National HDT Rally

sdixon747

I haven't even heard what the project is going to be. I'm sure David (Nuke-E) will post a synopsis and parts list soon. It was fun doing the one at the ECR and I'm looking forward to this one too.

Steve & Gail

2000 Volvo VNL660 Autoshift Detroit 60 12.7 "Semi Crazy"

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

2018 Space Craft 48' TT "The Nut House"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

Volvo w SpaceCraft 1024.jpg

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm open to suggestions for the project. I want to keep it something that anyone can join in on, without having participated in the last one, but still build on what was done previously. The goal is benefit as many of you as possible, and if there's something you wish your RV could do, you're probably not the only one.

One of the ideas I'd been kicking around was going through setting up a Raspberry Pi (which is a small single-board computer) as a wireless gateway, router, and media server (as in streaming video/music/photos to your smart TV/computer/tablet). Depending on where there's the most interest, we could also go through some basics of building a user interface and data logger to go with the tank monitor from the ECR. On the simpler side of things, I'm considering an extension of the previous project (tank monitor). Basically going through and modifying what was a "read only" project to do some basic tasks via relay output--e.g. shutting off pump power when the freshwater tank is empty, implementing a push-button (physical or virtual) tank fill routine, etc.

Based on what I saw at the ECR, I'm leaning towards distributing a set of files ahead of time, and spending more time working in software than hardware--everyone seemed to get the wiring end of things pretty easily. Start with a very simple program, and add functionality in several steps during the seminar. Given how big the rally looks to be, I'd also be interested in a few volunteers to help during the seminar, to help get everyone through the project before happy hour--if you'd be interested, send me a message.

On another subject (but still dealing with the rally), I'm also putting together plans for the cooking seminar. Especially those of you who attended last year, let me know if there's something you'd like to see more or less of. More sous vide stuff? How to microwave a hot dog? Shopping, organization, and meal planning? Nutrition stuff? Cooking on an energy budget? Let me know via PM/e-mail. If there's enough discussion, I'll start another thread to keep this one from getting too sidetracked.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Really sorry I couldn't swing the week off to attend. Still might come for a quick visit depending on the weather, the completion of my motorcycle lift project and getting the door done.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

If you do the raspberry pi can you video it for those of us that can't attend?

I'm sure we can figure something out. Maybe I can stream it via Google Hangouts if you wanted to watch live. That didn't work so well from Vienna for the cooking seminar, but data caps won't come into play at the fairgrounds. If no one else speaks up, I'm going to lean toward an RPi project--and start with the most basic stuff, like loading the operating system, connecting to a network, etc.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

I would like to see the videos for the RPi available for download if possible. Maybe we can start a section on the resource giude for video files to live. Or just YouTube with a link in the resource guide.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

I would like to see the videos for the RPi available for download if possible. Maybe we can start a section on the resource giude for video files to live. Or just YouTube with a link in the resource guide.

Sounds like a great idea.

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

The RPi sounds great except everyone that participates would need a keyboard and monitor to program the Pi, I know the RPi can be run headless. David could give a link to a pre-programmed OS and just concentrate on the hardware side of the project. BTW, what is the project?! Anyway David, I'm here to help in any way I can. Just let me know.

Steve & Gail

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

Might be a dumb question... But, if a guy wanted to just bring his HDT up to the Rally for a night or two and sleep in the truck. Are there any campground showers and how soon does he need to make up his mind? I am tossing around the idea of going to my first one and the wife is already out. So, I was thinking of trying to make a day or two in the Volvo and leave my 5th at home. I thought it might be a fun trip if I can get the truck wrapped up and clear my schedule. Jeremy

Might be a dumb question... But, if a guy wanted to just bring his HDT up to the Rally for a night or two and sleep in the truck. Are there any campground showers and how soon does he need to make up his mind? I am tossing around the idea of going to my first one and the wife is already out. So, I was thinking of trying to make a day or two in the Volvo and leave my 5th at home. I thought it might be a fun trip if I can get the truck wrapped up and clear my schedule. Jeremy

No problem doing that. There is a bathouse at the campground. A little rough, but functional, at least the last time I was in it. There is always someone in a tnet, camping in a truck, etc. So that is all pretty routine. Hope you can make it!!! You can pay when you come in.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I'm open to suggestions for the project. I want to keep it something that anyone can join in on, without having participated in the last one, but still build on what was done previously. The goal is benefit as many of you as possible, and if there's something you wish your RV could do, you're probably not the only one.

