2017 Alaska

jags1fan

As most of you know, RV travel sometimes makes us change our plans and head a different direction. This has happened to us this year with our former plans of heading through Canada to Alaska, this summer. We were delayed leaving Crossville by more than 2 weeks and now, after only being in Canada 12 days we are back in the good ole' USA.

We entered Canada at Sault Ste Marie and stayed at Bill and Joan Richard's Beautiful KOA in SSM, Ontario. IF you are in that area, do not miss staying with them. The city of Sault Ste Marie, ON, has tons of places to visit. We already want to return there! On the 7th of June, we headed to Thunder Bay. Stopped in a small campground at Nipigon, ON (I posted to the HDT Campgrounds) and that night the temp dropped to 32 degrees. Our Heat Pump started tripping the breaker each time it tried to start. No problem....Furnace worked great!!!! LOL Anyway, we decided we would spend the scheduled 3+ nights in Thunder Bay ( another city with lots to do) and made contact with a service center just South of Duluth, MN to get our Heat Pump checked and fixed. So THANKFUL we have an extended full service warranty on it. It will be replaced.

Arrived Kerrick, MN on Sunday 12 June. Cute little campground on Oak Lake, although small the owner was right: we do fit. View of Oak Lake out our windows is GREAT, even though it's foggy, windy and 54. So, we are catching up on things that can only be handled in the USA.

NOW to the real news from us: With this additional delay, we have decided to not go to Alaska this Summer. We hope and are planning on going next Summer. We will travel through Canada with limited sightseeing in Canada along the way, and spend the majority of our time in Alaska. Can you say -- a whole month in 1 area of Alaska? YEP - another relaxed way to see as much as we can see. Although, in 2014 we did cover the majority of Anchorage, Fairbanks, Seward and Chicken, there is so much more to see. So, I put up this new thread. It sounds to me like Canada and Alaska will be filled with HDTers next year!!!! Should be a FUN TIME!!!!!

As soon as the work is done here, we are heading back to Canada for the Summer. I'm looking forward to a more relaxed, stay as long as we want, in more cities than we had planned for this year. We will slowly make our way from Thunder Bay West to Jasper and then Banff. Probably won't take the whole summer, so we are thinking we will cross to USA, somewhere in WA State and visit NW Washington..Whidbey Island, Olympia, etc. as time permits. We are free to do whatever until mid September when we plan to be in Denver.

So, as full time HDTers, Raymond and I try to always stay flexible and not get rattled with changes. This is a wonderful adventure and we are so thankful to be able to enjoy now and for as long as we can. Safe travels to everyone and God Bless You All.

Janet Church Lifetime Member #96033 RDBE #58
2005 Volvo 630
2008 Blue Smart
2006 Ruby Red Smart (1st Gen)
2009 DRV 36' Mobile Suites
NO PMs PLEASE. I might not see them for a long time! Contact me at: jags1fan@gmail.com

better half: G8r.Ray Raymond Church

My blog: ForksInTheRVRoad.com

Did you get to the bush plane museum in SSM ?

I dragged Flapper there once .

I wonder if the very low power in that part of Ontario caused your problem ,it is at the end of a very long transmission system.

I was told west of TB power comes from Manitoba.

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

Our plan A for next year this time has us in Alaska. We're hoping to tag up along the journey with you guys and others. But like you guys, if plan A doesn't pan out, the alphabet has 25 other letters.

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Ray and Janet, we are considering an Alaska Trek in 2017. We will talk to you to see what your plans are and see if it would be feasable to follow your wagon train. Flexibility is sometimes not enough,,,,we sometimes need to be fluid. Be safe. Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Like you, we are planning an Alaska trip in 2017. Also, like you, subject to change. Been up there several times by air, always wanted to make the drive. Our daughter lives NE of Fairbanks. Hoping to lead, follow or get the he?? out of the way of anyone else going that way next year. Probably leaving Florida the end of March making our way North as weather dictates.

Safe travels and see some of you in Hutchinson.

Todd & Beth

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

We too are planning for Alaska in 2017. Probably begin the slow process north after the ECR. In the RV fulltime world, the only constant is change. It looks like we may have quite a wagon train next year.

2016 Volvo VNL780 D13 I-Shift

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

• 2 weeks later...

Geez, you were within 10 miles of me! Was it Hoffman's that repaired your heat pump?

YES, MnTom, we are at Hoffman's - even still. LOL Weather got really dicey last weekend too. Glad it was only a few hours.

2005 Volvo 630
2008 Blue Smart
NO PMs PLEASE. I might not see them for a long time! Contact me at: jags1fan@gmail.com

Did you get to the bush plane museum in SSM ?

I dragged Flapper there once .

I wonder if the very low power in that part of Ontario caused your problem ,it is at the end of a very long transmission system.

I was told west of TB power comes from Manitoba.

Yes, HoneEagle, we visited the Bush Plane Museum, SSM Museum and Art Gallery. Lots to do there. We had no issues with electric at all.

2005 Volvo 630
2008 Blue Smart

From the early comments, it appears it's going to be a grand time going to and from Alaska next Summer! Look forward to a trip filled with friends along the way. Love the change from flexible to FLUID, Charlie. I commented that we were planning to return to Canada this year, but as we are on a 2 weeks wait list for service and waiting on Dometic AC replacement we have decided no Canada return for us this year. Instead, we are going to hang out and see more of Lake Superior area and a few hundred miles East of here along upper WI and some of Upper Penin Michigan. Then, we'll head West to be in Denver by 14 September.

2005 Volvo 630
2008 Blue Smart

Cathy and I also postponed our Alaska trip to 2017, when we can leave earlier and stay later.

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

If anyone needs support in Alaska, I am in Palmer and have room for large trailers and a shop big enough for an HDT if you need to do some maintenance.

Great offer, thank you.

Planning Nanook version 2.0

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

Archived