Traveling with guns

mel1953

This website contains the most up-to-date information I've found on the internet, GBLS/Gun Laws by State

It is what you get with the printed/online version they sell, but in abbreviated form. It also highly recommends contacting individual states for current law.

You may possess a firearm while passing through every state in the U.S.A., BUT it must be IAW the federal and individual state laws governing same.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a sign at all non 51% establishments that sell beer/wine, not for consumption on the premises. It is usually covered up, but is there. It is a TABC sign that says:

"The unlicensed possession of a weapon on these premises is a felony with a maximum penalty of 10 years imprisonment and a fine not to exceed $10,000."

I think that sign is one of the great things about Texas. Use Illinois as an Example, They put up Gun Free Zone or the symbol for NO GUNS., no buts or ifs.

I like it when I know someone could be carrying.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Clay you never know anyway. People intent on doing bad things could not care less about a sign.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

We had to leave our rig at the customs holding area in Belize City when we took for for a month (flying) to Costa Rica. We were told that a single empty cartridge case was grounds for fine and jail time. Sweep your rig of anything having to do with firearms before crossing into Mexico or Canada.

We were camped at at FS CG near Couer-d-Alaine several years ago and we were talking with a Canadian camped nearby. He told us that his daughter had spent a summer working at a border checkpoint. She would greet the crossees and direct them to the appropriate point. If anyone had southern or SW plates, they were automatically directed to the LEO level of border officers. One guy came in with TN plates and was directed to two immigration officer. "Where's the gun sir?" "Uh, uh, under the seat!" It was a fulll-auto unregistered Uzi. He was facing an automaatic jail sentence in Canada and then the '10 years and/or $10,000' when he returned to the US.

Most folks have no ability with a side-arm (I shot IPSC and IDPA for a number of years and most of the competitors were dangerous to everyone around with a side-arm; As a Range Officer I DQ'ed one of the top shooters at the state IPSC meet for breaking 90 degree rule but was over-ruled). Just get a Winchester or Marlin lever action in .357 magnum. If you decide on a side-arm, then it is best to join an IPSC or IDPA club and go through several thousand rounds in competition.

With no concealed carry permit you need to look up the Federal laws for transporting a firearm across state lines. For the most states, this means in a locked container unloaded and ammunition has to be in a separate container, usually in the trunk as well. Every state has it's own laws but if you follow the federal laws you will be 99.9% within the law. If you want it for personal protection you best get a conceal permit but keepin mind it is not valid in all states.

When you say ammo has to be in a separate container, does that mean another locked container? Or is that not essential?

YoungFulltimers.com is dedicated to informing non-retired RVers who live on the road. This news-focused online publication should appeal to fulltimers of all ages.

When you say ammo has to be in a separate container, does that mean another locked container? Or is that not essential?

Again, it depends on the state. Lock it up and you will never have to second guess. You still need to look at each state you pass through. HERE is an NRA article on the Federal transport of firearms.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

My wife and I flew from California to N.Carolina to attend a shooting competition the week after 9/11. Interesting experience to say the least but no problem. I just looked up firearms law when flying, took a copy with me in the event a Southwest agent didn't know the law. It was fun opening up the gun cases and showing the agent (who didn't have a clue about what was an unloaded weapon). She wanted me to open the cases and show they were unloaded on the counter. NO, I suggested that we to to an extra room or on the floor at the end of the counter. My wife looked on as 4 sheriff deputies, two Southwest agents and about 100 travelers looked on as I sat on the floor opening the cases and working the actions to prove they were unloaded. No problem and we were on our way.

FYI, the deputies had all sorts of questions about the contest and the weapons we were carrying.

I won't travel anywhere I have to go un-healed. No Mexico and no Canada.

I also live in Texas and until recently, I had a CHL, since 1995. When I went online to start the process to renew it some things have changed.

It is now a License to Carry Handgun and not a CDL, that must be a result of the law change regarding open carry? Because of my age, over 65,

it was half price, $70, and I didn't need a new photo, they indicated that they would use the old one. I was not required to spend a day in class or

prove on a gun range that I can hit the target. The process was much better and it took almost no effort. I hope that those of you with a CDL from Texas like the

changes.

When we go t o Canada we completely cleanse the Rv of anything that might have anything to do with a firearm we do not put a NRA sticker on the truck or RV.

I would suggest you look at the provided links and completely understand the various laws concerning firearms in the various States..

Yeah, I am a bit slow on the uptake. I take the diesel truck up for my spring fishing trip in Canada. My "best" outdoor clothes are camo. I wore them for a couple of years crossing the border and was invited to spend 30 minutes in a little room each time.

Last year, I hid the camo clothes and avoided the little room.

Remember the Constitution does NOT apply north of the border.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I use a great app on our cellphone that gives us all the gun laws of each state that covers everything from permits to transportation laws. It's called CCW by Workman Consulting LLC in the app stores. It costs a small fee but well worth the knowledge. This app is about empowering the CCW (concealed or open carry permit) holder (or anyone who wishes to lawfully transport a firearm in any state.) It gives you the direct information that you need to follow the maze of arcane, complicated, and dissimilar gun laws in each state and in each situation. It provides all this information with an easy-to-use User Interface. Laws updated every month or more frequently!