One of the ideas I'd been kicking around was going through setting up a Raspberry Pi (which is a small single-board computer) as a wireless gateway, router, and media server (as in streaming video/music/photos to your smart TV/computer/tablet). Depending on where there's the most interest, we could also go through some basics of building a user interface and data logger to go with the tank monitor from the ECR. On the simpler side of things, I'm considering an extension of the previous project (tank monitor). Basically going through and modifying what was a "read only" project to do some basic tasks via relay output--e.g. shutting off pump power when the freshwater tank is empty, implementing a push-button (physical or virtual) tank fill routine, etc.

Based on what I saw at the ECR, I'm leaning towards distributing a set of files ahead of time, and spending more time working in software than hardware--everyone seemed to get the wiring end of things pretty easily. Start with a very simple program, and add functionality in several steps during the seminar. Given how big the rally looks to be, I'd also be interested in a few volunteers to help during the seminar, to help get everyone through the project before happy hour--if you'd be interested, send me a message.

On another subject (but still dealing with the rally), I'm also putting together plans for the cooking seminar. Especially those of you who attended last year, let me know if there's something you'd like to see more or less of. More sous vide stuff? How to microwave a hot dog? Shopping, organization, and meal planning? Nutrition stuff? Cooking on an energy budget? Let me know via PM/e-mail. If there's enough discussion, I'll start another thread to keep this one from getting too sidetracked.

Interested in a repeat of the tank monitoring project. There were some other comments on the ECR thread that were also hoping for a repeat at the national rally. I didn't participate in the ECR project but now wish I had since I now have a tank on the truck that I'd like to monitor. (pretty please!).

Ed & Teresa Haagsma

2016 New Horizons 45' custom. New Horizons ambassador

2009 Volvo 780 "Remington". Converted by RVHaulers

2015 Smart "Remora"

The RPi sounds great except everyone that participates would need a keyboard and monitor to program the Pi, I know the RPi can be run headless. David could give a link to a pre-programmed OS and just concentrate on the hardware side of the project. BTW, what is the project?! Anyway David, I'm here to help in any way I can. Just let me know.

I had in my mind a USB-based web interface, but that's the BeagleBone Black that has that. It's a really nice board, but there's a lot more help out there to do things with a RPi. I need to see if I can come up with an easy way to make something work there. I should have expected it, but the comments here and direct to me have been almost perfectly split between more stuff along the lines of the tank monitor, and setting up a Pi.

What I'd like to do is introduce controlling other (presumably 12V) devices--adding some functionality to the tank monitor idea, such as shutting off the water pump when the tank is empty, or controlling a solenoid valve to fill the tanks. That can be done with just the Particle Photon board and the relay board that it plugs into. For those that weren't at the ECR, I'd be glad to find a time early in the week to get everyone set up with their boards and build the tank monitor, so that they're up to speed during the seminar.

If we're successful in getting everyone ready ahead of time, we should be able to go through controlling a relay, and through some code examples, and still have time for a brief introduction with a Raspberry Pi. I'll monkey around with setting up a Pi headless tomorrow and post back with a concrete plan.

Interested in a repeat of the tank monitoring project. There were some other comments on the ECR thread that were also hoping for a repeat at the national rally. I didn't participate in the ECR project but now wish I had since I now have a tank on the truck that I'd like to monitor. (pretty please!).

See above--even in the absence of anything formal, I'd be glad to help get you going!

The Rpi sounds interesting, especially if we could interface it to the Particle Photon to pull the tank data and display that information via web page or something.

I have been perusing the ECR Rally notes regarding the Photon Project, and have it all setup (without the Pressure Sensors so far - need to pick your brains on this section). I expanded on Chet's code and also added in an indoor temp sensor, an outdoor temp sensor, and a yet to be determined (indoor or outdoor) all in one temp, humidity and dew point sensor. I have also incorporated relays for fresh pump and a sounder for black and grey getting full with the all important silence button.

I can also assist if needed.

Steven

Steven

Is it to late for my brother in law and sister to register for the rally?

A note from Steve Dixon concerning late reservations....

"Just a reminder, the National HDT Rally is just over a month away. If you haven't sent in your registration, it's not too late. If you plan on coming but have not sent in your registration, please PM or email me. If you are going to mail in your registration, I will need to receive it by September 16th as we will be leaving shortly after that. If you can't get it to me by then, you can still come and pay cash at the rally."

The only thing you may miss as a late arrival is the current year T Shirt. Well, unless you arrive on the last day and then you miss all the excellent information, Happy Hours, multiple laps around the venue to see who is doing what to which truck and a few other sights sounds and sensations.

Still holding out hope that I can do an overnight visit. It's only a 6+ hour trip and two tank-fills on the motorcycle. Leave at 5, get there by noon and leave at noonish the next day to be back home and ready to work the next day. Now to find out what day they are not having me work that week.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

Unfortunately, the wife and I will not be able to make it to this year's National Rally. We are planning on doing ECR in April. Hope to see you there.

Dan & Bree

2010 Freightliner Cascadia 125, DD15, 455hp, UltraShift (Yetti, For Sale)

2015 Grand Design Reflection 308BHTS Travel Trailer (For Sale)

Hi Dan

It's never too late to register for the rally. It is, however, too late to mail it in. If your brother in law, or anyone else, that wants to come to the rally, please fill out the registration form and email it to me. The email address is on the registration form. That helps me out a lot getting an accurate count for ordering catering etc. Plan on paying cash on arrival as we have no way of dealing with checks or credit cards there.

Steve

Steve & Gail

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

I'm really hoping I can come join this rally, but right now that week of work is looking a little tough to take time off for. I also know my wife can't make it, so it would just be me. I'm thinking maybe I could come up and at least be there for Sun-Wed for all the events and activities and maybe work Thurs/Fri from a hotel before I go back home the next weekend.

I really want to come to see all the HDT's and ask questions to the owners, attend the seminars that are being given, and just learn a lot more about the different setups. My wife and I are looking to become full timers with an HDT & 5th wheel. Our setup wouldn't include a smart car but rather motorcycles we'd bring with us. Maybe on the back of the rig, maybe in a toy hauler, haven't decided yet.

I'd be the one probably camping in a tent, especially if I just rode my motorcycle to the event.

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

Henry, your post reminded me of one of my guys that I had out at the Hanford site on a project. He was arguing with the structural engineer (Chinese engineer that refused to admit he made a mistake). He got mad in the end and said to my checker "Must respect engineer!". My guy looked him in the eye and replied "Engineer must earn respect"

You have earned the respect you deserve.

But expect me to question you about somethings at Hutch :)

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Watching this and the Facebook page to see when the early ones arrive. On call this weekend and have events for the next two weekends. Don't have my day off yet the week of the Rally. Hope the weather will cooperate with a motorcycle trip for the night. Will have to wait and see.

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

As far as I know, Bob and Sue Guthrie are already there for the Good Sams rally. Gail and I will get there on the 29th. Several people have emailed me saying they are coming early, but off hand I don't remember who or when.

Steve & Gail

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

Henry,

I'm with you getting very excited about attending our first HDT Rally. Also have anxiety along with excitement as this will be our first long trip with our new under construction RV Hauler.

I am not even close to being an engineer, but would very much like to be a fly on the wall as you have your discussions. I do my best learning from listening and watching.

I also look forward to seeing and getting all the different ideas that everyone has for the functionality of their trucks.

And of course I look forward to showing off my truck and the ideas I have. Including giving rides and letting those that are contemplating getting a Class 8 Truck the opportunity to drive one. I drove truck for 30 plus years without ever driving an automatic. It really is like they say, just like driving a standard Dually Pickup.

See you all there

Norm & Rhonda

Norm & Rhonda

2013 Volvo VNL780 500HP D-13 12 Speed iShift Trans

2008 Jayco F 36 V 40' Toy Hauler

2016 Smart Fortwo Prime

2014 Harley-Davidson CVO Limited

Archived