Storage Unit--what is the best way to store clothing?

The Gapers

We are outdoor gear junkies and we have too much to fit in our rig. We will store off-season stuff in a storage unit. This will include bikes, skis, boots, coats, seasonal clothing, etc. What is the best way to store clothes? I'm thinking of using a plastic bin but I'm not sure if things need to "breathe".

We are outdoor gear junkies and we have too much to fit in our rig. We will store off-season stuff in a storage unit. This will include bikes, skis, boots, coats, seasonal clothing, etc. What is the best way to store clothes? I'm thinking of using a plastic bin but I'm not sure if things need to "breathe".

Many fulltimers have discovered a good way to store seasonal clothing is at a thrift store. Because who knows how traveling will change your size/taste/etc. Many of us would not want to wear now what we thought was best then. By stopping at an occasional thrift store in your travels you can change your wardrobe without guilt. Plus, you can buy souvenir t-shirts/scarves/etc also without guilt.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Storing clothes is no problem if it is a dry critter-free area, hang them on hangers and a rack and toss a plastic drop-cloth over them.

Damp area use a seal-able plastic clothing bag and toss a Damp-Rid bag in the bottom.

Critters, if they get to your stuff you'll not be happy. We used to keep several no-pest strips and multiple glue traps in our storage area before we started RVing and they were pretty effective at keeping the critter population low.

Boots and shoes would probably do well in a big storage tub, add a Damp-Rid if it is a moist area.

The rest of it, bag or use drop-cloths to keep the dust off and it will be more fun and less work to unpack.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

We carried all the things you plan to store. Once we found out we weren't using it as much as we thought, we donated it. We couldn't see spending storage fee money on things like that. Over a few months you could buy new.

However, to answer your questions, if you store clothing in a container make sure it is cleaned first or you'll see that stains will be impossible to get out. Don't store shoes/boots with clothing as they will have perspiration odors.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

We don't store much. When we were looking for our first fiver a number of years ago, we were in one with a salesman

and my wife commented there is not enough room for my outfits. The salesman looked at me and asked if I was retired. I responded

not quite yet. He stated that when you do all you need is a pair of jeans and a few tee shirts! He was correct.

We stored our extra clothes in plastic bins for 7 years, but it was climate controlled, indoors. Most jackets we hung, and we kept everything off the floor.

We didn't have any issues with it when we took them out of storage, other than some of them were out of style, and inappropriate for the climate at our new home.

I was surprised that even one of my swimsuits was fine :)

Sue and Paul- fulltimed 2009 -2015 with Dozer, our Gray Tuxedo cat

2012 DRV Mobile Suites 36TKSB4 pulled by a 2020 F350 Platinum

Our "vacation home" : 2018 Arctic Fox 1150 truck camper

RIP Dozey

http://soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com/

I just got rid of the clothes that were NOT outdoor clothes. I carry ten days worth of clothes covering summer to cold weather situations. Jackets are a couple of rain jackets, and some fleece and heavy duty jackets for cold conditions (duck hunting stuff). I also carry a orange vest that I use for bird hunting and hiking or photography at other times. I carry two sets of boots, uggs, and house slippers in addition to one set of sneakers.

So all my clothes now are outdoor clothes. The only problem is that my cold weather stuff is all CAMO due to duck hunting. Crossing into Canada while wearing CAMO gets you invited into the "little" room every time!!

Pretty much found that I didn't need to carry ski''s, snowshoes, etc since I was spending little time in snow country. Got rid of the backpacking gear, but I do have some packs that I can do a short overnight or use for hunting. The bikes travel with us year round.

It does help to have a place to drop off the guns after hunting season ends.

I feel your pain on having to pare down on outdoor gear, but it is easily done if you focus on multiple use of the clothes.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

• 3 weeks later...

Just a thought:

We started Full-Timing 12 years ago.

Storage units near our "home base" go for $ 50/month and I am sure will keep going up. We bought a "Reefer" trailer, like truckers haul produce/frozen goods/etc. on. The company I bought it from took the wheels and axles off if it. It cost us $900-delivered to my sisters place, where she has an ACREAGE. She liked the fact that it provided a wind-block for her horses. It is 53' long and 8-1/2 feet wide. My DW put in it everything she couldn't live without. I put in my VALUABLE STUFF. We come back to this area a couple of times per year and get out stuff, and put in stuff as needed.

A storage unit would have cost us $ 7,200 up to this point. The Refer cost us $ 900. Costs to this point:

Storage $ 7,200

Reefer Trailer $ 900

When we go back to a Stick and Brick -- instead of having a pile of receipts from the storage company, I will STILL have my refer trailer.

WIN, WIN

Traveling America in "God's Grace"

• 3 weeks later...

Our solution was to "rent" a bedroom from our daughter ;)

Our stuff is in a climate controlled environment and safely protected by our daughter.

Plus, as a grad student, we feel good about helping her with the rent :rolleyes:

Bob & Anne-Marie Williams

| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego bikes |

| Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime |

event.png

Archived