Sport Chassis factory trip

Morelli

Took the Sport Chassis truck on a long trip back to the factory for some adjustments and wow, it performed extremely well ! 1400 miles / 32 hours of driving each way (21 hours one day, 11 the next) and with the Bostrom seats, did it with no pain at all !! I set the back up as a sleeper and turned out to be extremely comfortable, was surprised.

Finally after all this time, got to put faces with voices and meet the folks that I have only chatted with via email and telephone. The Sport Chassis team spent the day with me, got a detailed breakdown of what they do, how they manufacture the trucks and a detailed tour of the entire factory. Great folks, super friendly, got to spend time with the mechanics and assembly people on the floor, answered tons of questions and got details on what Frieghtliner does for them and only them that is not available on a M2 chassis from the Frieghtliner. They are truly a manufacturer and not a conversion company.

Here are some pictures (was not allowed to photograph some items due) of what would be my truck before the second half of assembly. Just image the assembly line split into two locations and Sport Chassis being the second ....

image_zpslpwajtzj.jpeg

image_zpsrg7pl3kb.jpeg

image_zps0qotmocy.jpeg

image_zpsxelmvsop.jpeg

image_zpshvmkey0t.jpeg

image_zpstohkll0g.jpeg

image_zpsvz4ti92q.jpeg

image_zpsi6uzxhwy.jpeg

image_zps2qu9y2lw.jpeg

If you all get a chance, go see them, well worth it ! There lounge was fantastic, got to spend time there to catch up on some work also.

Thanks for the tour,

Could you; are you at liberty to, elaborate the features that Sport Chassis has an exclusive on for the M2?

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

The main item is the change to rear suspension that allows to react faster to road changes. I was asked not photograph it since it is unique to SC. That and the ballast used on their trucks without the roughneck 40K hitch makes for a wonderful ride ! My truck does not have the ballast since I have the roughneck 40 hitch and air ride 5th wheel but the two combined is 200 lbs greater weight than the ballast and with the tires set at 90 in the rear and 95 in the front, what an wonderful ride to and from SC.

Here are a couple pics of the holding area trucks waiting next stage of assembly ....

image_zpseo0e35qe.jpeg

image_zpsddxkzvsf.jpeg

Filled with 8.3's, 9.0's and DD13's .... There where also a couple special units for special projects ' prototype work. They even built a couple right hand drive trucks, a few hotshot haulers with DOT legal sleepers and more.

Here is the final product ...

Pug at the factory:

image_zpsjy0muepo.jpeg

Pug at home washed and detailed:

How do you tilt the hood with the massive (and impressive) grill guard? It looks really solid.

2006 Freightliner M2-112 Sportchassis
2015 Keystone Raptor 412-TS
Lots of motorcycles and toys

Murfreesboro, TN.

The grill guard has pros and cons, looks nice and functional but has draw backs.

Cons with this unit, blocks part of the headlights for night driving, pain to open to check fluids, when open must step over and in and if not paying attentions you will be on the ground quickly !

Pros, built with extra lights mounting points, built-in tow pin area, functional protection on impact, looks good, lower to the ground than stock bumper, takes out small road animals with no damage.

The pros and cons vary by manufacturer of these types of units. They are all somewhat a pain to open. The thing I hate the most is the way this blocks the headlights. This manufacturer is the worst and had to paint the inside loops black to prevent reflection back to the cab. Next time I plan to purchase the unit seperately from a different manufacturer and mount it myself.

Yes, they are expensive, they all are especially when functional on the protection side ! This one is not decoration.

Pug

I am curious what Sport Chaises does for ballast. I have a new 106 and it rides great with trailer on but bobtailed the ride is pretty stiff. It is not a sport chasis. Wandering if there was any adjustments in suspension or just needed to add a little weight empty.

Pug

I am curious what Sport Chaises does for ballast. I have a new 106 and it rides great with trailer on but bobtailed the ride is pretty stiff. It is not a sport chasis. Wandering if there was any adjustments in suspension or just needed to add a little weight empty.

Rear air suspension or springs ?

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

. Beagle co-pilots - Faffy and Lulu

Sportchassis rear suspension is air with additions done only available to SC. So a standard 106 with rear air compared to SC 106 are two different trucks at the bare frame. Ballast is a specially made steel block filled with cement that bolts to the frame and adds around 800 lbs. That ballast is positioned about 12 inches behind the axle.

Trucks fitted with the roughneck 30K hitch does not have the ballast. The hitch alone is around 500 lbs and plus a 400 lbs air fifth wheel, ballast is more than needed.

I have similar questions. I also have an M2 106 Crew Cab that rides a bit rough. I know it's a truck, but I'd like to improve the ride as much as possible. Mine is air ride, 295/70-22.5 rubber at about 100 psi, 10k front axle. I tow about 29,000 lbs, and the ride at the rear seems decent, but the front is rough. Wondering if I could use the 6k or 8k front springs, since there will never be any weight up front other than the truck weight. Better shocks maybe?

Tools, I would drop the front air pressure down. The best ride I had on my truck was when the front tires where set at 82. Only harshness was when I was on our ranch roads highway was the best. As for the weight, your gooseneck or fifth wheel will be forward of the axle a bit so any weight put on the rear will have some transfer to the front.

If I may say to all, and please do not take this the wrong way. We have MDT's with 22.5 commercial tires, the ride will be different than a LDT or HDT. Most of us having still the original tires will have H rated tires. They are harsh tires, they have a stiff sidewall. There is not much you can do to make them ride smoother, you can drop the air and it will help a bit. If you replace the tires with something in the F range, you will notice a big difference in ride. It will be smoother, softer sidewalls and provide a nicer ride. Softer sidewalls will effects performance and handling .... But then these are MDT's and not a Porsche :-)

For those that never drove HDT's, they are wonderful to drive, smoother and softer ride for the same tires, they do it via being heaver and have a longer wheel base.

I hope this helps. If it was me, would not change the front springs.

Pug thank you for the info. I did not realize freightliner built a special Chaises for SC. Mine is a m2 106. The bed and interior upgrade was done by body works of Indianapolis. Very nice looking bed with lot more storage than SC. I may be expecting to munch since I had a HDT and the ride was nice loaded or empty. Anyway it is what it is. May try some weight behind hitch and see what that dose but first going to let air out of tires from 125 down to 90 or so . thanks

heavyduty,

I have been following this thread closely.

From what it sounds like, both you and pug have a class 6...unless there is a wide range of what a 5 can be..

I am not sure what the difference is between yours and my class 5 but my truck is smoother than most one tons I have been in...that is, after I took the unbalanced tires off of it... and oddly enough, smoother that a class 8 I used to passenger in. You only feel the stiff suspension when you hit rough highway.

I will concede that the longer wheel base is better.. but I have rear air suspension, cab and seats as well as a larger sidewall on my tires so I am puzzled. I don't seem to have any ballast however, my McCall hitch is heavy and I do have a manufactured box...my rig came from Beaudry RV in Az..

Is my rig unusual compared to other freightliners ?

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

. Beagle co-pilots - Faffy and Lulu

Archived