National HDT Rally

sdixon747

Norm, this organization is very high on talent and on sharing, that's why it attracts folks like me and others. I had a conversation the other day with another individual who is just beginning a "journey" of getting his HDT and getting into nuances of what to do next. I told him it's a process that takes time as I started eight years ago as an idiot and now I am considered an "expert". He quickly acknowledged that he was at the idiot level. I knew instantly that he will do well, he doesn't take himself too seriously and is asking questions. As you noticed I don't take myself too seriously too (just to relax you guys into asking a lots of questions).

Several decades ago I was a member of another organization, EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) which was very high on talent and on sharing. They turned me from an idiot into an expert in the span of three years, which allowed me to purchase a 40 years old aircraft and in those three years rebuild it and fly it.

This is why I am part of this group, they have the same spirit.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The National HDT Rally seems like the right place to be for me then. I have a lot to learn and a lot of questions to ask. And I hope to be able to shed some light on some of the things I have figured out so that it will help others down an easier trail. I am still at the idiot stage right now myself and hope to become a novice after the rally. 11 days and counting down and we the DW and I will be on our way.

Norm & Rhonda

2013 Volvo VNL780 500HP D-13 12 Speed iShift Trans

2008 Jayco F 36 V 40' Toy Hauler

2016 Smart Fortwo Prime

2014 Harley-Davidson CVO Limited

We all have things to learn, no matter how long we have been around. I learn something new about trucks every day. The amount of expertise in this group sometimes astounds me..... :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Watching this and the Facebook page to see when the early ones arrive. On call this weekend and have events for the next two weekends. Don't have my day off yet the week of the Rally. Hope the weather will cooperate with a motorcycle trip for the night. Will have to wait and see.

Rod

As far as I know, Bob and Sue Guthrie are already there for the Good Sams rally. Gail and I will get there on the 29th. Several people have emailed me saying they are coming early, but off hand I don't remember who or when.

The Chicken Coop is going to be there early. The plan is to arrive Thursday, October 6, 2016. My DH is a retired broadcast engineer so he agrees with the saying "Must respect engineer!". :)

Travels of the Lipson Chicken Coop

Ed and Patti Lipson
with their 4 parrots

Full timing in a
2008 Powerhouse Coach
Enclosed Trailer
2016 Smart Car

We all have things to learn, no matter how long we have been around. I learn something new about trucks every day. The amount of expertise in this group sometimes astounds me..... :)

X2

Attended our first rally in 2009. Been back every year since. While attendance at this point is mostly social and offering to share our experiences, we always learn something new about the truck and always seem to find something that we just don't know how we lived without prior to seeing it at the Rally.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Coming in early, or staying late is not a problem. The parking fees get paid directly to the office. Quite a few people will be coming early and it has become known as the "Pre-Rally Rally". We have a lot of fun then. Keep in mind that there is a Good Sams rally going on until the 2nd. After that, we should have full access to the RV park. If you arrive prior to the 2nd, there are plenty of Water / Electric sites available on the Fairgrounds. There is an event going on this weekend, so the gazebo sites will not be available, so Gail and I will be parked on the west side just west of the 4H building. We will be there Friday the 30th.

Steve & Gail

2000 Volvo VNL660 Autoshift Detroit 60 12.7 "Semi Crazy"

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

2018 Space Craft 48' TT "The Nut House"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

Volvo w SpaceCraft 1024.jpg

For all those of you arriving early for the Pre-Rally Rally, and for rest of us getting there on the weekend of the National Rally, please look at this link to familiarize yourself with the parking of your rig. Mark Bruss has done a great job in helping everyone understand the parking layout and what the boundaries are for your space. This chart also shows you which spaces are saved for Rally purposes.

For those with lots of toys, or those needing more space, the two rows of parking nearest the north fence (farthest away from the buildings) can be used if you need to spill over your space. But, BE AWARE, the park may charge you for the extra space you take up. To my knowledge, they haven't in the past, but you never know.

Thanks for paying attention to the parking layout. We'd hate to have to ask you to move your rig once set up, but we will in order to accommodate all the rigs in this Rally, being the largest attended one we've had.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

The campground office will accept mail for you if you let them know. It has to be Monday to Friday though.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Good news. Trey and Susan Selman will be doing RVSEF Weighing at the Rally. Information is at the HDT Rally site RV Weighing. Schedule early.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Gail and I just got in to Hutch. Gregg Shields will be here in a couple of hours. I am declaring the Pre-Rally Rally has begun. For those arriving this weekend, the Good Sams rally is smaller this year than in years past, so there are plenty of full hookup sites open on the west side. We are in site 75.

Steve & Gail

2000 Volvo VNL660 Autoshift Detroit 60 12.7 "Semi Crazy"

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

2018 Space Craft 48' TT "The Nut House"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

Volvo w SpaceCraft 1024.jpg

Leaving later than planned here--the rain tally for the last 3 days is over 13", with over 9 in about 8 hours Wednesday night. My parents had some water in their basement, so all of the furniture was rearranged and carpet pulled up yesterday. Fortunately, where I'm at wasn't quite so bad, though the water level was up to the edge of my front rims for most of the day. Needless to say, I didn't get to crawl under and take care of a few items on the to-do list.

Don't let that Shields guy party too hard before I get there--probably pulling in sometime late Monday or Tuesday.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Does the Fairground RV Park have fire Pits or do they allow campfires at the sites? Wondering if I should bring firewood or leave it at home. My DW loves to have a campfire at night.

Thank You,

Norm & Rhonda Taft

Norm & Rhonda

2016 Smart Fortwo Prime

Steve, we are sitting in Chanute having work done on the Hitchhiker but they are saying Wednesday or Thursday it will be done then we are coming right over. Hope to see you by Friday at the latest.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

No fire puts and no fire wood from what I remember. I wouldn't bring wood from another area. In fear of spreading a tree destroying bug. Not that many trees in Kansas already.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Just a question to all in the group,

I am a member at Extreme Racing, a indoor asphalt go cart track, the carts are electric and quite fast.

here is a link to them.

http://xtremewichita.com/about-us

Who would be interested in a trip to race, I suggest the super grand prix, it's 4 race package with breaks in between the races, so we can rest and discuss race strategies. The cost for this is 57.00 per person, but it is a bargain for sure.

Any thoughts on this outing??

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

No fire pits. Thank you for the information. Less work for me.

As for the Cart Racing I would be interested, sounds like a fun outing to me.

Norm

Norm & Rhonda

2016 Smart Fortwo Prime

If you guys go to Wichita you should consider a trip to http://www.theyardwichita.com/ and, Nifty Nut https://www.visitwichita.com/listing/nifty-nut-house/26015/

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

We've stopped in Eastern Ok be in tomorrow afternoon. Got passed by the Myricks in Arkansas and passed the Walkers and Kahanamokus as we entered Oklahoma. The Indians are coming for the pow wow.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Archived