Does anyone live full time in an Airstream

We lived in a 30' Airstream for about 18 months 22 years ago. They are limited in storage compared to other RVs of similar size, but a 30'er is in no way a "small" RV, at least to me. As mentioned above, putting a cap on the truck bed adds a ton of storage.

Why did we choose an Airstream? Because we wanted something quality, that would last. You can't say that about most RVs, especially not back then.

That said, this time around we went with a 40' motorhome. Our toad is a full-size pickup - with a cap to allow more storage. :)

What did you tow it with?

pavlovamericanroadtrip.blogspot.com

This thread got me to thinking..... used to see a lot of Airstreams on the road but not so much any more. Don't know why. In 11 years of f/t ing (jhad to stop in '13) we only encountered 2 Of them. One, a Bambi that was towed by a Porche SUV, in a campground. (The owner said he refused to ride in, much less own any kind of truck!!!) The other was a big one towed by a Ram diesel. They were fulltimers boondocking at Craiggy Wash just out of Lake Havisu City. They had a fairly large topper on the truck for extra storage & loved the Trailer.

I'm sure Wally Bynum turned over in his grave when Thor bought the company.

I'm sure Wally Bynum turned over in his grave when Thor bought the company.

The Airstream travel trailers have been though a long series of owners and the Bynum family has not been part of the company for many years now. I suspect you may be right about the early years of Thor ownership but it seems to have returned to a pretty good quality level today, based upon what I am told by a couple of RV techs that I know well. But the catch today is two fold. They still have very little storage space due to the lack of overhead cabinets with the curved sides and take a look at the prices of new ones! It used to be that their owners were rather cult like, nearly as much so as are those of Harley Davidson, and like the Harley crowd, they were willing to pay what it took to get the Airstream name but with the economic conditions of today, I suspect that has shrunk the membership in the cult. Most of us are unable or unwilling to pay $127k for a 31' long travel trailer that has no slides!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

The Airstream travel trailers have been though a long series of owners and the Bynum family has not been part of the company for many years now. I suspect you may be right about the early years of Thor ownership but it seems to have returned to a pretty good quality level today, based upon what I am told by a couple of RV techs that I know well. But the catch today is two fold. They still have very little storage space due to the lack of overhead cabinets with the curved sides and take a look at the prices of new ones! It used to be that their owners were rather cult like, nearly as much so as are those of Harley Davidson, and like the Harley crowd, they were willing to pay what it took to get the Airstream name but with the economic conditions of today, I suspect that has shrunk the membership in the cult. Most of us are unable or unwilling to pay $127k for a 31' long travel trailer that has no slides!

I believe you are right. Most of the charm is the look and the name these days. Most of our interest I think primarily was in the restoration of an old one, but we are learning it may not be the ideal fit for us due to lack of storage space.

pavlovamericanroadtrip.blogspot.com

We lived in a 25' Airstream Flying Cloud for 6 months. At the end of the 6 months, we decided that we loved the lifestyle, but not in an Airstream. As Full Timers there is just not enough room or storage. When we made the decision to go full time, we not only sold our house, but the airstream too. We are now in a 36' Mobile Suites and love it.

Rick & Mary Sorensen

Molly - Boston Terrier

2016 Ford F350 DRW 6.8 L diesel

2016 Mobile Suites 36RSSDB3

Full Timers w/ SD Residency

We've recently listed our 40' motor home so we can switch to a 34' Airstream. Many reasons for the change, but the fact is that we're doing it because it makes the most sense for us at this time. We looked at all sorts of coaches for several years before we bought our Foretravel three years ago, and the Foretravel made the most sense for us then. Our needs have changed, and the Foretravel is no longer the best choice for us. The tow vehicle will probably be an F250, probably '08-'11 or so, with some sort of cover over the bed.

The main reason we didn't go with the Airstream to begin with was the lack of storage space in the coach. However, we've been living full-time in the Foretravel for a year and a half now, and there are some things we've taken with us that have NEVER been unpacked in that time. If they are really important to us we'll put them in storage. If not, they will go away. For example, we now carry two lightweight folding chairs and two heavier lounge ones. That gives us a place for non-camping guests to sit outside, but those four chairs take us space. We'll probably get rid of two of those chairs.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

What did you tow it with?

A Dodge 1-ton dually with a 440 engine. I wouldn't want to tow a 30'er with less - but that's me. I want my equipment to loaf, not strain.

1994 Blue Bird Wanderlodge WB40

Full-timers since 2016, domiciled in Crestview, Florida

Archived