Stacey & Gary

PauHanaTravels.com - Pau Hana = "Done With Work"

2016 Discovery 37R with a 2013 Ford F150 FX4 toad

A friend of mine crossed the Canadian boarder a number of times. He was always sent to the holding area while his camper was searched for hours. He asked why the hassle and the border agent pointed to his front bumper and his NRA licence plate. We're both life members, but removed the plates. Just wasn't worth th aggravation.

Jerry and Joan

2014 Ford F350 with 6.7 turbo, TrailerSaver

2014 40' Heartland Gateway Fifth wheel

iLoveRVlife.com

• 2 months later...

Novia

Hey! Even I have never travelled with a gun or any arms. But I recently read a blog ( http://www.armmove.com/en/blog/moving-tips/how-to-move-firearms-across-borders/) regarding this topic and I think it will help you . They are saying that you can actually bring your guns across the border if you declare the weapons, pay some fee and provide all the required documents . They have also mentioned about its safe packing, transportation etc.

Novia

Hey! Even I have never travelled with a gun or any arms. But I recently read a blog ( http://www.armmove.com/en/blog/moving-tips/how-to-move-firearms-across-borders/) regarding this topic and I think it will help you . They are saying that you can actually bring your guns across the border if you declare the weapons, pay some fee and provide all the required documents . They have also mentioned about its safe packing, transportation etc.

Lets qualify that. Long guns-except for some semi-automatics yes. Handgun-only if you are participating in a sanctioned shooting event, and if you can prove you are already enrolled in the shoot; plus that handgun must meet CA regulations. No large capacity magazines for either long or handguns.

• 4 weeks later...

A question, if weapons are locked in a floor safe and there's nothing to indicate there's any firearms on board can/do they require you to open your safe? I know in the U.S. forcing one to open a closed safe triggers all sorts of rules/laws on search and seizure but what about Canada?

A question, if weapons are locked in a floor safe and there's nothing to indicate there's any firearms on board can/do they require you to open your safe? I know in the U.S. forcing one to open a closed safe triggers all sorts of rules/laws on search and seizure but what about Canada?

When crossing an international border, including the US, there is no such protection and no search warrant needed. If you refuse to open the safe, they certainly would not allow you to enter, possibly worse.............

But suppose that you don't get searched after having answered no to their question if you have any guns on board, since they always ask, now you have violated an additional law in crossing the border. Who knows how you might get caught but things like vehicle accidents, burglaries, and do happen occasionally.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Keep in mind that internal rules in a country are often different than the rules when crossing their border so what might not be allowed in the country is acceptable when crossing into it.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

If you need to cross borders find out the rules for carrying legally or leave them home. Although I have not tried it, I have read here that some folks leave their guns with a Pawn shop until they return from Canada or Mexico. Remember that ignorance is no excuse. By that I mean that there will be no moral ground or appeal at a border crossing. It is their job to interdict contraband and prohibited items.

For example we took a over/under shotgun with us through Canada on the way to Alaska. All we had to do was complete the paperwork and have it ready, and any fees at the border. Since I had all our Identification ( I always use my military retiree ID) ready and paperwork done they commented on how they rarely see "tourists" who took the time to get it right. We offered to show them the shotgun rifle combo I brought, but they declined and waved us through. We were traveling with another rig that year, and asked if we could pull over and wait for them. Well they took much longer than we did and they had no guns at all! Then they were pulled over and I walked over to ask what the delay was and the Canadian Border patrol officer politely asked me to back away until they were finished. We were laughing thinking that they would have a time explaining their plastic baggies of white powder. They stored their laundry detergent that way claiming it saved space. That was not and issue but being searched on a rare hot sunny May day for an hour was a drag. I later found out that when they asked if he had any guns on board he said no. Then they asked again explaining that he could turn around or declare it now with no additional penalty and he got belligerent telling me that he wasn't putting up with them not taking his word when he told them no three times and went off on them. Don't give a reason and they won't hassle you. If being searched because you were the tenth vehicle since the last search is enough to set you off, do everyone including yourself a favor and stay home. :rolleyes:

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I've lived in Metro Detroit for most of my life - and have travelled back and forth to Canada literally hundreds of times. If there's anything I've learned over the years - it is that you are NOT some anonymous traveller when you pull up to the booth. They've already ran your license plate and likely know who you are before you came to a stop. They've undoubtedly scanned your vehicle for radioactive materials (we were pulled over and questioned specifically about this - until we explained that one of our passengers had had a medical test that involved the injection of some sort of radioactive "dye"). They identified the radiation before we stopped at the window - and just needed to confirm the source.

