Living full-time in RV requires insurance on another unneeded vehicle?

Mcfly

My agent did not know about the Progressive exclusion that you cannot get coverage without a car in addition to your RV. When I mentioned it was told to get a golf cart or something to drive to the grocery store. Now I would think that is a bigger risk for accidents but I suppose less pricely for the insurance company at least for the vehicle.

Now that same policy quoted from FMCA who as an RV association knows RVs, told me that Progressive does not require another vehicle when I questioned them.

Is it all up to interpretation?

I do not have a lot in assets I am afraid of losing and very little anyone would want to steal. I have been told to get the 250,000/500,000 and an umbrella policy from a friend in the insurance field but the premiums on the 100,000/300,000 policy without the umbrella is already over $1,000 a year. How do you determine what you need.

I don't think an umbrella is required just that many of us have one. Umbrella's are generally extra protection for suits so you don;t lose all your assets. They only cost(for $2M) $30-$40/year. Sounds like your full time policy is higher than I would expect.

wow, I want your umbrella policy - my $2 mil costs $300 a year.

There are a variery of factors involved, for example, we have a jetski, which increased the premium

Sue and Paul- fulltimed 2009 -2015 with Dozer, our Gray Tuxedo cat

2012 DRV Mobile Suites 36TKSB4 pulled by a 2020 F350 Platinum

Our "vacation home" : 2018 Arctic Fox 1150 truck camper

RIP Dozey

http://soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com/

Now that same policy quoted from FMCA who as an RV association knows RVs, told me that Progressive does not require another vehicle when I questioned them.

I can only tell you our experience. In 2008 Progressive sold us a policy for our RV even though it was the only vehicle we owned. But, in reading the terms of the policy it clearly said they would not cover damage to the RV if it was the only vehicle we owned. So we cancelled that policy and bought one from Foremost that did not have that exclusion. Now, we all know things change so maybe Progressive no longer has that exclusion. But, if I bought a policy from them today I would sure read it to find out.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

One agent says there is an exclusion and another with RV experience says it does not. National Interstate has been recommended with good coverages by FMCA and others as well. I am just surprised they are all around $1000 a year with the biggest chunk being liability.

Anyone had experience with National Interstate.

It sounds to me like you DID NOT have a full-timers policy. We have ours with Progressive and we do have theft coverage. Our contents are covered just like they are in a house and "theft" is a covered peril. If you do not carry a full-timers policy, then no, things stolen from a vehicle are not covered under the auto/rv policy. The coverage would come from your homeowners policy.

If a full-timers policy is purchased you will have the coverage you need.

Another thing to mention is that everyone needs to ask questions, tell the agent what special items you have and want to make sure are covered. Agents are not mind readers and cannot know what you have in your rv. Jewelry, artwork, cameras, expensive cellphones, computer equipment etc. Having worked in the insurance industry for 30 years , many people hide these facts because they think it will cost them more for their policy if the agent knows what they have. That may be true, but then you have coverage that you wouldn't otherwise have.

Pat DeJong

Archived