M2 losing air

hemsteadc

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is where one of these works great- http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TRJA8M/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1JOY56WRER6SQ&coliid=IGTJT29KVVYV9

Having the small leaks that aren't strong enough to produce a bubble, or to hear are tough to find.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Maybe borrow an air-leak detector from one of the folks in the HDT forum if you are near someone that has one?

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

New to the forumn..I have a 08 m2 with a 8.3 cummins. Had a severe air leak on the automatic bleed valve while in Florida this past winter. The compressor work hard and cycled on and off a lot. Finally pulled these two automatic bleed valves and replaced with manual pull. Local diesel shop said this is what the big boys use. Just pull the cable once a day and bleed. Cost is $15 each. The system does bleed down over 4-5 days. Noticed the rear air bags still up. Don't know where the air gauge taps into the system.

Not all years did M2 have air dryers, it was an option. Do not understand why on a truck with air brakes they made that an option but then logic is always a mystery with when it comes to profits ! If you have air on the truck, think about adding a dryer, important and very useful item. They can be added after the fact.

Thanks pug..Probably be selling my rig next year as we are looking at a more permanent place south for winter and doing some over seas travel. Truck will have less than 44k miles. Truck has been great. No problems with wind or hills. Most mountains that we have been over have been above 45. Now we're talking about here to Alaska and back over the cassiar highway. Several 6-10 percent grades. Here in Idaho the roads have a lot of curves so you can't get much of a run at. Still above 45. Old truck pulling 12k less weight might be at 30-35 at top. Very happy with setup.

Earlier there was a post concerning aaccelator lag. I have noticed the same on my cummins. Took into local cummins shop for oil and fuel filters change and asked service dept/mgr about this. They test drove and made a statement that if you have petal to the metal when you start off, that all the fuel dumped into injectors that the air/fuel mixture would probably be too rich and maybe some black smoke. Suggested to try half throttle and see if there is a difference. Also called Sports Chassis and talked with sales mgr and he said to push the mode button which is suppose to change the transmission shift points when starting out. He said to do this prior to even turning truck ignition on. Don't know. I do push the mode button so to start off in first but the truck is already running. Have to try when we head out

Well, I'm not sure what to do now. I can't find a leak, but she's dropping to 50-60lb overnight which, according to a guy at Sportchassis, says that's within FL specs.

Another guy at SC says that, because of the drop and hold at 60, check to the seats and cab airbags. Done that. I just hate the thought of having to leave her at a shop for days while they try to find it.

Oldman

You're worrying over nothing. On an air brake straight truck more than 3 psi per minute would put you out of service. I've seen brand new trucks from the factory that won't hold air overnight. I agree it would be nice if your truck would hold air for days on end but most don't.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

A little feedback based on Nigel input ... I do not hold air overnight either. Everything is working right and when I park and leave the truck overnight, I am at 50 to 60 PSI on the tank. Everything deflates ... seats, cab, and axle.

-Roberto

When I start my truck and let the air pressure build to 115-125 lbs. I then shut off and the air pressure will hold for 3-4 days. It stays at about 25-35 lbs. The rear tank seems to retain a lot more air pressure though and the rear air bags stay inflated. I can pull the manual air release back and have lots of air pressure. Not sure if these two tanks have a blocking valve/check valve installed between the two tanks hence the rear tank holds pressure for a lot longer time than the front tank

Archived