The other thing is that they have the power to completely and totally ruin your day. The vehicle I was driving was detained for nearly 4 hours while it and everything in it was thoroughly searched - all because an idiot of an acquaintance who was a passenger in the back seat decided to answer the officer's "where were you born?" question with a smart ass'ed "in a hospital" response.

When crossing the border - ensure that everybody has their Identification at the ready, have your window down and the radio off before you come to a stop at the customs booth, answer every question clearly, quickly and concisely (they don't want to hear long winded explanations or stories!) .... and most importantly - be 100% legal !!!!! They can and will find contraband - and will completely ruin your day if they decide to go looking for it!

The Spacenorman

2012 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 43' DFT

2012 Jeep Liberty

Our Travel Website: www.penquinhead.com​

• 3 weeks later...

The handgun issue is controversial to say the least, but I will say, as a 39 year 48-state and Canada truck driver with over 7 million miles, I have never had a single issue carrying a handgun anywhere, and guns are prohibited from any commercial vehicles, without exception. The question is, are you trained to carry, and more importantly, are you prepared for the ramifications should something happen where you actually have to use the weapon? Having a gun in your vehicle can give you peace of mind, having to USE the gun can get you locked up for a very long time in the wrong state! If you find yourself looking for answers to your questions in this or any other forum? You shouldn't be traveling with a handgun...

If you must travel with a handgun, know the State specific laws! They change constantly! Following federal laws is just plain bad advise! As an example, if you're traveling across the great state of LA and someone tries to break into your RV at 3am, choot 'em, if you have it in you to do so (most don't). But if you're heading to Niagara Falls in beautiful upstate NY, better have a backup plan! While some say you can possess a firearm inside your own home (RV) without a license, traveling across NY in a vehicle with FL plates would cause one to assume that you have transported a weapon across state lines into NY. Trust me! You do not want to battle this out with authorities or the courts! They are arrogant, and will not admit if they're wrong; they'll only plea to lesser charges! Do you want or need that hassle and the trip interruption?

So what's a back up plan? First and foremost, know the law in each state! Second, research alternative weapons. Carrying a TASER for example is legal in 45 states, and can do the job of self-defense as good as a handgun if you know how to use one. Plus, you can get a nice one for under $100. I have personally switched to 9 million volt stun gun this year, which looks like a flashlight, even when holstered. I bought it from defenseproducts101.com for $79. There are lots of alternatives to handguns out there. I heard a story on a trucking board where the driver repelled an attacker breaking into his truck with a rapid-fire paintball gun. There are lots of things out there that can do extreme damage to an attacker. A can of wasp spray will disable them for at least five minutes; that's some really nasty stuff! You can permanently mount a cup holder by your door with a can of wasp spray in it, as well as in your under belly storage for quick retrieval outside.

There are a lot of negatives to carrying a handgun on an RV crossing state lines, however, self-defense should not be ignored on the road, especially if you do a lot of boon docking. Yes, I carried for 39 years on the road, but last Christmas I treated myself to the stun gun and decided to leave my guns at home. I'm getting too old to worry about the gun laws, but I'm also getting to old to defend myself in a conventional manner! I have my stun gun on my belt at all times and it has never even been questioned by anyone, along with four cans of wasp spray strategically located throughout the RV. I feel pretty confident I can defend my home anywhere I travel, and I don't worry about keeping up with the laws anymore.

IF you're absolutely sold on the idea of carrying a gun, you better be prepared to use it! As I understand it, about 0.1% of people defending themselves with a gun are disarmed by the attacker who then turns the gun on them! While there are no known statistics on people who can't pull the trigger in an attack, best guess estimates are about 50 to 60%, or one in two. Ask yourself if you're prepared to take a life, and if the answer is no, find an alternative defense!!

Although I am new to this forum, I am not new to life on the road! I have had four RV's over the years, all Class A, and I have lived for 39 years in the bunk of a semi on the road. It would probably take most people seven or eight lifetimes to do as many miles as I have done, and I will tell you this from my experience: With over seven million miles logged, I have only had two causes to defend myself, and both were my own fault for putting myself in the position to have to do so. Be aware of your surroundings, don't talk to strangers in strange places, and stick to well lit, well traveled areas. I also avoid staying in truck stops and inner cities. Oh, and the guy asking you for a cigarette or the correct time? He's probably casing you! Ignore him and walk faster! If you don't stop and interact, they'll probably look for someone else!

The chances of having to defend yourself or your property are slim to none. Be aware, be prepared in some form, and have a plan! But don't be consumed by all this. Enjoy life on the road, as you'll probably never have to worry about self defense!

rtrvgbanner_1.jpg
http://rtrvg.com/blog/
2004 Coachman, F-53, 36'

Welcome BigRich. I agree with most of what you said. the only caution I would advise is the use of wasp spray. Better to use pepper spray - you can buy formulas that are legal in almost every jurisdiction.....bear spray for example is legal where certain pepper sprays are not. The issue with wasp spray is that it can cause blindness and other issues. Best to avoid that lawsuit. JMO. k

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived