M2 losing air

hemsteadc

I think I'll be doing this. Any special precautions in removing? (other than no air pressure in the tank) What solvent? Toothbrush to clean it?

Nothing special. A toothbrush will be too big to get into the small opening. I just used a penetrating solvent like liquid wrench, sprayed and worked the valve til it was clean. Not hard. By the way, I don't have a dryer on my 2005 either. I don't think they used them unless you have air brakes.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pug, we have a 2015 with the Cummings ISL 9. I have been told that the high pressure release of air after we park it is the system purging air and moisture from the tank. Also a pump runs for a while and I have been told that is the system clearing the DEF back to the its tank. You obviously have a lot of knowledge about Sportchassis so I'm wondering is what I'm being told accurate? I don't want to screw something up because of lack of knowledge.

Thank in advance, Dick

Hello Dick,

Does your truck have air brakes ? There is no auto release of air on these trucks after parking and auto purging of the tanks. If you have air brakes, when you pull the tractor brake air knob, you will a blast of air releasing.

The 2015 models have DEF system and the doser pump runs for a little while after stopping the engine, that is normal, when you do not hear it after stopping the engine, that is a problem and there is a fuse specifically for it.

I do have to say that SportChassis dealers are not very knowledgable about the trucks they sell. I have called my dealer on the carpet many times already, factory has told them I am right, they are wrong.

Cheers,

Roberto

Roberto, we do not have air brakes, but we have air bags front and rear, a Trailer Saver hitch and air seats. Could have something to do with the purge. In our drive it blows the gravel around when it purges. There is what looks like about a 5 gallon air tank about mid ships directly above where it blows the gravel around.

Dick

Dick,

I know which truck you have, I test drove it when it was a PowersRV in Salinas. Very nice truck, was temped to purchase it but it did not have the hydraulic/air option installed which I needed for trailers that use air brakes. Congrats !!

There was a lot of extra work done to that truck that was not done at the factory. The front Firestone air supplement and its setup was done by a shop in Salinas and some other stuff was done also. The original owner had that truck customized to no end along with the special trailer that went with it. If you have a chance, look under the truck at the air tank (under the bed area before the axle) and see if you see something like in this link http://www.plazafleetparts.com/uploads/2/1/9/0/2190100/dv-2_drain_valve_installation.pdf . If so, you have an automatic purge valve the original owner had added so he would not have to manually drain the tank when needed.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Roberto

As promised, all Freightliner M2 / SportChassis owners should have:

http://www.dtnaecomponents.com/index.html

If follow through the screens, goto this area:

http://www.dtnaecomponents.com/Freightliner/BusinessClassM2/SelectEPA2007OrEPA2010M2106.htm

Tons of materials on our trucks for everyone. SportChassis hauler models and pickup models are all exactly the same expect for the bed and possibly the wheels.

Hope that helps everyone !

Cheers,

Roberto

Forget 60 something ! Do it while 50 something ! Several friend already passed away after several days of retirement and one friend passed away 3 days before retirement. I have health issues that require close monitoring and screw it, we are living our dreams and having a great time NOW !

We have an IH 4700LP we bought from an SKP that owned a lot in Jojoba Hills. He was suffering from respiratory issues and when we met him, he was on a concentrator 100% of the time. They were selling everything as his health no longer allowed for the lifestyle. We saw in the Escapee magazine some time later that he had passed away. We are focused on continuing his/their dream. He sold us a good truck at a fair price and we think of him often. Unfortunately we did not get to know him/them well. But we shared a passion and we ARE 50-somethings, well my DW just turned 60, but we're planning trips much more frequently and enjoying seeing this country and looking forward to more.

If we had a way of earning while traveling(which we have been looking for such opportunities for the past 3-4 years) we would certainly use that to further our travels.

Marcel

I took my dads advice and retired at 56, the same age he did. After having prostate cancer at 47 I finally figured out we don't know what the good Lord has planned for us. We did the math several times and figured out the only reason to work longer is so the kids would inherit more when we leave this earth. Not a good reason to keep working and we have enjoyed life first sailing for 10 years and now RVing. Like the saying goes no one ever says "I wish I had worked longer" on their death bed.

Forget 60 something ! Do it while 50 something !

I retired at 55. Most aren't as fortunate and must work into their 60s. Musicians have to work until they drop. 60s is really pushing it for staying healthy enough to pursue this lifestyle. It's hard work!

Now I gotta wriggle under that truck and remove that stupid purge valve.

It's not coming off easily. Do you remove the pipe nipple from the tank, or just the valve body from the nipple? Also, the unit is held together with 4 screws. Could I remove those and not ruin it? Or can I do a reasonable cleaning job in place, perhaps forcing solvent in there like with a turkey baster?

I typically remove it from the tank and clean in the shop, much easier. The first time removing them when factory installed is hard, they are typically installed with sealant/thread lock on the threads. When you are ready to reinstall, wrap the threads in Teflon tape or pipe sealant, otherwise it will leak air around the threads.

I stock a couple extra valves so I can just replace them and clean them later. Blow off valves run around 15.00 or less.

There should be no pipe to remove. The tank drain should be at the bottom of the tank with a slight downward angle. Looks like one the following:

image_zps7s4uk2tn.jpeg

image_zps5lvexgah.jpeg

If you something else, please post a picture or send me a picture.

Those look like some type of Auto-drain. As liquid (oil or water) collect in the housing, a float rises, until the drain opens, and fluid evacuates. If you're OK working on your back, I'd just remove the 4 bolts holding the halves together. This will give access to the working parts. Otherwise, it doesn't matter if the nipple comes or not. Nothing in there to work on.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Archived