What unique item do you keep in your RV?

Kirk W

You replaced the entire trailer frame?? That must have cost a fortune.

Actually.. that's pretty consistent axle weight ratings for your GVWR since a good chunk of weight is carried on your tow vehicles hitch rather than all on the axles. It's still never a bad idea to upgrade the suspension and tires.. especially if you're going off pavement... which is what I think you have in mind if I remember your previous posts correctly.

Not quite the entire thing, but it has a 3/4 length, channel-iron sub-frame which the axles are mounted to and reinforces the original frame. It also has reinforced axles. It was quite the project.

I don't plan on carrying anything really ridiculous like a cement statue or a fully-functional 6ft water fountain, but it does enable me to add a pound here or there without worrying.

2007 Keystone Springdale 245 FWRLL-S (modified)

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

Cody and Kye, border collie extraordinaires

Latest departure date: 10/1/2017

Find us at www.nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We haven't had our 1st outing yet, as we just purchased our mh for full-timing next spring and we are busy packing her up. But, when we do go my sewing machine will definitely be packed along with everything else that I use for creating. I will also have a light box, paper cutter, yarn, knitting needles, etc. We also will be taking our bean bag game (we've had it for 50+ years and never heard it called corn hole until recently).

I believe corn hole is slightly different than bean bag, either bigger or smaller bds, (bigger I believe) and different spacing hole to hole 30 ft vs 25 ft.

Ah, well... We aren't living in an RV anymore, but...

When we were, I was homeschooling high school students so I carried around the necessary equipment to teach advanced biology. I had the dissection kits, as well as dissection specimens on board: cow eyeball, fetal pig, etc.

Stephen & Karen and our six boys, ages 21, 21, 19, 17, 14, & 11
Stephen - Military retiree (as of summer 2012) & current DOI employee (Big Bend National Park)
Karen - Homeschooling stay-at-home mom & veteran
San Antonio, Texas

Fulltimed May 2013 - July 2014 (yes, all eight of us!)
Open Range "Rolling Thunder" (H396RGR - fifth wheel toy hauler bunkhouse) - SOLD
Ford F-350 diesel dually - for the camper
Ford E-350 fifteen passenger van - for the crew

Our unfinished travel blog: http://coach-and-six.blogspot.com/

I carry Genology Materials as I never know were my surnames will pop up. Even through we may not be a related on this side the ocean we often have many common interest.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Seems like a waste. You never heard of "road kill"? :oB)

Sometimes I can't resist the devil inside.

LOL!

I always said that was the best-traveled fetal pig on the planet.

Stephen & Karen and our six boys, ages 21, 21, 19, 17, 14, & 11
Stephen - Military retiree (as of summer 2012) & current DOI employee (Big Bend National Park)
Karen - Homeschooling stay-at-home mom & veteran
San Antonio, Texas

Fulltimed May 2013 - July 2014 (yes, all eight of us!)
Open Range "Rolling Thunder" (H396RGR - fifth wheel toy hauler bunkhouse) - SOLD
Ford F-350 diesel dually - for the camper
Ford E-350 fifteen passenger van - for the crew

Our unfinished travel blog: http://coach-and-six.blogspot.com/

I have carried a 110V wire welder for 2 years now and it has been quite handy. Last year while hosting in a CA state park, I was able to weld the wheels back onto a broken down mower and according to the Ranger saved the state from another budget disaster. :) I recently welded the broken steps on our fifth wheel which saved a bunch of time and $$. I like to fix things and the welder has been handy and since this is my full time home, why not have the tools I like to use. The welder rides in the pickup bed and really isn't much bigger than a sew machine. I'm now looking for a small portable cutting torch set to carry. I also carry 2-6 ton jack stands and brake tools and have done complete brake jobs on my chevy dually while on the road. I even carry a Honda 1300 VTX on a swivel trailer attached to the fifth wheel frame, (all welded on with the welder). Scaled weight is under 24k loaded for 5 axles.

