23' Tioga - Where to add 2nd battery?

A_K_Chesnut

I'm looking to add a second 12v house battery to our '93 23'6" Tioga Montara. Currently it has just one, located under the upper entry step. Anyone have a similar rig mind telling me what they did? How about a good location for an inverter? Thanks!

DSC_0836-M.jpg

Husband and wife team.

Preparing for full time,

starting August, 2016!

Someone I know put them in the bottom of an inside cabinet. To do that you need to use AGM batteries, since flooded batteries will off gas and be dangerous.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Just a comment! Please consider AGM batteries if you are considering putting batteries anywhere in your living area.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

Just a comment! Please consider AGM batteries if you are considering putting batteries anywhere in your living area.

Safe Travels!

Oh yes. Won't put anything but AGM if I have to put them in the same space we are breathing.

Husband and wife team.

Preparing for full time,

starting August, 2016!

Internal spaces could always be modified (like in a cabinet) to be "fully enclosed" and be vented outside to allow for air circulation and off-gassing.

It might also be an option to "drop" the existing space to allow for additional room... cutting through the existing space and installing a larger battery box mounted to the underside of your rig. You would have to determine if that's possible and if there is enough ground clearance, but it's kind of convenient in that you still have ready access to the tops of your batteries from the existing step storage area and it doesn't require relocating your existing wiring.

If you know of a solar installer, pop in and talk to him. He could tell you if it's feasible or not to add more batteries and where. He's probably installed on a RV like yours.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

• 2 weeks later...

Though not a Class C, our 98 T28' Bounder had room for only 2 6V batteries in the bay they had signed of the battery. We used those two spots and were able to slide in Trojan T125's, not enough headroom for the T145's.

But we had room up in the engine bay, to add two more T145's. A little welding to the frame for pans to hold two batteries in boxes. Admit we loss some power due to the runs of cables, but still had more overall AH's available. I elected to charge these off of the alternator while driving, as well as I added a dedicated Battery Tender for while near shore power, or storage, or running the generator.

Class C's engine bays are not quite as roomie, but you might be able to add a battery?

And yeah, otherwise the obvious solution is to find a place inside close to the inverter, an add AGM's. Really probably the best overall solution, if you plan on keeping the unit for the years ahead. (Nice looking C it be:)!). As mentioned, with proper sizing and care, 10 years are easily possible with a good quality AGM. And heck, if keeping it the rig indefinitely, going to Lithium is penciling out now too. (Much less expensive to jump to Lithium if your current equipment is relatively compatible with programming options to also support Lithium, vs needing also update those components too.)

Best of luck to you,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Thanks Smitty!

No additional room where the current battery is and that engine bag is jam packed. I'm not welder but am comfortable with intermediate wiring, so I think AGMs in a cabinet somewhere will be the solution.

Husband and wife team.

Preparing for full time,

starting August, 2016!

OEM battery box will accept two GC2 batteries, woohoo! Need to take a better look to make sure it'll handle the weight, will do that next time we're over there. The current 12v deep cycle in it is still in good shape, we'll keep it. Intend on putting it in a plastic tub we can just pull out when parked for extended periods, easy to wire in through the vent holes in the house battery box.

Husband and wife team.

Preparing for full time,

starting August, 2016!

Archived