National HDT Rally

sdixon747

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a question to all in the group,

I am a member at Extreme Racing, a indoor asphalt go cart track, the carts are electric and quite fast.

here is a link to them.

http://xtremewichita.com/about-us

Who would be interested in a trip to race, I suggest the super grand prix, it's 4 race package with breaks in between the races, so we can rest and discuss race strategies. The cost for this is 57.00 per person, but it is a bargain for sure.

Any thoughts on this outing??

Roger

If I can get down low enough to get into the car, I'm all for it!

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

So if things continue at work this week on schedule, I should be able to take next week off and attend the rally. I'd love to come check out all the HDT's, see the different setups and rigs and ask questions, plus attend some of the seminars that are going on.

My question is what is the tent camping like there? Is there a dedicated area for tents or are you just setting up where an RV would normally park? Is the same rate charged for a tent for a few days?

I'll hope this week continues well and I can leave out on Sat to head that way.

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

Filling up on my way at $1.79/gallon. Of all places, just 15 miles from downtown St. Louis!

It's not Buc-ees, but easy enough to squeeze in, turn around, and fill the other side. Definitely a gamble though--no satellite or street view to go on.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

I am a member at Extreme Racing, a indoor asphalt go cart track, the carts are electric and quite fast.

here is a link to them.

Who would be interested in a trip to race, I suggest the super grand prix, it's 4 race package with breaks in between the races, so we can rest and discuss race strategies. The cost for this is 57.00 per person, but it is a bargain for sure.

Roger

I'd be up for it. We should be in Hutch for 2 weeks starting on Oct 9th.

Todd E.

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

So if things continue at work this week on schedule, I should be able to take next week off and attend the rally. I'd love to come check out all the HDT's, see the different setups and rigs and ask questions, plus attend some of the seminars that are going on.

My question is what is the tent camping like there? Is there a dedicated area for tents or are you just setting up where an RV would normally park? Is the same rate charged for a tent for a few days?

I'll hope this week continues well and I can leave out on Sat to head that way.

No specific sites just for a Tent. It's Kansas so plan on it being Windy. I used a tent on my first visit to the Rally. Rode my motorcycle that year. Had a great time. Don't remember how much they charged I paid when I arrived and when I left I felt I certainly got my moneys worth. Be sure to bring cash, Steve hasn't updated the wallet to accept any other forms of payment.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Good news. Trey and Susan Selman will be doing RVSEF Weighing at the Rally. Information is at the HDT Rally site RV Weighing. Schedule early.

If the time windows on the form(link in Mark's Message above do not coincide with your anticipated arrival, just email us with the day and time you expect to arrive and if possible, we will work it out.

We do need to know when you will arrive because if we do not have any appointments scheduled we may not be available.

(Email link is in the link Mark posted above)

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

I have a question. The National Rally will be the first actual trip we will be taking in our HDT. I have been a professional driver for 30+ years. My truck has a new vin plate taking it out of the commercial sector and putting it into the private sector as a special construction RV in the eyes of the Missouri State Hwy Petrol. I do know Kansas is one of those states that I view as a state that is more on the strict side of commercial laws. with that said, my question is for those of you on this form. Do you drive past the scales and ports of entry or do you go though them?

Norm & Rhonda

2013 Volvo VNL780 500HP D-13 12 Speed iShift Trans

2008 Jayco F 36 V 40' Toy Hauler

2016 Smart Fortwo Prime

2014 Harley-Davidson CVO Limited

No specific sites just for a Tent. It's Kansas so plan on it being Windy. I used a tent on my first visit to the Rally. Rode my motorcycle that year. Had a great time. Don't remember how much they charged I paid when I arrived and when I left I felt I certainly got my moneys worth. Be sure to bring cash, Steve hasn't updated the wallet to accept any other forms of payment.

Rod

Thanks, I think I plan on riding my BMW GS there. Not exactly an exciting ride from GA, but the weather is looking pretty nice this time of year!

here is a link to them.

Roger

I'd definitely be interested in this!

I have a question. The National Rally will be the first actual trip we will be taking in our HDT. I have been a professional driver for 30+ years. My truck has a new vin plate taking it out of the commercial sector and putting it into the private sector as a special construction RV in the eyes of the Missouri State Hwy Petrol. I do know Kansas is one of those states that I view as a state that is more on the strict side of commercial laws. with that said, my question is for those of you on this form. Do you drive past the scales and ports of entry or do you go though them?

As long as you registered as a noncommercial vehicle then skip the scales and ports of entry.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

That's a pretty common question. Resoundingly the answer is DO NOT STOP. Many of us have our HDTs registered as RVs/Motorhomes and as such are not required to stop at weigh stations. Haven't heard of anyone getting any serious hassles from the officials and personally I've never been even questioned. I've even heard some suggest that stopping may give them ideas they don't need...

Ed & Teresa Haagsma

2016 New Horizons 45' custom. New Horizons ambassador

2009 Volvo 780 "Remington". Converted by RVHaulers

2015 Smart "Remora"

Thank you guys for the quick response. I know that passing will be against my every instink. That is the answer I was looking for. It's going to be hard but I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks. See you all in about 4 days 11 hours an 43 minutes and 43 seconds. Not that I'm counting or anything like that.