I recently made a couple of knifes from RR spikes working with a blacksmith at another volunteer gig, hmm, might be looking for a forge and anvil.

Greg

Straying off topic for a min, but i've been interested in teaching myself how to weld. Anyone recommend a portable cheap 110v setup that would be good to start with? How about those harbor freight machines? I can also scour craigslist for a used setup from a more reputable brand....

Straying off topic for a min, but i've been interested in teaching myself how to weld. Anyone recommend a portable cheap 110v setup that would be good to start with? How about those harbor freight machines? I can also scour craigslist for a used setup from a more reputable brand....

I found my 110v welder on CL while on the road for $60. Most of the welder components are off shelf parts just assembled by different companies. As long as you are not relying on the tools for professional employment/use, HF tools are fine. Just last night another camper stopped by and liked the brackets I had welded to my front leg stands for carrying boards to place under the tires for leveling. I told him to buy a 8' metal stud and cut it in half and I can weld it in for him. The welder really is a handy tool.

Greg

For the first 10 years fulltiming we carried three to four windsurfing boards, and a bunch of sails and other related equipment. We just this winter got rid of it all. My knees and ankles are now "beyond windsurfing". And Danielle is more into line dancing now.

I still carry a smoker with me that is capable of doing three racks of ribs, but I'd bet that is not very "unique".

When I did solar installations I had a bunch of stuff that everyone that has solar systems has, so it was not unique. I just had far more of it :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

For us the DW has her sewing machine, enough knitting needles and crochet hooks to fill a small suitcase, numerous jigsaw puzzles, and electronic keyboard.

Myself I have a laptop, desktop, three external hard drives, and an Xbox one.

We both have iPads and iPhones

Perhaps not exactly unusual but it all is things we can't seem to do without

See you on the road!

For the first 10 years fulltiming we carried three to four windsurfing boards, and a bunch of sails and other related equipment. We just this winter got rid of it all.

:(

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."       Will Rogers        

Got Tubes?

HiFi buff, with an every changing hifi system in our rig.

Standard Equipment that stays constant due to duel usage of TV connectivity:

-Marantz NR1504

-Oppos BDL-103 Darby BluRay

-Musial Fidelity V192 Link ii

-Marin Logan ElecroMotion 14" Ceiling Speakers

-A/B Speaker Switch -> Niels SP4 Signal Speaker - SP remote volume control

I'm also also rotate out various tube gear from the home inventory:

-Cary SLP98 FI

-Cary SLP05

-AES AE-3 DJH Modified

-Peachtree Grand Pre

-Lite DAC60 GResearh Modified

-Various smaller tube headphone amps

-A fleet of various tubes for rolling

My DW drew the line when I had designed a modified cabinet to carry a turn table for some LP spinning... Still negotiating on that, and have a sweet Audio Research Steve Huntley modified SP3 Phono set aside for this purpose:)!

We make do, and really enjoy ourselves on the road:)!

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

I have carried a 110V wire welder for 2 years now and it has been quite handy. Last year while hosting in a CA state park, I was able to weld the wheels back onto a broken down mower and according to the Ranger saved the state from another budget disaster. :) I recently welded the broken steps on our fifth wheel which saved a bunch of time and $$. I like to fix things and the welder has been handy and since this is my full time home, why not have the tools I like to use. The welder rides in the pickup bed and really isn't much bigger than a sew machine. I'm now looking for a small portable cutting torch set to carry. I also carry 2-6 ton jack stands and brake tools and have done complete brake jobs on my chevy dually while on the road. I even carry a Honda 1300 VTX on a swivel trailer attached to the fifth wheel frame, (all welded on with the welder). Scaled weight is under 24k loaded for 5 axles.

I recently made a couple of knifes from RR spikes working with a blacksmith at another volunteer gig, hmm, might be looking for a forge and anvil.

