of the reasons I like SC so much is all the trucks from year to year are made exactly the same, only changes is the engines (8.3, 9.0, 13, Detroit, Cummins, Mercedes).

Mine if I remember correctly is 10K front axle, airliner air ride in the rear, air cab, air seats, h rated tires.

Oh, almost forgot, one massive difference on SC trucks that you will not find from others ! The bed on SC trucks are not directly attached to the frame. SC manufactures the bed so it has its own frame and makes special brackets that attach to the frame of the truck in specific bolt hole locations to isolates the bed from the frame and gives it its own suspension / isolation ' smooth ride characteristics. A bed that is directly attached to the frame and is forced to flex with the frame will give a harsher ride when empty.

I hope that helps.

I would kill for one of those Sportschassis trucks, especially in RED!!

Joe

I would tale a red one or a white one with red stripes.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Pug,

Thank you...I have been trying to figure out the differences. My combo front / back is 10/17.5 K pounds. I am feeling pretty good with this purchase.

Std tires on this rig were 245/75 22.5s. Wonder why they are so much than toolz at 295/70-22.5.

Regardless, you have answered questions :)

Thanks !

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

. Beagle co-pilots - Faffy and Lulu

post-55437-0-48163800-1467694972_thumb.jpgI was mistaken on my tire size. The rears are 275/80R22.5 (original Michelins) and the fronts are 295/75R22.5 Firestones. Tire dealer told me that the 275s are pretty much Michelin only, and spec out the same as the 295s from everybody else. I think part of my harsh ride is due to the rear tires being 10 years old. They seem really stiff, and will be replaced soon. I dropped the front pressure to 80, and the rear to 90 for my trip this past weekend, and it seemed to help some. Trailer weight was at 29k.

The two sizes are indeed interchangeable, but the 275/80 size isn't exclusive to Michelin. While Michelin is the predominant manufacturer using that size, there's a geographical pattern to the sizes.

The 275/80 variants are used by European-based manufacturers (Michelin and Continental, for example), including, in most cases, their North American brands (BFGoodrich and Uniroyal for Michelin, General for Continental), while the 295/75 size is common to North American and Asian manufacturers (Goodyear, Bridgestone).

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Archived