Florida Drivers License Requirements for motorhomes?

walkerfam7

Hello everyone, my husband and I are flying to Florida on Monday to establish our residency in Bushnell and just trying to get all of our ducks in a row. I feel confident on everything but one thing, The drivers license. Here's the thing....I have been told (and it's one of the reasons we chose Florida over Texas) that my husband would NOT have to have a special license to drive the RV in Florida. However, when I went to the DMV website to double check on requirements to get a DL, it says that there are four classes of DLs: Class A, B, C and E. A, B and C are CDLs and the site specifically says that a CDL is not required for those driving RVs for personal use. BUT...the only other class is E, which says it is for vehicles less than 26,000#. Ours is a 40' diesel pusher and is more than that. We don't really fit into any class. Are we going to run into trouble? Has anyone here gotten a DL who has a large motorhome in FL?

There is an exemption for RVs in the CDL requirements, so just the regular license will suffice. You are trying to read the regulations in a straight forward manner. Can't be done. What you do is read the most general, which says anything over 26000# requires CDL, then go to the CDL regs and there is the exemption, so you default back to general license since Florida doesn't have the non-CDL enhanced license like Texas does.

Reading regulations and trying to follow them, is a great way to cure insomnia. :D

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Barb is exactly right. Several years ago I was told I needed the CDL and I went to a nearby office and they told me to and told me about study guides, etc. I went to the Handbook and saw the exemption so I e-mailed the State office from their website and was given the straight info. Just to be sure about a year later when I ran across the documentation again, I e-mailed them again from the website and got the same answer.

Now, not sure a LEO in another state will believe all my e-mails and drivers handbook, but I will cross that bridge if I every am at it!

Welcome to FL, I am a life long citizen of the State so when we started full timing I had no decision to make on that issue!

Bob & BJ
On the road (part time) to ournextstop!
2019 Bounder 35P
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Oscar)

There is an exemption for RVs in the CDL requirements

I am so glad I peeked in on this thread. I was wondering about this too. :)

"A good engineer is always a wee bit conservative, at least on paper." -Scotty, "Star Trek: The Next Generation: Relics"

Blog: Wayward Waylander | Twitter: @WaywardWaylandr | Instagram: WaywardWaylander | Google+: Wayward Waylander

Barb is exactly right. Several years ago I was told I needed the CDL and I went to a nearby office and they told me to and told me about study guides, etc. I went to the Handbook and saw the exemption so I e-mailed the State office from their website and was given the straight info. Just to be sure about a year later when I ran across the documentation again, I e-mailed them again from the website and got the same answer.

Now, not sure a LEO in another state will believe all my e-mails and drivers handbook, but I will cross that bridge if I every am at it!

Welcome to FL, I am a life long citizen of the State so when we started full timing I had no decision to make on that issue!

Thank you! Another question you may be able to answer because I am kinda confused. I have to get a drivers license and register my vehicle as well. The only places I have ever done both is in Virginia and Michigan and they were both taken care of at the same place. When looking up info in Florida I am seeing two different offices, the DMV and something called the Tax Collector's office. Do I have to go to two different places?

Yes. It depends on where you are at. Here in Orange Park FL both offices are in the same place along with a few other offices. But in some places it will be two different locations.

I assume you are going to Bushnell SKP park. They will have all the answers you don't even know enough to ask yet!

Bob & BJ
On the road (part time) to ournextstop!
2019 Bounder 35P
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Oscar)

Archived