Greg

Our daughter once bought a "small" anvil. I couldn't lift it. Can't imagine loading one into an RV. :)

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

:(

I know, Dennis. It is SAD..... :(

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Up until next month I have been carrying a wire Fred welder and plasma cutter. I will leave them with MIL this year. Hope we don't need them. Small drill press, portable band saw, reloading press and kayak.

Ye gads Ron, no plasma cutter or even a welder! You may not need them but what about your friends?

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

I schlepp a piano ... a Yamaha CP300 ... 88 weighted action keys and onboard speaker system. The Keyboard and case weighs in at a hair under 100 lbs. I also carry a small "T" stand (to set the keyboard on), a folding piano bench and a small "gig bag" with a 25 ft 110V extension cord, the keyboard's power cable and the piano's sustain pedal. I use the piano to hold up my nightly glass of bourbon ... and as a conversation starter when I'm sitting out on the patio playing.

We met a couple at Jojoba Hills in California who travel with several musical instruments - guitars, etc. - but the most unusual thing was the double bass (upright bass, bass fiddle...) that she lugged around in a small motorhome!

We'll be picking up at least my 12-string guitar when we pass by our storage unit in about a month, but other than that and a small sewing machine, we're not too unusual (not counting our personalities, of course).

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

We carry a "Jigglin' George" exercise machine, also know as a Chi exercise machine. About the size of a small sewing machine (I also carry one of those) so it fits under the couch when not in use. You lay on the floor and place your ankles on the machine and it moves from side to side relaxing you clear up to the neck. Great for that tired, tight back and neck after a day of towing. They come in all price ranges, I got mine on Amazon for $80 and free shipping 7-8 years ago but they can be as high as $500. Great if you have slow leg circulation.

Check it out: http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=original+chi+machine&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=79095522192&hvpos=1t3&hvexid=&hvnetw=s&hvrand=13616276745351820705&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_50jm8enmpx_b:

'12 Dodge Ram HD Crew Cab Long Bed

3500 Cummins Diesel

'07 HitchHiker II 29.5 LKTG

We met a couple at Jojoba Hills in California who travel with several musical instruments - guitars, etc. - but the most unusual thing was the double bass (upright bass, bass fiddle...) that she lugged around in a small motorhome!

Our daughter played double bass in her school orchestra. When we bought a new car the test drive included going home to see if her bass would fit. Later she bought a metal one so she could strap it to the top of her not big enough car. When that is your instrument of choice...

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I like the 6' fountain idea. My plan was to go with one of those in a small pond then running down hill to a basalt column with a hole drilled down the middle to allow water to bubble up and over into a waterless pond.

If you do get the 6' fountain set up, let me know. I will drive a great distance to see it, perhaps even help set it up.

My gadget was to scrap the standard ht clothes dryer for a shorter one and install a Fisher Paykel d/w drawer in between.

We were parked in a cg in Davenport FL & a day or two later a couple backed into the site next to us with a TT. They started unloading the trailer. The entire floor - front to back & side to side was filled with concrete yard ornaments! That's not all. The bed of their PU was also filled with more of 'em. Took 3 days to unload everything. In the meantime they stayed in a motel. I asked how far they'd driven & the lady told me they'd come from north Iowa at 40 mph & stayed in motels 5 nights along the way. Also set up 2 dog runs.

Ron

We were parked in a cg in Davenport FL & a day or two later a couple backed into the site next to us with a TT. They started unloading the trailer. The entire floor - front to back & side to side was filled with concrete yard ornaments! That's not all. The bed of their PU was also filled with more of 'em. Took 3 days to unload everything. In the meantime they stayed in a motel. I asked how far they'd driven & the lady told me they'd come from north Iowa at 40 mph & stayed in motels 5 nights along the way. Also set up 2 dog runs.

Ron

Sounds like an episode of "Hoarders: Buried Alive."

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Archived