Norm & Rhonda

2016 Smart Fortwo Prime

Thank you guys for the quick response. I know that passing will be against my every instink. That is the answer I was looking for. It's going to be hard but I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks. See you all in about 4 days 11 hours an 43 minutes and 43 seconds. Not that I'm counting or anything like that.

Howdy Norm,

Well baring unforeseen circumstances, I can usually call the day I'll arrive at a destination on a cross country trip and can most times arrive within a hour or two of when I figured I'd get there but minutes and seconds I haven't gotten to that point yet, probably cuss I drive an ole Freighshaker and I am working on perfecting the art of becoming a Gentleman of Leisure. :lol:

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Howdy Norm,

Well baring unforeseen circumstances, I can usually call the day I'll arrive at a destination on a cross country trip and can most times arrive within a hour or two of when I figured I'd get there but minutes and seconds I haven't gotten to that point yet, probably cuss I drive an ole Freighshaker and I am working on perfecting the art of becoming a Gentleman of Leisure. :lol:

Dave

Hey Dave,

I'm not saying I did or didn't. But I may or may not have just guessed at the exact time I will arrive. I need to swing though Broken Arrow Oklahoma (Tulsa). Apparently Smart doesn't have a paint code for the Hazel Brown (Metallic). The Cover that goes over the Boat Hook in the front bumper fell out and was lost. They have ordered the new cover but they can't paint it to match my car because they have no paint code for this color. They also have told me that this is a common problem with them falling out. So I am going to go by there Saturday morning so they can take a picture of my car with a special camera that will give them a paint code. It's only a couple hundred miles out of the way.

As for the being a gentleman of leisure, I relate to your problem. I am very bad at pushing till I get to my destination. I am also new at the leisure thing and have so much to learn.

Now for the ole Freightshaker, I have had more then my share of miles in those ole girls and can say nothing bad about them. But if I would have known and gave Volvos a chance when I was doing this for a paycheck I might still be doing it for a paycheck. They tried to force me into one but I refused to give up my Pete. Just a testiment of how dumb a truck driver can be.

But now I look forward to meeting all of you so that you can teach me all about everything I don't know. I am very anxious for all the seminars and lots of fellowship with all my new friends.

Norm

Norm & Rhonda

2016 Smart Fortwo Prime

Steve and Gail thinking about coming for part of the show i will give ya a call Dirt

97 9200 cornbinder super 10 M11E cummins 1350 ftlbs
81 CJ7 jeep
2000 36ft nuwa king dome onan 6500LP gen/remote start
94 sport Nautique
2007 dyna wide glide 6 speed
N7UVW
2007 30ft work&play-LK-- toy hauler by forest river

2006 Alfa toyhouse 40 ft

2010 42kz Escalade toyhauler

Norm, I know it is going to be hard, driving by the scalehouse, but DO IT. I've been driving by them for 14 years of fulltime RVing with my truck(s). Never been stopped yet. Make sure you have the appropriate paperwork and "drive on".

The only time I stop is if flagged in by a PERSON (not a sign), or on temporary DOT setups where you are typically flagged in.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Hey Dave,

I'm not saying I did or didn't. But I may or may not have just guessed at the exact time I will arrive. I need to swing though Broken Arrow Oklahoma (Tulsa). Apparently Smart doesn't have a paint code for the Hazel Brown (Metallic). The Cover that goes over the Boat Hook in the front bumper fell out and was lost. They have ordered the new cover but they can't paint it to match my car because they have no paint code for this color. They also have told me that this is a common problem with them falling out. So I am going to go by there Saturday morning so they can take a picture of my car with a special camera that will give them a paint code. It's only a couple hundred miles out of the way.

As for the being a gentleman of leisure, I relate to your problem. I am very bad at pushing till I get to my destination. I am also new at the leisure thing and have so much to learn.

Now for the ole Freightshaker, I have had more then my share of miles in those ole girls and can say nothing bad about them. But if I would have known and gave Volvos a chance when I was doing this for a paycheck I might still be doing it for a paycheck. They tried to force me into one but I refused to give up my Pete. Just a testiment of how dumb a truck driver can be.

But now I look forward to meeting all of you so that you can teach me all about everything I don't know. I am very anxious for all the seminars and lots of fellowship with all my new friends.

Norm

Norm

I have a 2014 Volvo 630. These thinks sure are pretty nice rides. Easy to forget there is a trailer behind.

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

Norm, I know it is going to be hard, driving by the scalehouse, but DO IT. I've been driving by them for 14 years of fulltime RVing with my truck(s). Never been stopped yet. Make sure you have the appropriate paperwork and "drive on".

The only time I stop is if flagged in by a PERSON (not a sign), or on temporary DOT setups where you are typically flagged in.

Jack

Other than insurance card and registration what other appropriate paperwork do I need?

Dan

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

The first year we pulled into two weigh stations and where told we had no business there. The paperwork we carried was a copy of the South Dakota statutes that defined that we did not need a CDL to drive our HDT with an RV attached.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Jack

Other than insurance card and registration what other appropriate paperwork do I need?

Dan

I keep a copy of the documents from my state that explain what the proper licensing that is needed for using a HDT as a recreational vehicle.

Go to the Heavy Haulers RV Resource Guide. Under "The HDT Decision" print out copies of the documents for your state under the State Listing of Drivers Licenses and Registrations. I have everything but my DL in a 3 ring binder. So if/when I am sitting on the side of the road, pleading my case, I have everything I needed in 1 spot to explain that I am legal.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Archived